Main Menu

Fact Of The Day

Started by Nightowl, February 10, 2011, 01:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indianasmith

I'm tired, and that's a fact!
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Trevor

Quote from: indianasmith on April 24, 2013, 11:41:44 PM

I'm receiving my DVD copy of Searching For Sugarman today and that is a cold fact.  :wink:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Trevor on April 25, 2013, 02:45:02 AM

I'm receiving my DVD copy of Searching For Sugarman today and that is a cold fact.  :wink:

The temperature is 38 F outside my window right now, and that is a cold fact.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Trevor

Quote from: Rev. Powell on April 25, 2013, 08:26:39 AM
Quote from: Trevor on April 25, 2013, 02:45:02 AM

The temperature is 38 F outside my window right now, and that is a cold fact.

:buggedout: :buggedout:

Yikes: that is 3 degrees Celsius!  :buggedout:

* Sends coffee and blankets to the Rev*

Bloody hell: I'm African, I don't know cold like that.  :buggedout:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

ER

Today is ANZAC Day, a day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, which memorializes all those who died in the service of those two countries.

To those everywhere who fell to defend those liberties enshrined in western civilization: thank you.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

ER

During the Cold War the Soviet Union, not Cuba, was geographically the closest Communist nation to the United States.

ER

The bow and arrow did not seem to arrive in North America until about 500 AD. Among stone artifacts, true arrowheads are almost always under one inch in length. Anything larger was used on a spear, lance, or dart.

Newt

Quote from: ER on April 27, 2013, 11:59:43 PM
The bow and arrow did not seem to arrive in North America until about 500 AD. Among stone artifacts, true arrowheads are almost always under one inch in length. Anything larger was used on a spear, lance, or dart.

The size is purely a practical consideration:  in order for an arrow to function as an arrow, the point needs to be under 4 grams (0.14 ounces). 
"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch

Chainsawmidget

Modern ATMs make almost no sounds by themselves. The clicks and whirrs of machinery that you hear are usually sound effects that are added to give the user confidence that it is working.

Nightowl

Just three months after his death, Charlie Chaplin's body was stolen on Christmas day in 1977, by two mechanics. They thought they could get money from his family in exchange for his body. However, the two grave robbers were captured and eleven weeks later and Chaplin's body was recovered. To stop this from happening again, Chaplin was buried under 6 feet of concrete the second time around.

LilCerberus

Quote from: Chainsaw midget on April 28, 2013, 08:19:11 AM
Modern ATMs make almost no sounds by themselves. The clicks and whirrs of machinery that you hear are usually sound effects that are added to give the user confidence that it is working.

They do the same thing with the gear shift on motorcycles nowadays.
And the "Close Door" button on elevators doesn't do anything.
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

ER

Daniel Boone was never lost in the woods, though he did confess that at times he got turned around in there for a few days.

Leah

In the 1980s a man with severe OCD shot himself in the head in an attempt to commit suicide. Instead of killing him, the bullet destroyed the part of his brain that was responsible for his OCD, and he went on to become a straight-A college student five years later.
yeah no.

Chainsawmidget

Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" was inspired by Mel Brook's movie Young Frankenstein, specifically, the scenes where Igor (pronounced Eye-Gore) tells the doctor to ... "walk this way,".

indianasmith

Yesterday was the 68th anniversary of Adolf Hitler's death in the Reich Chancellery bunker in Berlin.

You know, you do have to say this for Hitler: at least he killed Hitler!
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"