Main Menu

Fact Of The Day

Started by Nightowl, February 10, 2011, 01:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indianasmith

When I was a kid I thought he was the Abdominal Snowman!
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Leah

I thought the Yeti was Bigfoot's cousin.
yeah no.

Raffine

The Mapinguari, South America's version of big foot, is said to have one particularly odd physical characteristic: backwards feet.

As bizarre as this sounds the South American Kinkajou, a medium sized mammal related to raccoons, has the ability to turn its feet completely around and can reportedly run as fast backwards as it can forwards.

Some reports suggest the Mapingauri is actually a sort of giant sloth rather a humanoid primate.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.

lester1/2jr

Netflix CEO Hastings says in 2000 he offered to sell 49% of co to Blockbuster & take their name. They said no.

Rev. Powell

Dr. Seuss strongly supported America's internment of Japanese-American citizens during WWII.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

ER

On December 17, 1862 Ulysses S. Grant issued General Order Number 11, which expelled all Jews from the military district he oversaw via martial law. Grant claimed Jews were leaders of a black market which was undermining the economy in much of southwestern Kentucky, western Tennessee, and northern Mississippi. While there was evidence that Jewish merchants were indeed involved in black market activities, so were many Christian citizens, who were left unaffected by the law. The widespread outcry against this discriminatory edict was such that President Lincoln overturned the order shortly after learning of it. Grant's implementation of General Order 11 was a stain on the reputation of the otherwise honorable future President.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

lester1/2jr

Rev- not a feather in Suess's cap imo. regardless of one's view of that conflict

Rev. Powell

Quote from: lester1/2jr on January 30, 2014, 02:45:01 PM
Rev- not a feather in Suess's cap imo. regardless of one's view of that conflict

No, not at all. He dedicated "Horton Hears a Who" to a Japanese friend and some people think that book was his apology for his views.

In his early years he used lots of ugly racial caricatures.

I think he grew up and changed his views.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

lester1/2jr

Amanda Knox is really hot.

Raffine

The cult classic sci fi film adaption of Harlan Ellison's A BOY AND HIS DOG (1975) was produced and written (uncredited) by Alvy Moore. Moore was best known as the bumbling county agent on Green Acres.

"Well, the story is all about a boy and his dog Blood. Uh, well, the boy doesn't actually have dog blood but a dog named Blood. Well maybe the boy has dog blood and a dog named Blood, too. The boy loves the dog Blood but I don't think he likes dog blood. I guess the dog Blood has dog blood but he does like people blood but he doesn't like dog blood, Well, I suppose he likes himself and the dog's name is Blood but.."

ER

It is thought lightning strikes may have been a leading cause of death and injury among mammoths, since they were the tallest objects on the plains in their era, and weighing what they did they also held a great deal of water in their bodies, which would have drawn electricity even more.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

alandhopewell

On this day in 1968, this famous photo was taken....

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.

Chainsawmidget

There is one word in the English language that ryhmes with orange. 

Sporange. 

Definition:  A single-celled or many-celled structure in which spores are produced, as in fungi, algae, mosses, and ferns. Also called spore case.

Raffine

Alex Sink, the Democratic candidate for Florida governor in 2010 who was narrowly defeated by Rick Scott, is the great granddaughter of Siamese Twin Chang Bunker.

That's Chang on the right...

BoyScoutKevin

There are still places in America that allow you to express yourself freely.

The veteran who runs carrying the American flag.

The firefighters who run in full protective gear.

Juggle man who juggles as he runs.

Pizza man who carries a pizza as he runs. Well, at least, if he gets hungry along the 26.2 mile route, he'll have something to eat.

The ballerinas in their tutus. And the hula dancers in their grass skirts.

And that does not include all the runners in character costumes.

ariel -- belle -- cinderella -- cruella de ville -- donald duck -- the incredibles -- mickey -- minnie -- snow white -- tarzan -- tinkerbelle -- and vanelope.

The Walt Disney World Marathon, which is held every January.

Next time: "They're still playing our song."