|THE DARK POWER
|Copyright 1985 New Visions Productions Ltd and Triad Motion Pictures Inc.
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- Ranger Girard - His real name is Lash LaRue! Expert with a whip and defender of justice!
- Mary Dalton - TV reporter who wears a bit too much makeup. Considering the news she concentrates on there's a welfare check in her future.
- Beth - College girl, a main character, um, more about Beth...
- Tammie - The superstitious college student.
- Lynn - Racist college student, she constantly rolls her eyes, ugh. She gets killed.
- Suzan - A workout freak, likes to stretch half nude - in the kitchen.
- Earl Coleman - Rather large guy who works maintenance.
- Craig - Lynn's brother who moves in to annoy the other girls, you'll recognize the type.
- Dallas and Alan - Craig's friends, fodder.
- The Toltec Sorcerers - 4 evil dudes, they tend to make sounds like a Wookie. (You know, Star Wars - Chewbacca...)
|Excellent, excellent bad movie folks - I have a feeling this was produced by a group of real college students and they did a awesome job! Lash LaRue, who used to do black and white westerns, was the producer for this and he picked his team right. You have four evil indian sorcerers arising from the dead and Lash fighting them with his magical whip! Like many b-movies the lighting is often dark, the big difference here is they provided illumination at critical moments or to certain features so the viewer is never left wondering what they're seeing. Okay, on to a plot summary: A medicine man passes away and his son rents out the house built on a ancient burial ground to some college girls. One of the girls, who is the ultimate in deep south bigotry, invites her brother and friends to torture her housemates. At this point the sorcerers wake up and all hell breaks loose - check out the awesome effects when Lynn takes an arrow through her arm. Ranger Girard defeats the last evil one in a battle of dueling whips! A fun film which my group of bad movie watchers enjoy. |
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Wild dogs are groomed, well trained, and unable to chase down a chubby kid.
- Rangers don't carry firearms, a whip will easily handle a cougar or bear.
- Straight college girls have pin-ups of Marilyn Monroe.
- TV newscasters in small towns are dying for news.
- College girls like to skip.
- Never take a closeup of someone flossing.
- Undead sorcerers like a piece of tail now and then too.
- Heroic rangers are always accompanied by motivating trumpet fanfare.
- You can decapitate someone with a whip.
- 6 mins - Enough of the "dog cam" already!
- 7 mins - Hey, lots of leaves and it's warm, must be summer.
- 10 mins - Um, no leaves, everybody's in coats, it's winter. Ahm.
- 22 mins - A "No Soliciting" sign in a house?
- 38 mins - Not very much water in that bath.
- 39 mins - I thought he had cigarette butts on his head?
- 51 mins - Craig is standing 4 feet from the open door but asks who it is?
- Ending Credits - Mary Dalton plays Mary Dalton. Just look at all those names repeat. There's a song called "Toltec Boogie" in the movie.
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Earl: "It looks like a refuse heap, and smells like a fart!"
||Mary: "Of course uh, some girls might be a little crazier about whips than others." |
Girard: "You know about my whip?"
||Tammie: "Girl, you'd better watch out, honey. Toltec sorcerers were bad dudes."
||Girard: "Feel my whip you son of a bitch!" (Motivating music, Toltec mumbles, whip sounds.)
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
|When choosing an opponent for a whip duel I suggest avoiding someone named "Lash LaRue."
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
|Re: The Dark Power
Reply #17. Posted on November 22, 2007, 04:17:31 AM by Ryan
This movie rocks. If you don't like it, than you don't like B movies. Did you see that guys whip handling skills? Hurts so good. That chubby kid owes him one. When will people learn not to mess with the Toltecs? Crotch shot anyone?
|Re: The Dark Power
Reply #18. Posted on April 09, 2008, 02:42:33 PM by Dingis
I'm not going to lie when I say that I almost turned it off. Fortunately, my B-movie instincts kicked in and it was the moment just before the hand came out of the ground. This movie is kind of like Delta Force in the sense that the first 80% of the movie is terribly boring, yet the last 20% is so refreshingly bad that dwarfs all others by comparison.
|Pages: 1 2  |