Main Menu

How's the weather?

Started by Olivia Bauer, January 20, 2012, 09:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffine

It's 40 degrees here and it just started raining.

LET THE SNOWPOCALPSE BEGIN!!!

Everything is closed up tight here. Unfortunately I have to go to work early in the morning, since we are considered 'essential personnel'. The big problem here won't be the icy roads, it'll be the big old trees (already overloaded with Spanish moss) snapping and falling over power lines.

Yes, the trees are very picturesque but ice and this:

do not make a good mix.

The city actually just lost a big lawsuit where one of the pretty trees broke in a storm and a falling branch snapped a lady's leg clean off.
If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.

VenomX73

NJ - Oh no - PLEASE... NO more snow...

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!

Newt

Just prior to sunrise the windchill was recorded as -32 deg C.  And it is windy.

We have the Scouts going to camps the next three weekends.  Everybody sleeps in shelters made of spars and tarps.  In the snow.  There is a reason they are called "Klondike" camps!  Unfortunately I have to work so I cannot go.   :teddyr:

The really insane part is they prefer freezing temperatures: it gets quite miserable if it warms up and everything gets all wet and muddy.  :tongueout:
"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch

Trevor

Quote from: Raffine on January 28, 2014, 04:00:09 PM
It's 40 degrees here and it just started raining.

LET THE SNOWPOCALPSE BEGIN!!!

Everything is closed up tight here. Unfortunately I have to go to work early in the morning, since we are considered 'essential personnel'. The big problem here won't be the icy roads, it'll be the big old trees (already overloaded with Spanish moss) snapping and falling over power lines.

Yes, the trees are very picturesque but ice and this:

do not make a good mix.

The city actually just lost a big lawsuit where one of the pretty trees broke in a storm and a falling branch snapped a lady's leg clean off.

Snowing in Savannah, Raffine? Wow.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Newt

Our local weather report featured scenes of black ice in NC and snow-covered roads in Alabama causing havoc.  :buggedout:
I think they were trying to make us feel better.
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch

Trevor

Quote from: Newt on January 29, 2014, 07:35:15 AM
Our local weather report featured scenes of black ice in NC and snow-covered roads in Alabama causing havoc.  :buggedout:

:hot: and [no emoticon for humid] in Pretoria. Time for beer.  :drink:

Raffine

False alarm.

It never got below freezing here so we got rain, rain, and more rain.

There was actually a very thin sheet of ice on my windshield this morning - the first time I've ever seen that here.

Sylacauga Alabama, my birthplace, actually was on the news for all the snow and ice they got. I think it was the first time Sylacauga made the news since the meteorite hit the lady back in '54.
If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.

Andrew

I was based in Atlanta back in 1999-2003 or so.  They are not used to ice and snow (and ice is far worse than snow), so drivers don't know how to safely navigate.  They are also not equipped to deal with snow and ice - the states don't have the system of plows and gear to spread sand and salt to make the roads safer to drive.
Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org

JaseSF

We're supposed to get a little bit of snow tonight but personally I doubt it given the wind is supposed to be southwest. We only normally get snow with northeastern gales. The temperature dropped back from 6 degrees Celsius down to wind chills in the
-20s last night and today.
"This above all: To thine own self be true!"

Newt

Quote from: Andrew on January 29, 2014, 09:50:48 AM

I was based in Atlanta back in 1999-2003 or so.  They are not used to ice and snow (and ice is far worse than snow), so drivers don't know how to safely navigate.  They are also not equipped to deal with snow and ice - the states don't have the system of plows and gear to spread sand and salt to make the roads safer to drive.

Oh I get that Andrew; my :buggedout: was for the weather itself!
I have a sister in NC who tells me all about it when they get snow.  It's a major event.

Trevor

Cold this morning and now (15h37) it's hot.  :tongueout:

claws

26 F with frozen snow on the ground. Forecast predicts up to 42 F on Saturday, with rain of course.

Jack

Snowing here.  Probably get 2 - 3 inches.  That's been the cycle all winter:  extreme cold, warms up a bit, snows, back to extreme cold.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho

claws

Numbers are in: we had one of the warmest January's in 15 years (not surprising after the warmest December in decades), more hours of sunshine than last year January, and less precipitation than usual. However, some parts got up to 6 inches of snow. Forecast predicts a warm February with quite a few non-snow related violent storms.

VenomX73

Yup - freezing rain then more snow this weekend... I'm sick of snow.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!