Lately I've found that my mind has been very focused on the future and those who will live in it.
We dwell in an unstable world. I know most times in history can have that said of them but it seems things are more terrifyingly tense than they've been in a very long time, with international alliances and outlooks shifting, nuclear proliferation, true hatred rising across the globe, the rattling of sabers and the rhetoric of coming conflict... For anyone who feels like making a reply to so bleak a question, how likely do you think it is that in about the next ten years our nation will face the equivalent of another world war? If war arises, where will it begin, or be fought, who will be involved, and what will the outcome be?
If no one here feels like going after this topic, which I know is out of place, believe me, I don't blame you. But as I said, the future and the likelihood of catastrophic war has lately been in my thoughts.
I think we also exaggerate the tensions of our own times. Going by history, I'd rate the likelihood of a cataclysmic global confilict as low. The outlook for rattling sabres and brush wars is the same as it always is, 100%.
On the other hand, he should always heed Criswell's wise warning: "Future events like these will affect you in the future".
Gotta agree with Rev, the Guv'ment and the media just have reporting that stuff down to an ever-evolving science. Personally, I think a big part of what we see is because peace is coming, and there are those that don't want to make the compromises involved. A while back I read someone's theory of why 9/11 and other acts of terrorism happened, and it made a bit of sense. Obviously this isn't verbatim, but the idea was that the more radical (ie: inclined to perform terrorist acts) sects of the middle east was HIGHLY concerned that their youth were steering away from their radical roots and more towards a more modern life. They wanted internet, social events, to choose their own partners in marriage, movies, music, clothes, etc, etc. . The older parts of their society saw this as a threat, and saw the modern world as the source. Of course with the war we are in, we set them back by showing them how evil the modern world is (from their point of view of course), but it will all happen again sometime. Anyways, obviously this is a summary, ,, or even a summary of a summary, but it made sense. It spoke of how they had an ever-increasing problem with drinking by kids and young adults (estimated an 85% of people under 20 having drank more times than they could count), which nearly completely cleared up once W's war started. It seemed that for SOME reason their youth decided to go back to the fundamental ways of their society of old. It even went as far as to say some kids were mad about 9/11 and a few other terrorist acts, and said it further widened their "generation gap".
My point is that I believe that at some point in time the parts of the world that have yet to integrate into modern society are going to make a leap, and I believe that leap is soon (a matter of decades, but in the grand scale of things, that is soon). With that leap, many of the things that come between 'us' and 'them' will go away. Sure, we're just aiming toward doing the same thing all over again at a higher level technologically, but that's what we call life.
Kind of a "It's always stormiest before the calm" outlook on it.
Take it for what it's worth.
Rumors have persisted that Bush plans to bomb Iran at the very end of his presidency.
The government has denied that they plan to bomb Iran... but they also denied that they would invade Iraq.
Guess what? They DID invade Iraq, and it's very likely that Bush may attack Iran, just before Obama becomes president.
I have a strong feeling that a nuclear war may start with Iran.
I don't think he'll be able to pull that off, Congress won't let him. He got one over on them, they'll be much more careful, especially if the stakes are raised to the level you speak of.
And, IIRC, the claim that we would invade Iraq was in reference to 9/11. We didn't invade Iraq because of 9/11, we invaded it for completely different reasons.
Also, once W is out, I believe much of this crap will calm down. HE is the one making many people outside the US nervous, once he's gone there will be at least SOME relief.
Quote from: ghouck on November 11, 2008, 06:02:27 PM
Also, once W is out, I believe much of this crap will calm down. HE is the one making many people outside the US nervous, once he's gone there will be at least SOME relief.
True, but on the other hand I wouldn't be at all surprised to see guys like Putin, Kim Jong Il and the Iranian guy (don't ask me to spell his name) immediately try to test Obama to see how much they can get away with, now that we have a more dove-ish president.
True, but he can stand up to them without going all Rambo on them. That is one of Ws problems: He has no "Flash to Bang". He seemed to START talks by deploying the military.
Quote from: Metropolisforever on November 11, 2008, 04:15:29 PMRumors have persisted that Bush plans to bomb Iran at the very end of his presidency.
The government has denied that they plan to bomb Iran... but they also denied that they would invade Iraq.
Guess what? They DID invade Iraq, and it's very likely that Bush may attack Iran, just before Obama becomes president.
I have a strong feeling that a nuclear war may start with Iran.
Really what this is is basically a silent movie and we are segwaying to a new Teddy. Taking a crap. I am one of those weirdos who believe that morality is still something. Not memorizing how many baseball players are able to speak perfect english, which is a "miracle" based on where they are from — this is the Hawaiian islands in the pliocene and we are waiting for Pat Robertson to get his love Dove head on and get us ready for the new armageddon.
Where I am from. Elongated Skull land apparently. A-Louie, Louie, no, no, no, no. That is a good song by the way, the conclusion is the Queen of the Gorgons is making a comeback. Sergeant Richard Swain fight me! And prove to me that virtual urban warfare is some sort of hasbendish deal, like listening to Jessie Jane Duff talk about brain tumors in veterans. Because you know this Derek dude would be all over it. He can tell you how elongated skulls solved the problem of brain tumors and
Ah, Sturgeons law. 90 percent of everything is crap. Ok I used crap maybe a couple too many times in this post. But I wonder sometimes who would win in a quotes war The Amazing Criswell or Theodore Sturgeon. Because a lot of both of those guys quotes are like common sense.
