Main Menu

ASK ME ANYTHING

Started by RCMerchant, March 20, 2021, 02:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ER

Quote from: pacman000 on April 18, 2021, 03:58:08 PM
🎶Have You Played Atari Today? 🎵

Not for many todays but my dad has a 2600 and a 1200xl stashed away someplace.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

indianasmith

For ER:
Which is better, having or getting?
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

ER

Getting is usually better than having, and sometimes wanting is better than either.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

pacman000

Is Paul a good name for a dog?

bob

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

RCMerchant

Quote from: pacman000 on April 19, 2021, 10:25:12 PM
Is Paul a good name for a dog?

As long as you spell it Pawl.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

pacman000

What is the minimum length for a novel?

Rev. Powell

Quote from: pacman000 on April 21, 2021, 12:32:13 PM
What is the minimum length for a novel?

No firm answer but the figure I see quoted on Google is an absolute minimum of 40,000 words, and they say very few publishers will be interested in something that short.

The non-flction piece I'm working on is currently 214,000 words and about 75% complete (!)
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

pacman000

So the final version will be ~320,000 words? Or are you in the process of removing unnecessary words? Or did I do the math wrong?

Rev. Powell

Quote from: pacman000 on April 21, 2021, 01:55:53 PM
So the final version will be ~320,000 words? Or are you in the process of removing unnecessary words? Or did I do the math wrong?

I don't know how long it will be except to say probably too long, which will make it tough to market.  :bluesad:

Rev. Powell

Question for Alex again: do you add water to your Scotch and if so, how do you go about it?

Alex

This is kind of tough to explain without going into a moderately deep scientific explanation on how tastes work.

The short answer is that adding a small amount of water helps release the full taste of the drink. Do not listen to people who tell you that adding water to it is heresy. That is people who know nothing about drinking whiskies. This is only something I'll do if I am buying a quality whisky. If its something like Bells, Walkers or Jack Daniels then I'll stick some coke or whatever in it and drink it no problem. If it's a more expensive brand (especially if it is a single malt rather than a blended one), then I'll stick a dash of water into it. If you watch the video on the link below, I tend to put a little bit more water in (not a huge amount), than the expert adds to his. If its a cheap whiskey, then I am drinking because I want to get a buzz on and don't care about the taste too much, so ice will go in as well.

In UK prices, if a bottle has cost me more than about £25, the more likely I am to add a small dash of water. Depending on how taxes on it are in the states, you'd be looking at something around $32 I guess to hit that threshold.

Long answer.

http://thewhiskyconnection.com/how-much-water-should-you-add-to-your-whisky-video/

If you don't feel like reading the full article, I would recommend watching the 3-minute video about half way down the page.

Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Alex on April 22, 2021, 11:03:07 AM
This is kind of tough to explain without going into a moderately deep scientific explanation on how tastes work.

The short answer is that adding a small amount of water helps release the full taste of the drink. Do not listen to people who tell you that adding water to it is heresy. That is people who know nothing about drinking whiskies. This is only something I'll do if I am buying a quality whisky. If its something like Bells, Walkers or Jack Daniels then I'll stick some coke or whatever in it and drink it no problem. If it's a more expensive brand (especially if it is a single malt rather than a blended one), then I'll stick a dash of water into it. If you watch the video on the link below, I tend to put a little bit more water in (not a huge amount), than the expert adds to his. If its a cheap whiskey, then I am drinking because I want to get a buzz on and don't care about the taste too much, so ice will go in as well.

In UK prices, if a bottle has cost me more than about £25, the more likely I am to add a small dash of water. Depending on how taxes on it are in the states, you'd be looking at something around $32 I guess to hit that threshold.

Long answer.

http://thewhiskyconnection.com/how-much-water-should-you-add-to-your-whisky-video/

If you don't feel like reading the full article, I would recommend watching the 3-minute video about half way down the page.

Oh yeah, I've been adding water (never ice!) to Scotch. I notice an improvement. I add ice (never water!) to (low-proof) bourbon only. (That's kind of counter-intuitive but that's the way I like it).

What I've been doing is just dipping my fingers in water and then letting a few drops fall into the glass. I was wondering how much water to use. That guy in the video is adding more water than I have been, I think I may start adding more.

Alex

Quote from: Rev. Powell on April 22, 2021, 11:36:49 AM
Quote from: Alex on April 22, 2021, 11:03:07 AM

Long answer.

Oh yeah, I've been adding water (never ice!) to Scotch. I notice an improvement. I add ice (never water!) to (low-proof) bourbon only. (That's kind of counter-intuitive but that's the way I like it).

What I've been doing is just dipping my fingers in water and then letting a few drops fall into the glass. I was wondering how much water to use. That guy in the video is adding more water than I have been, I think I may start adding more.

Like he says, it very much comes down to personal taste. If you like it with just a few drops of water then go with that, although I'd suggest trying a dash just to see if you like it more or less. I'd imagine there is a perfect mix that releases the full flavour and then if you add more water you oversaturate and dilute it. Trick would be finding that perfect amount to add.
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

pacman000

What is evil? How do you define it?