Main Menu

Earthquake!

Started by Rev. Powell, April 05, 2024, 11:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Powell

Anyone have any stories?

I experienced one late at night in Las Vegas. I was in a deep sleep and woke up to find the house swaying. Incredibly, I went back to sleep almost immediately. Everyone was talking about it the next day.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

zombie no.one

the ones we apparently get here in the UK are so mild that nothing happens, yet they still manage to make the news? a slight rustling of papers or a door creaking opening are about our max damage limit
please do not mock my potato.

LilCerberus

Two in these parts over the last twenty years.....
The first, i didn't notice because I was driving....
The second, thought it was a helicopter at first, then noticed the rumbling noise was coming from all around me, & some of my stuff was rattling & I made a mad dash outside..... Pretty mild here, but up north, it trashed the town of Mineral, & cracked the Washington Monument.... I was still at WRIR at the time, & heard it cause some damage to the retirement home that was letting us put our antenna on their roof...
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

RCMerchant

We had one her in Michigan waaay back in the early 80's. I didn't even notice.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Trevor

The worst earthquake in SA history happened in 1969 in the town of Tulbagh and the entire town was nearly wiped out 😳
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

LilCerberus

We had a mild earthquake sometime back in the 1940s, I think... My mom used to talk about it every time there was an earthquake in the news, or there was a movie about one... Of course, the friends of mine who moved around a lot thought I was lying...
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

ER

I've been through at least three in my lifetime, the first in 1980 I don't remember but I apparently froze and looked startled as the floor shook, and freaked my mom out. The second was in the late summer of 1988 as I was getting ready for bed and I knew exactly what it was and was more fascinated than anything. The most recent was about a decade ago and was the strongest, it actually shook loose some poorly-secured watercolors on paper I had mounted and hung on the wall. I was in the highest floor of our house and felt it to the point it almost had me concerned for a moment. None did any real damage except to a few local chimneys.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

FatFreddysCat

We had a very minor one here in New Jersey this morning around 10:30 AM (which I imagine was the inspiration for this thread)...

I happened to be on my break from work so I was sitting in a McDonald's having a cup of coffee. The seat I was sitting on suddenly started vibrating for about ten seconds, like you might feel if a large truck was driving by outside. I almost didn't think anything of it, till the people at the next table over from me all jumped up like "WHOA! Hey, did you feel that?" and all of their cell phones started ringing at once. I heard  them talking to their friends like "What? EARTHQUAKE? For real? Wow!" and I thought to myself "OK, so that's what it was."  :teddyr:
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

indianasmith

I went through a 6.0 when I was serving in Japan, back in my Navy days.
I was sitting in a diner on base when suddenly my chair started skittering across the floor, all the dishes in their racks were clattering against each other, and the big hanging sign with the menu on it was swinging back and forth - then, after about 30 seconds, it was gone.   WEIRD feeling!
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

claws

Never did. Not sure if I ever want to experience an earthquake.
Is it October yet?

Rev. Powell

Quote from: claws on April 06, 2024, 05:47:46 AM
Never did. Not sure if I ever want to experience an earthquake.

A mild one gives you a good memory and story to tell, but it can be frightening at the time. I guess I can't really recommend the earthquake experience overall!

Alex

I experienced a mild one when I was in Cosford. We were in a five-man room and I was asleep. I half woke up and said, "Did some fat bastard just run across the floorboards?" to which Willo replied "No, its an earthquake mate." I replied "Ok" and went back to sleep.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

bob

Is everyone ok from the one on the East Coast?
Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: bob on April 06, 2024, 02:37:38 PM
Is everyone ok from the one on the East Coast?

Without knowing for sure... yes, everyone is fine. The quake was barely strong enough to knock a few books off the shelf. It would have been commonplace on the west coast, it was just the fact that they never have earthquakes on the east coast that made it noteworthy.

There was a quake in Taiwan that killed people recently, though.

ER

You guys ever seen that YouTube video from about ten years ago of the teenage girl who tried to fake being in an earthquake by getting her friend to lie on the floor and move her desk around while someone shook her camera, Star Trek style, but she forgot her goldfish tank on the shelf behind her, and the water stayed completely level the entre time the girl hammed it up freaking out on camera?
What does not kill me makes me stranger.