The Iran War is basically just like the game Killer Instinct. It rises. And then it falls and disappears completely. And then wait like ten or twenty years later and it is resurrected. Ok I will go with Sturgeon's Law. No offense to Amazing Criswell fans afficionados. The strait of hormuz or George Strait. Do people really know or care?
I wish Dalmatian and Metropolis had been able to talk to each other. The conversations they'd have had!
Quote from: Rev. Powell on September 10, 2026, 09:11:48 PMI wish Dalmatian and Metropolis had been able to talk to each other. The conversations they'd have had!
😅
I'm sure Dalmatian is WyreWizard or DrSimonCowell and I'm almost certain his posts are AI generated.
Quote from: Trevor on September 11, 2026, 12:24:11 AMQuote from: Rev. Powell on September 10, 2026, 09:11:48 PMI wish Dalmatian and Metropolis had been able to talk to each other. The conversations they'd have had!
😅
I'm sure Dalmatian is WyreWizard or DrSimonCowell and I'm almost certain his posts are AI generated.
I can do a lot of things. But I can't prevent the birth of your parents. And I can't stop this Iran war. Theodore Sturgeon was a book author he wrote science fiction? Are you some kind of wacky L Ron Hubbard aficionado? What gives. Like with this hazing crap (oops I said I wasn't going to do that again! Well blame Trevor on that one. Maybe try sponsoring a Nanny from the Phillipines. Since you are such a proffer for the Nanny State syndrome.)
By the way you are wrong on just about everything you say, especially on the movie knowledge stuff. So it makes sense that you wish — whatever it is you
Anything that isn't you? Well that is obvious.
Quote from: Dalmatian Bobby Samaritan on September 12, 2026, 04:40:37 PMthis hazing crap
I don't think people are hazing you, so much as having difficult accepting that you're a real person because of the (to put it mildly) unusual and hard-to-follow nature of your posts. Personally, I think you are sincere, and just one of the many lovable eccentrics who have chosen to inhabit this forum. :cheers:
Quote from: Dalmatian Bobby Samaritan on September 12, 2026, 04:40:37 PMI can do a lot of things. But I can't prevent the birth of your parents. And I can't stop this Iran war.
How do you know? Have you TRIED?
Quote from: chainsaw midget on September 13, 2026, 02:04:15 PMQuote from: Dalmatian Bobby Samaritan on September 12, 2026, 04:40:37 PMI can do a lot of things. But I can't prevent the birth of your parents. And I can't stop this Iran war.
How do you know? Have you TRIED?
Trevor though too. He will be vindicated. Like when his parents give him back his allowance and he can continue to cruise on
It is robust avionics under the finger nail clippers of John Ashcroft and the military industrial complex, providing endless fever and Wind from an Enemy Sky. I guess this is where I will disagree with the Popes and religious people, because I am into creating my own enemy sky. I mean if an Iranian comes over to my house tomorrow and knocks on my door, who knows. They could be providing me the secret to a hydrogen fuel cell car. So I don't have to buy their gasoline.
You playboys. You gotta take a joke sometimes. All in good fun until they start stealing our embryos. And I remember the news way back when kind of starting to make us feel that. Like with Osama Bin Laden. That that is what he was all about. Some of those horror stories about Osama bin Laden I think had less credibility than the WOW signal from 1977.
Quote from: Dalmatian Bobby Samaritan on September 16, 2026, 05:25:23 PMTrevor though too. He will be vindicated. Like when his parents give him back his allowance and he can continue to cruise on
It is robust avionics under the finger nail clippers of John Ashcroft and the military industrial complex, providing endless fever and Wind from an Enemy Sky.
Dammit, Trevor! Have you been cruising on your allowances robust avionics under the finger nail clippers of John Ashcroft and the military industrial complex, providing endless fever and Wind from an Enemy Sky again?
I thought we told you to cut that out.
To uh. "The Human Capacity." It's like what is the human capacity, after twenty years of this necrophelia. I mean Chris Kyle American Sniper couldn't even make it through this, whatever this is. And what makes these war cat tycoons think people like us are going to? Yeah Trevor have you been reading any Smedley Butler lately? I was only kidding about that L Ron Hubbard. Trust me dude, you don't want to go down that route. I mean you guys laugh, but I watched a documentary once about David Koresh and I was surprised to see that many of his followers came from places like Australia. I'm like man..You mean you guys are getting bored of watching Koalas eating eucalyptus leaves and stuff. You have to..
Ah.
Trevor is a busy man. Mons generale as they used to call Charles De Gaulle. Remember in World War I how they actually believed they were seeing those angels or something flying over the battlefield and that they were supposedly angels but also soldiers. And that helped the allies cause. Angels of Mons. I have been meaning to ask Rev Powell about that. Like if he knows of any movies that discuss that. That is some wild craziness. And that was in 1914, so you can't say that it was HAARP.
Perhaps cultural schizophrenia. I think most of our wars, from like 1800s on have been marred hardcore by some kind of imbedded mental illness in society.