|Copyright 1987 Wingnut Films
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- Derek - Peter Jackson! In this, his first film, he is: Producer, Director, Actor, Makeup Artist, and Writer. Derek is a wonderfully violent and nerdy bugger with some revolutionary ideas in the field of brain surgery. Member of the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service, last seen on his way to the alien's home planet.
- Barry - Member of the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service, spends lots of time suffering his way through being splattered with blood and entrails.
- Frank - Seems to be the leader of the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service, also sings the title song.
- Ozzy - Final member of the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service, a little on the weird/violent side.
- Giles - Hapless collector who is almost eaten.
- Robert - A retarded alien, played by Peter Jackson!
- Alien Leader - Concealed in the guise of a old man most of the movie, he finally bursts into his horrid "true" form under duress. Sort of looks like a pregnant Rogaine ad. Derek bores through him with the chainsaw.
|This is what bad movies are all about folks, I'm talking a couple of blokes, some chicken guts, automatic weapons, and aliens eating people! All written/produced/directed/acted/SFX'd by a budding Peter Jackson, it's almost a shame we lost him to work on "The Lord of the Rings" and other Tolkien works. The plot is simple and nicely executed, considering the budget they were under it's almost poetry.
Derek, Barry, Frank, and Ozzy are all members of New Zealand's premiere alien butt kicking unit: the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service. When a town is attacked and butchered by aliens (who intend to market humans as fast food) they are put into action. Abe's Oddysee ripped off this movie so bad it hurts.
The team is very human, several aliens take Barry by surprise and he only escapes certain death on account of his teammate. Derek is busy torturing Robert, thereby causing a good deal of alien screaming, and the ruckus brings every bastard in earshot running. What follows is almost a ballet of gore and clumsiness, at the end of which Derek plummets off the cliff and onto uncomfortable looking rocks. He's not dead, but royally screwed up since a chunk of his mind falls out at regular intervals.
Meanwhile, a charity collector happens into the area, and is soon scooped up by the aliens for a victory feast. His rescue dominates a good portion of the team's efforts as they sneak in, dump out the vat he is being marinated in, then try to leave quietly. Fat chance! The boys are quickly embroiled in a messy gun battle with dozens of inept aliens and Ozzy couldn't be happier. (Ozzy is a psychopath, okay?)
Derek pulls himself together and jury rigs a couple of ways to keep his head together before embarking on a chainsaw rampage. The aliens are completely outmatched by the sheer insanity of the four saviors of the Earth (and the moon), they attempt an escape velocity retreat. Poor schmucks, it is too late when the leader realizes he has a Derek on board.
"Bad Taste" has multiple reasons for recommendation. Some are a little extreme, like Frank having to "drink some chuck" (vomit, he ends up having to guzzle vomit) and a sheep being struck by a light anti-tank weapon.
"Bahhhhh..." BOOM! *giggle*
Oh, by the way, here is a great interview with Peter O'Herne (Barry) for you to read.
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- People carrying axes are rarely friendly.
- Having a bayonet hammered into your heel sucks!
- Sledgehammers are laying around all over the place in New Zealand.
- The custom of calling a man's male friend his "mate" is rather disconcerting.
- When firing an Uzi you don't have to make "bang, bang" sounds.
- Brains are spoon food.
- When your skull is cracked and brains are falling out avoid tight hats.
- Blood is slick stuff, mop it up before someone gets killed.
- Vomit is delicious.
- Pine cones are about the least threatening thing you can chuck at someone who has a chainsaw.
- Kicking a decapitated torso in the balls accomplishes very little.
- 11 mins - Derek has an alien hanging upside down over the cliff edge? Hey, it's a bearded and retarded Peter Jackson!
- 19 mins - They're using their buddy as a battering ram!
- 23 mins - That dude has a sledge hammer embedded in his skull!
- 29 mins - Derek is rolling down a cliff! A tall cliff... ...oh SPLAT! Sorry Derek.
- 36 mins - Derek's still alive, but a flap of his skull flopped open and brains fell out! Hehehehe, he's stuffing them back in!
