Main Menu

Fact Of The Day

Started by Nightowl, February 10, 2011, 01:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

If you ask a girl out while standing in front of a flower shop, she's much more likely to say yes than if you do it while standing in front of a shoe store.  I read that in an issue of Men's Health while I was waiting for my doctor's appt. yesterday.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho

ER

How about five facts, since I haven't posted in a while?

1. Though stereotyped as filthy barbarians, Viking spies, seeking to blend in with the native English, actually had to refrain from bathing lest they stand out by being too clean.

2. Despite it being a tradition to do so, kissing Oscar Wilde's tomb in Paris will now get you arrested for vandalism.

3. Sooner or later a baby will throw anything you give her off the tray of her high chair onto the floor, especially if the floor was just mopped. This is an unassailable truth.

4. Unless caught in an updraft, mosquitoes are rarely found more than two stories off the ground. Meaning people on high-rise balconies never need repellent.

5. Cable TV originates from a satellite, just as its so-called "satellite" competitors do.

Ars longa, vita brevis!
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

Green

How amazing is this: Tardigrades can withstand temperatures from just above absolute zero to well above the boiling point of water, pressures about 6 times stronger than pressures found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than would kill a person, and the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for nearly 120 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.

Leah

My body is ready for GTA V. :teddyr: :teddyr: :teddyr: :teddyr: :teddyr:
yeah no.

Chainsawmidget

Kiefer Sutherland once retired from acting to work the rodeo circuit.

Trevor

Quote from: BoyScoutKevin on June 23, 2013, 01:20:47 PM

Or, about as long as Trevor's underpants last, before he has to replace them.

But, frankly, I'd rather eat the fruitcake. Sorry, Trevor!

:teddyr: :teddyr:

Ermmm: who said I replaced them?  :question: :wink:

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

ER

A tour guide at the Empire State Building told us that the building's owners spent two grand its first year on rat traps. Two grand in 1930s dollars? Just how blinking many rats lived in the place????

Flangepart

Wow...imagine what they spent on the house and senate.
"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"

Chainsawmidget

On the first episode of Sesame Street, Cookie Monster tries to eat Kermit the Frog. 

ChaosTheory

Quote from: Chainsaw midget on July 11, 2013, 04:03:51 AM
On the first episode of Sesame Street, Cookie Monster tries to eat Kermit the Frog. 

voila:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MASUR7Oq7U
Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me

ER

Fact: On February 19, 1982 Ozzy Osbourne relieved himself against a wall at the Alamo.

Conjecture: On February 20, 1982, sales of tar and feathers soared all across the Lone Star State.

BoyScoutKevin

On the 8th day of Christmas
It's Unique

The only place to rent out living Christmas trees in the U.S. is in Portland, Oregon. In 2004, they rented out 419 trees at $55.00 each for a total of $23,045. Then when they were returned, they were sold at $10.00 each for a total of $4190. or a grand total of $27,235. I don't see how they can stay in business, but they've been in business since 1992.

Next time: the 9th day of Christmas

zombie no.one

Quote from: Green on July 09, 2013, 01:17:27 PM
How amazing is this: Tardigrades can withstand temperatures from just above absolute zero to well above the boiling point of water, pressures about 6 times stronger than pressures found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than would kill a person, and the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for nearly 120 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.
ah yeah but can they do this

please do not mock my potato.

Flangepart

Quote from: Green on July 09, 2013, 01:17:27 PM

Yeah? If they're so cool, why ain't they staring in a movie with giant flying sharks, HUH!?
"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"

ER

As long as 51% or more of any denomination of US currency is intact, a bill is still legal tender and can even be traded in at a bank for a replacement. Which means in theory it used to cost Tupac nothing to light his blunts with those hundreds.