Main Menu

New music?

Started by RCMerchant, May 04, 2024, 06:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMerchant

Do you think there is any GOOD new music being put out lately? Myself-no. Don't get me wrong- I listen to a large range of music, from rock, metal, punk, jazz, pop, hip hop, even some country- but lately seems to me most new music, well,...SUCKS.

Mebbe I'm just getting old.  :bluesad:
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Rev. Powell

Yer getting old. I am listening to a new album every day. Keeps me young and I find lots of great new stuff.

This year: Rosali, "Bite Down" (singer songwriter); Ariel Kalma, Jeremiah Chiu & Marta Sofia Honer, "The Closest Thing to Silence" (avant-garde); Kelly Moran, "Moves in the Field" (acoustic piano); Bill Frisell, "Orchestras" (jazz, probably will be my album of the year), Vera Sola, "Peacemaker" (singer songwriter); Tapir, "My God" (folk rock); Meshell Ndegeocello, "Red Hot & Ra : The Magic City" (avabnt-garde jazz)); Chelea Wolfe, "She Reaches Out To She Reaches Out To She" (trio hop), Charles Lloyd, "The Sky Will Still Be There Tomorrow" (jazz); Julain Lage, "Speak to Me" (jazz). I don't gravitate to rock music that much (especially hard rock) but I've even heard some of that stuff I like this year.

Part of the problem nowadays is its so easy to produce music there's a glut on the market and you can't sift through it without a gatekeeper. Radio used to do that.

Look some of those up or ask me for a specific recommendation. You might like this one: https://youtu.be/xIJoRDCRcQ8?si=z4q-nXpQk0aNtBRB
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

LilCerberus

There's one or two new country artists that aren't too bad, but I really don't go out of my way to catch the latest thing.....
There was some pop star who put out a song protesting the overturning of Roe vs Wade that I thought was pretty good, but she was heavy on the Auto tune...
Every time I hear auto tune, I think of that song "Funky Town"..... It's like, auto tune is way too '70s for me...

Sometimes I'll catch something "new to me" while listening to right wing talk show host Dana Loesch, but it's usually '80s goth or '90s grunge; basically punk pop.....
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

Trevor

I am also getting old as the music I loved as a child in the 60s - 80s is still better than the 💩 of today.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Alex

Every few years I decide to go listen to new stuff and pick up some more modern bands that I like. Its gotten me into bands like The Pretty Reckless, Poppy, Avatar and Ward XVI. I just go exploring on Youtube, see what I can find.
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

claws

I regularly update my play lists on YouTube with new music. I'm not a teen anymore, so I don't seek out rebellious loud music.

I like it smooth and mellow, and stuff that incorporates rock, depending on my mood. I usually check Billboard adult contemporary charts. They have all the popular new tunes aimed for "adult ears."
Is it October yet?

RCMerchant

Yup, I'm getting old. I still listen to the Melvins and Led Zeppilin.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

Rev. Powell

Music affects people in their teens and twenties more powerfully. As you age, you get jaded; nothing's new and surprising anymore, you've heard it all somewhere before.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

FatFreddysCat

I stopped paying attention to mainstream music years ago.  Probably around the time MTV cancelled the Headbanger's Ball, which was what, 1994? '95?

By that point, I was in my mid 20s and it was already clear that the kind of music I liked (classic hard rock/heavy metal) was no longer "cool" and the pop cultural sphere was moving on without me.

I still follow what some of my old favorites are doing and support the ones who are still puttin out new stuff (the new albums by Judas Priest, Bruce Dickinson, and Accept have all been excellent) but as far as "new" artists/bands go, I don't have the time, the patience, or the disposable income to keep my ear to the ground for the newest/coolest/hippest stuff like I used to. Occasionally something new will cross my radar and I'll say "Oh, that's cool" but those moments have been fewer and farther between as the years have gone by.

I like to say I'm happily stuck in a musical bubble that starts somewhere in the late 1960s with Hendrix and Zeppelin and ends somewhere in the late 1990s with the retro/traditional/power-metal boom (Iced Earth, Primal Fear, Iron Savior, etc., etc.) 

Anything before that is too old to give a crap about, and anything newer than that is for the kids.
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

claws

Reddit has suggestions for modern punk bands to check out:

Pig City

The Runts

Corrupted Youth

Broken Cuffs

Gross Polluter

Rat Cage

Castillo

Trash Talk

Turnstile

Amyl and the Sniffers

The Chisel

Mess

Violent Way

It is probably a good place to look for specific kind of new music.
Is it October yet?

RCMerchant

^ Amyl and the Sniffers are GREAT!
Slobber, Drool, Drip!

lester1/2jr

I like this band Condor. It's the more melodic side project of the french left wing skinhead band Rixe. I like Rixe but I love Condor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uclV4ol0j8

the guitarist has a blatantly retro 80's style that I can't get enough of

MauriceNorton

Bro, have you ever listened to post punk? Especially Russian post-punk, as for me it is an unusual genre, having a vibe of special melancholy, as if it came from another world, you know. Listen to the MOLCHAT DOMA band