- 47 mins - Yum, blue vomit.
- 57 mins - Frank is taking fire from all sorts of directions.
- 71 mins - RPG!
- 79 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A SHEEP!
- 82 mins - Flying house...
- Alien Leader: "I suppose you're wondering why you're soaking in Reg's eleven secret herbs and spices." (I think he says Reg's...)
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Derek: "Stick all the pieces of brain in a plastic bag Barry, we'll need them for analysis." |
Barry: "No bloody way mate, you can come down here and do that yourself."
||Derek: "I'm a Derek, Dereks don't run."
||Frank: "I knew it was a mistake to issue weapons, we're a government department not a paramilitary unit." |
Derek: "Yeah, the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service."
Ozzy: "Wish we'd change that name."
||Alien Leader: "Aren't I lucky, I got a chunky bit!"
|Theme Song|| Listen to a clip from the soundtrack. |
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #41. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM by orknexus
I saw this movie on TV once as part of a programme about independant cinematographers and really enjoyed it! As I understand the budget for movie was almost a zero, but newertheless the movie was success due to the talent and ingenuity of the director. All the special effects have been self-made. I would like to watch it once again! :)
Reply #42. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Craig Smith
I was very proud to have an actor with the same name as mine in Bad taste!!Okay h'e not the main character or anything but still. I first experienced The bastards on a break i had at college, I went to my mates house and decided to watch the film, I'd seen it (the Video itself) many times as i would browse in the horror section in shops and found myself rather intrested in this film, but anyway Bad taste F**king rules, the pure s**tness of the actors, music and effects makes it so great, I can't stop watching the bugger!!! Thankyou badmovies.org for helping me to decide on spending time watching this b*tch of a creation. seriously thanks.
Reply #43. Posted on March 12, 2006, 03:22:49 AM by BruceCampbellVs.thearmyofdarkness
One of the top five greatest B horror films ever made! (Sorry, but Evil Dead 2:Dead by Dawn and Dead Alive are just slightly better)even still, this is one hell of a movie! Peter jackson gives us what will go down history as one of the all time greats. You have to give the man a hand for making this one over a period of four years and a budget of 250,000.
Reply #44. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by Total Nut
Did you see it when Peter Jackson got his Best Picture Oscar from (who else?) Steven Spielberg? The look on Spielberg's face when he read the envelope was priceless! I could only imagine what he was thinking: "It took me DECADES to get just one of these, and now this guy who did his first movie about fast food aliens when I was already breaking box-office records gets ELEVEN in one night?? Where's my gun? I'm going Hobbit hunting!" LOL!
Reply #45. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Cambot99
This movie feels rare now, can't find it in any video store ANYWHERE. It'd be nice if I got it on DVD, then I'd be so happy.
|Re: Bad Taste
Posted on February 15, 2007, 02:38:14 PM by sammyblot
a disgustingly fun film .. i havent seen it for some years now but its one i'll never forget (well .. kinda!!) ... and if i dont watch a film for years i do forget a lot of it!! ... so watching this again soon will be ... 'oh my god .. i forgot how gross this is' ... im sure!!! ... gotta love the stupidly disgustingly fun movies huh!!!!
|Re: Bad Taste
Posted on February 15, 2007, 07:15:05 PM by Torgo
Bad Taste is one of the greatest movies ever made.
Never fails to get me laughing hysterically.
|Re: Bad Taste
Reply #48. Posted on April 21, 2007, 07:16:15 PM by helen UK
I just love this movie, it's pure chic. I do love the evil dead trilogy & I can't really decide whether chopper chicks in zombie town, or, nazi surfer's must die (troma.. but the people that will read this probably know that already) are better than bad taste. But when I think about it, i just remember the freaky monkey rat thing and think to myself bad taste has it all. A wonderously funny film that takes it back to grass groots gore. I love the creativity of the SFX, it's all too easy these days with technology. These guys made a cracking film that will be loved for a long time, by all generations. BRAVO!!!!
|Pages: 1 ... 4 5  7 ||
|Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with Fair Use, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.|