Main Menu

"The Books vs. The Movies" Who would win?

Started by Dave: Blackeye15, May 28, 2003, 02:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raj

An excellent book, I do recommend it (just don't get a copy with the "everything turns out ok" ending)

Perk

We had to read the book in class this quarter and my tescher pretty much stated that the ending was also a cop out.  I didn't like the fact that George doesn't die in the movie though.   O well Billy as a cop mightn't have been so good anyway.

Well that was fun...in a f****in' sick, terrible, not at all fun kinda way.

spikesangel

Starship Troopers the book was definitely better.
usually the book is always better.

did i ever mention my hatred for the movie Mimic?
oh how they ruined THAT short story.

..."Tease" - JohnL

Feathertop

I think TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. is a rare example of a movie being BETTER than the book it's based on.
I'm going to point out that the Emperor has no clothes and also say that the book THE THREE MUSKETEERS is pretty dull and that ANY movie version of it has been an improvement on the tedious source material.
On the other hand, I think the original SCARLET PIMPERNEL novel was better than any of the films.

Evan3

raj wrote:

Plus, it is easier to carry a book
> around than a dvd player & tv.

Not anymore, they now have portable DVD players with its own screen that are about the size of a Michener novel. DVDs 1, books 0

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply

Evan3

Let me say, for the longest time I felt that the bible was boring and then I sat down and read it, (by bible, I mean old testament being Jewish and all). There are so many cool things that happen in the bible that no movie compares to it. I think the closest and best adaptation of the Torah so far is Spielburg's animated foray, the Prince Of Egypt.

Anyways, here are others:
Rosemary's Baby - Man the book was so intense, I couldnt put it down. The movie did a good job, but since the clothes and hair styles are so campy, I had to give it to the book. Plus, it blows Astronaut's wife way out of the water/
Book - 2   movie - 0

I also like The Omega Man vs. I Am Legend, or whatever it was called and yes I read them both." While much of the story is changed, I must say the movie is better, more entertaining, and not as predictable as the book.

Book - 2,   movie - 1

Finally is Conrad's Heart Of Darkness. I have never seen Apocalypse Now and have no interest in seeing it any time soon, the book was one of the WORST things I have ever read, with no punctuation or fun characters, and so I cant believe the movie could be worse.

Book- 2, movie - 2.

So, there you have it folks, an even tie.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply

raj

Yeah, but the screens are too small.

SkullNinja

Howling the book vs Howling the movie, movie wins hands down, just because it has a sense of humor. Little more in common than a few of the character names. Howling II and Howling III bear nothing in common with the books of those names.

Last Man on Earth vs Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price) vs Omega Man - Book takes it. The ending has more guts than either of the movies. Be interesting to see it Ahnuld manages to get his version off the ground.