|Copyright 1984 New World Pictures.
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- George Cooper - Photographer who has been doing work involving bums.
- Lauren - George's girlfriend, she has a pimple on her butt.
- Capt Bosch - Policeman, his wife is the first we see munched. We never see him drinking. (Cops always drink in bad movies remember?)
- Reverend - Daniel Stern! Guy who runs a soup kitchen, he has some cool hair.
- Murphy - Freelance reporter out to get a story, the only thing he does get is munched.
- Wilson - Corrupt director for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Reverend shoots him.
- C.H.U.D. - Bums who have been mutated by toxic waste into Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.
|Always suspected there was something funny about New York City and this film proves it. Capt Bosch is being forced by the police commissioner and others to cover up disappearences while the situation grows worse. Between the information Reverend, George, and Murphy gather the plot does thicken, into what I have no idea but it does thicken. We don't get to see the monsters very often which is pretty annoying, we didn't even get to see the diner attack, only the results. I do applaud this film for killing off the reporter though, if they had done in the photographer I might worship it. Ever wonder why the heavily armed and trained police never make it through but a chunky reporter does? (Me too.) The plot muddles around for a long time on Reverend and George running from C.H.U.D. in the sewers before wrapping up with a natural gas explosion. But it doesn't end there, we get to see John Goodman as a cop when C.H.U.D. attack a diner - and the movie ends! Though watching the monsters eat him would have made the film ten minutes longer, not a little man.|
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Stay way clear of manhole covers.
- Women are much less attractive when they are talking about a pimple on their ass.
- Girls - Never turn turn your head abruptly when someone is applying lipstick to you.
- When you know the sewer is being flooded with natural gas don't go down there. Darwin didn't figure on New Yorkers...
- There is nuclear waste buried under New York City.
- The New York City Police Department has flamethrowers.
- When investigating a sewer for monsters make sure you have a good flashlight.
- Screaming out your window for help in New York City is likely to bring more insults than succor.
- Cops leave their cars unlocked with keys in the ignition.
- 3 mins - Yes lovely, we get to watch a street sweeper for two minutes straight... ...oh, oh wait! Suck up the pigeon! Hit the gas and get the pigeon! Please, oh please... (it flew away) ...stupid bird.
- 30 mins - Some strange roaring going on in the sewers and you fools aren't running.
- 42 mins - Yeah, what does C.H.U.D. stand for?
- 43 mins - That guy just ate Reverend's quarter! He took it out of the pay phone and ate it! Wait, that's really not very threatening.
- 54 mins - So this guy was just carrying around a padlock?
- 60 mins - Now why is this woman going to open the sewer entrance in her basement? Just one of those, "I wonder what treasures are down here..." things?
- 62 mins - SHOWER SCENE! Pan down! Pan down! Pan down you Communists!
- 66 mins - Why did the neck elongate?
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||A C.H.U.D. roaring.
||Policeman: "She says some monster came out of the sewer and ate her grandfather."
||Murphy: "You figure it out! You may not know it but there's NRC men crawling all over this God damned city. Something's gone wrong and it's so bad nobody wants to talk about it. The cops are going nuts trying to figure out why a bag lady wants a handgun!"
||Wilson: "Two gas company guys just found it, a Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller, a C.H.U.D."
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
|I've been trying to figure out what environmental advantage having a long neck would be in New York City, especially when women are armed with swords... |
C.H.U.D., we hardly knew thee.
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #17. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by (Mucus Devour)
The chud extended it's neck for a reason,to help it see.she threw acid waste in the cannilbastic hummiod mutation's face.he couldn't see intil that neck came out,you could tell right when he did it when she moved her position, it kept it's radio-active glowing orb looking eye's at her.and yes!The movie kicked ass!
Reply #18. Posted on November 18, 2001, 06:12:57 PM by Super Saiyan Goku
Gee, I didnt know Daniel Stern was an expert marksman, he shot wilson in the heart! And another thing, no offense to you, but knowing THIS country, there probably would be nuclear waste in the sewers of new york.
Reply #19. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by LordArthur75062
I thought the movie was good as a tale of urban sci-fi/horror.the high point was the C.H.U.D. themselves,and except for the neck-stretching scene,they make very capable cousins to H.G. Wells' Morlocks.
Reply #20. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM by bosco
first of all, sorry for my poor english...i am belgian!
I would like to say that chud was one of the first horror movies i watched when i was young. I liked it very much and even now i still appreciate it. The action music and speed of the movies where very good for that year. I hope that actual movies producers will still working for making movies as good as this one.
Reply #21. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Andrew Bonime
Loved it. Hated It. Sucked. Rocks. Lots of debate here for a little horror movie I made in 1983. To find out what REALLY happened during the shooting (and after) and to set the record straight (the commentary track on the DVD is mostly WRONG), check out www.chudfacts.com
There's a lot of behind-the-scenes photos, too.
PRODCUER of C.H.U.D.
BTW, In case anyone's interested, my next film is going to be Beverly Hills Skin. It's scarier and has a big studio budget and stars (I can't say more at this point).
Reply #22. Posted on September 30, 2002, 05:13:17 PM by AlphaWoolf
By far the best part of this movie is the title, which has since passed into mainstream popular culture thanks to The Simpsons New York episode. Beyond that, I found this movie to be a stupendous bore. ZZZZZZZZZ
Reply #23. Posted on October 29, 2002, 08:10:39 PM by spankable Janet
The very best part of the holy grail that is CHUD is when the Reverend shows up at the board meeting with a bag full of evidence...and we noticed EVEN HIS PAPER BAG IS DIRTY!
Reply #24. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Molly
i know the guy who wrote the screen play for CHUD, and interesting human himself having a hummoring fat cat and a CHUD head in his apartment in a box. He said that CHUD's were supposed to move quick and be sneaky...humm guess that didnt work.
he wrote another CHUD film (he didnt write CHUD II) i think i read half of it or so based on punk rock kids and CHUDS and crazy stuff. Shep is a mad man
|Pages: 1 2  4 5 ... 7 |