Main Menu

Fact Of The Day

Started by Nightowl, February 10, 2011, 01:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indianasmith

Adolf Hitler's dog was named Blondi.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Trevor

Quote from: indianasmith on November 14, 2013, 07:09:52 AM
Adolf Hitler's dog was named Blondi.

You've brought back a good school memory for me: our history teacher told us that fact and most of us laughed - when we had stopped, he said "The next person who laughs - straight to the headmaster to explain why."

Oh well, it was quite a nice walk to his office.  :wink:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Leah

I believe It Happened One Night or something like that was Stalin's favorite movie, despite being American.
yeah no.

Chainsawmidget

Quote from: Jack on November 10, 2013, 05:33:27 PM
I always think of Japan as being such a technologically advanced country, but reading up on it a bit, I found out that throughout most of the country (except for the northern part) almost none of the houses, apartments or schools have insulation or central heating.  And Japanese winters are fairly cold, with an average low of 2 C (35 F) in Tokyo in January.  They basically only heat one room of the house, and then only barely, and sit around something called a kotatsu

which is a table with a small heater attached to the underside of the top, and a blanket around the edge.  I guess families grow close by all huddling around this table during the winter months, eating their dinner and watching TV together in the evenings.
From what I've read up on they also still rely heavily on fax machines, insisting on having actual paper copies of everything, and that the few banks that do have ATMS actually have them INSIDE the bank instead of outside, completley defeating the purpose of them.  Supposedly this is so that if anything goes wrong with the ATM, the bank can fix it right away.   

ER

Clay cuneiform tablets from ancient Sumeria can still be read today, but most information stored on twenty-year-old floppy discs has degraded past effective use. Progress is not a straight road.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

claws

If they did The Golden Girls in 2013, they could cast these actresses who are now the same age when the original cast began the series in 1985:

Dorothy (Bea Arthur) and Rose (Betty White) 63 Years Old

~ Cybill Shepherd
~ Tess Harper
~ Morgan Fairchild
~ Nancy Allen
~ Amy Madigan
~ Victoria Principal
~ Barbi Benton

Sophia (Estelle Getty) 62 Years Old

~ Anjelica Huston
~ Cassandra Peterson
~ Kirstie Alley
~ Lynda Carter
~ Beverly D'Angelo
~ Cheryl Ladd

Blanche (Rue McClanahan) 51 Years Old

~ Demi Moore
~ Jodie Foster
~ Jennifer Jason Leigh
~ Gina Gershon
~ Melissa Sue Anderson
~ Kristy McNichol

zelmo73

Quote from: claws on November 14, 2013, 01:08:05 PM
If they did The Golden Girls in 2013, they could cast these actresses who are now the same age when the original cast began the series in 1985:

Dorothy (Bea Arthur) and Rose (Betty White) 63 Years Old

~ Cybill Shepherd
~ Tess Harper
~ Morgan Fairchild
~ Nancy Allen
~ Amy Madigan
~ Victoria Principal
~ Barbi Benton

Sophia (Estelle Getty) 62 Years Old

~ Anjelica Huston
~ Cassandra Peterson
~ Kirstie Alley
~ Lynda Carter
~ Beverly D'Angelo
~ Cheryl Ladd

Blanche (Rue McClanahan) 51 Years Old

~ Demi Moore
~ Jodie Foster
~ Jennifer Jason Leigh
~ Gina Gershon
~ Melissa Sue Anderson
~ Kristy McNichol

Oh, I'm sure that is another reboot/remake that is already in the works.  :thumbdown:
First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"

BoyScoutKevin

And you can get everything you want, including Alice, if it is Alice in Wornderland.

Yuletide items
Watches -- wines -- wood items -- woven items
Teas -- totes -- toys
Salts -- serigraphs -- snacks -- souvenirs -- spices -- sports equipment -- statues -- straw items -- sugars -- sunglasses
Pet supplies -- photo albums -- picture frames -- pillows -- pins (very popular) -- plush animals -- pop culture novelities -- postcards -- posters -- pottery
Notebooks
Magnets -- masks -- musical items
Lithographs -- loungewear -- luggage -- lunch boxes
Key chains -- kitchenware
Jewelry
Headgear -- home decor items -- houseware
Glassware
Figurines -- flags -- footware
Eyepatches
Dinnerware -- dolls -- DVDs
Cameras -- candy -- CDs -- cels -- ceramics -- character items -- charms -- chopsticks -- clocks -- clothing for kids -- coffees -- collectibles -- cookies -- costumes
Bags -- baskets -- bath items -- blankets -- books
Accessories -- active wear -- animation art -- apparel for adults

No wonder this place has more contracts to more companies, both foreign and domestic, to supply it with all it needs, than any one place in the U.S.

Next time: maybe something similiar or maybe something different. I haven't decided.

ER

Famous deaths on November 22, 1963 also included C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

BoyScoutKevin

Continuing from my previous post . . .

And with 55% more shopping opportunities . . .

Automobile accessories
Backpacks (or as the British sometimes call 'em knapsacks)
Calligraphy kits -- candles -- coats of arms -- combs -- computer hardware -- cookware -- cosmetics -- crystal items
Duffels
Food stuffs
Games
Handbags -- Hollywood memorabilia
iPad cases
Leather goods -- Lego bricks
Menorahs -- Mezuzahs
Ostrich eggs (empty, I hope)
Patches -- pencils -- pens -- perfumes -- pewter items -- pinatas -- playsets
Raingear -- rocks and minerals -- rugs
Seasonings -- sleepwear -- software -- Star Wars light sabers -- statutettes
Tea sets
Umbrellas
Veils (bridal and otherwise) -- Vinylmation characters
Zen paraphernalia

"Honest!" I swear. If you cannot find it at this one place, then it most likely no longer exists.

Next time: as I said before, I might continue on in this vein, or I might go on to something else. It just depends.

LilCerberus

Just got my American Motorcyclist magazine today.

The bike the t1000 runs up the stairs & out the window is a single cylinder Honda dressed up to look like a four cylinder Kawasaki KZ1000. the pipes were fake.
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

zelmo73

Quote from: LilCerberus on December 12, 2013, 05:19:22 PM

The bike the t1000 runs up the stairs & out the window is a single cylinder Honda dressed up to look like a four cylinder Kawasaki KZ1000. the pipes were fake.

Was it fake only for the part going up the stairs and out the window, or were all the parts showing that brand of bike faked as well?
------------------

LilCerberus

Quote from: zelmo73 on December 12, 2013, 10:23:02 PM

Was it fake only for the part going up the stairs and out the window, or were all the parts showing that brand of bike faked as well?

Just the stunt scenes. I've owned a couple of Kawasakis, and they are unusually top heavy bikes.
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

zelmo73

Quote from: LilCerberus on December 12, 2013, 10:35:13 PM
Quote from: zelmo73 on December 12, 2013, 10:23:02 PM

Just the stunt scenes. I've owned a couple of Kawasakis, and they are unusually top heavy bikes.

I figured as much. That bike went up the stairs rather easily. Even a T-1000 would have had more difficulty going up the stairs in one of those.
------------------

LilCerberus

Long before The Pretenders, & shortly before Devo....

Mark Mothersbaugh & Crissie Hynde come from the same town of Akron Ohio. Both went to Kent State University, were on campus during the Kent State Massacre, & both were in a band called Sat, Sun Mat.

imagine how that woulda' turned out. :smile: