|Copyright 1979 Variety Film
| Reviewed by Max Gardner
on 'a long time ago'|
- Peter - British newspaper reporter, kind of a loser.
- Anne - Daughter of Dr. Maynard's former research partner, searching for her father.
- Dr. Maynard - Dr. Butcher M.D. himself, Richard Johnson! A mad scientist researching zombies. Gets his cheek bitten off and dies.
- Brian - Man going on a cruise with his wife. Gets bitten by her after she turns into a zombie; he dies.
- Susan - Brian's wife. Gets her throat torn out.
- Mrs. Maynard - Dr. Maynard's wife, obviously. Impaled on a splinter.
- Lucas and Anna - Dr. Maynard's assistants. Lucas turns into a zombie and kills Anna.
|Here we have an unofficial Italian prequel to George Romero's Dawn of the Dead (possibly the greatest zombie movie ever made), and it's damn funny. Anne and Peter hitch a ride with Brian and Susan and make their way to Matul, a remote island on which Dr. Maynard has isolated himself to research the zombies that have been popping up all over the island. Needless to say, the zombie population abruptly explodes and all hell breaks loose. Throats are gnawed, eyes are gouged, heads explode. One of the more amusing scenes in this film is an underwater fight between a zombie and a shark. There are also quite a few gratuitous bare breasts, though none worth writing home about. Unlike Romero, director Lucio Fulci doesn't include a shred of social commentary.|
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Worms are attracted to pianos.
- 400-year-old Spanish Conquistadors are fully capable of motor function.
- Zombies have their own theme music.
- Cheeks are vital organs.
- Breasts shrink underwater.
- Hunting rifles are standard issue on yachts.
- Rubbing coral on a zombie's face underwater makes a sound like a hacksaw cutting a 2x4.
- Goats will survive the zombie apocalypse.
- Watch out for jaywalking zombies, they can mess up your jeep's radiator.
- All hired help is Hispanic, even on an island in the middle of nowhere.
- 1 min - This music is oddly catchy.
- 7 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST THE COAST GUARD!
- 8 mins - Make that damn noise stop!
- 20 mins - An abstract airport?
- 24 mins - Kick ass, it's Dr. Butcher M.D.!
- 32 mins - RANDOM GRATUITOUS BREAST SHOT!
- 36 mins - Oh, what I wouldn't give to be that zombie...
- 37 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A SHARK!
- 40 mins - Argh, the noise is back! Make it go away!
- 41 mins - RANDOM GRATUITOUS BREAST SHOT!
- 46 mins - OUCH! (splinter through the eye, into the brain)
- 47 mins - No, the noise!
- 63 mins - Good thing there were some pinking shears hanging on the wall there.
- 71 mins - Throat-ripping in slow-motion.
- 75 mins - That's a damn goofy-looking zombie.
- 81 mins - Oh my God, they killed Lucas!
- Susan: "There was a man down there!"
Susan: "There was a man!"
Peter: "A man?!"
- Lucas: "It's the ju-ju man!"
- Lucas: "Who is it? The devil?"
Anna: "We'll know soon enough. Come on, let's get this over with."
- Dr. Maynard: "He felt that he could somehow become a guinea pig, so that he could help to discover what was causing these horrors that were destroying our island, turning it into a wasteland of terror!"
- Lucas: "The father of my father always say, when the earth spit up the dead, they will come back to suck the blood from the living."
- Radio Newscaster: "The zombies are everywhere, there seems to be no stopping them, the city is at their mercy!"
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Coroner1: "Have you, have you already examined him?" |
Coroner2: "Yeah, I made one or two notes. In my opinion, death of the poor bastard was caused by massive hemorrhaging."
||Brian: "That's not a cool place to hit, the natives claim it's cursed, avoid it like the plague." |
Peter: "We have to go there, all the same."
||Mrs. Maynard: "I'm going to tell everyone that you're the one who's crazy!"
||Susan: "The driveshaft's cracked, it must have been the shark when he hit us!"
||Dr. Maynard: "As a man of science, I don't believe in voodooism."
|Theme Song|| Listen to a clip from the soundtrack. |
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Posted on August 24, 2007, 01:13:52 PM by radioman970
Best looking Zombies ever, IMHO.
Posted on August 25, 2007, 03:20:26 PM by wtffilm
Good movie, wrong title. The movie is called zombie 2 AKA zombie flesh eaters, not zombie.
Incorrect. Zombie is the official international (re: English language) release title for the film. It was re-christened Zombie Fleasheaters by distributors in the UK (who likewise re-christened Zombi 3 as Zombie Flesheaters 2 for its video release there). Zombi 2 was the title in Italy alone in response to the previous years' Dawn of the Dead being released there as Zombi. Referencing this film as Zombi 2 outside of Italy would have made little sense since, in other countries, there would have been no Zombi to preceed it.
Reply #19. Posted on July 06, 2008, 02:24:07 PM by vdantev
ICK!! Splinter through the eyeball in slow motion no less, gets me every time. what a great yet horribly violent movie.
Posted on July 14, 2008, 07:16:38 AM by VogNhymn
Love this film. I love Lucio Fulci. I love Fabio Frizzi's musical scores! One of my all time favorite zombie flicks!
Posted on June 29, 2009, 03:11:14 AM by drunkenbubba
I love Romero and think that Dawn is a superior film, but Zombie had much better makeup, and the zombies gave more of a feeling of dread than Romero's did. Plus the zombie vs shark scene still really hasn't been topped yet.
|Pages: 1 2  |