Main Menu

Most disturbing film ever?

Started by Celx, May 22, 2010, 11:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chainsawmidget

Not exactly the MOSt disturbing gilm ever, but I'd like to toss the Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb into the mix. 

vukxfiles

Snuff- A Documentary about killing on camera. This is the only one I couldn't watch, because it features clips from films like Snuff, Guinea Pig, Faces of Death, etc.

JaseSF

Last House on the Left (1972) is probably the most disturbing one I've seen. At least it sticks in my mind. It is a well made film though IMO...just not one I see myself revisiting too often.
"This above all: To thine own self be true!"

Phantomgrift

"Red And Rosey" by Frank Grow is cinematic weirdness at it's best.

Er, good luck trying to find a copy of it anywhere though.

Neville

Not entirely related, but I just learnt from the IMDB that "Martyrs" has a US remake on the works. Damn.  :hatred:
Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.

Raffine

'Un Chien Andalou' (1929) is still a hearty contender in my book.

You don't often come across a closeup of a razor slicing an eyeball in half, particularly in a film from the 1920's.
If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.

Flick James

Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol. Diabolically disturbing on many levels.
I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org

SlyMuffin

"Begotten" hands down. It's as close to a real life "La Fin Absolue du Monde" that we will ever get.

peter johnson

I'll second "Un Chien Andalou" and add "Le Sangre de Poete"(1934 - Jean Cocteau - one of our Secret Masters re. any Conspiracy Theory) - This is a recreation of a dream as a metaphor for our (anyone's) existence.  The falling through the mirror scene has been imitated a thousand times, but remember that this was the first film to do this.  Yes, also, to "El Topo", though the more Zen Koans you know, the easier it is.  And don't we all just love "Eraserhead"?

Also, have we all thought about the very last few seconds of "Taxi Driver" in a meaningful way?  What doesthat final zoom into the mirror mean?  Huh?  Like, what does it mean, okay? . . .

:cheers:  I always say, if you want a nice, easy walk in the park, with no complications or dramer, then you simply can't beat "The Seventh Seal"(Ingmar Bergman, 1956) - Nice, screwball, gentle comedy & a predictable outcome at its best - And with cute animals!!~

peter "i'm not disturbed . . . really . . ." johnson/denny "don't point that thing at me" crane
I have no idea what this means.

ChaosTheory

OK, not the most disturbing movie EVER, but considering the target audience I gotta mention "The Adventures of Mark Twain" (1986). 

Also, Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers".  Not so much because of anything that's shown, but because the story itself is so bleak.  It's emotionally rather than visually disturbing.
Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Raffine on May 26, 2010, 03:09:07 PM
'Un Chien Andalou' (1929) is still a hearty contender in my book.
You don't often come across a closeup of a razor slicing an eyeball in half, particularly in a film from the 1920's.
Yuk :bluesad: It's available on YouTube; critics and film historians have been commenting about the eyeball, but I wonder if anybody really gets it...

Quote from: xJaseSFx on May 24, 2010, 01:25:14 PM
Last House on the Left (1972) is probably the most disturbing one I've seen. At least it sticks in my mind. It is a well made film though IMO...just not one I see myself revisiting too often.
LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT is at the top of my disturbing movies list.  It's effective, which is its point.  I hate it. 

Quote from: peter johnson on May 31, 2010, 01:25:19 AM
...Also, have we all thought about the very last few seconds of "Taxi Driver" in a meaningful way?  What doesthat final zoom into the mirror mean?  Huh?  Like, what does it mean, okay? . . .
Do you mean Travis Bickle's rearview mirror? 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

bionica

agree with starsky

transformers 2 is the worst

bionica

and one where i actually felt disturbed (not for shock or gross factor)

was "the idiots" (idioterne) a danish movie

vukxfiles

Criswell

Africa Addio was pretty disturbing for me. Don't really know of much more.