This one is more difficult than other top 100 lists and may take time to complete. The idea is to post 100 historical movies in chronological order. Rules:
*They must be in order. So don't jump forward in time to the 20th century right away, or you will make it difficult for everyone else to complete the list. If the time jump is too long, I may disallow it for now and suggest you come back to it later.
*For sorting purposes, the movie's date is the date it ends, not the date it begins. (This is the "2001: A Space Odyssey" rule, so you can't use that movie for its prehistory prologue---if you post it, its date is 2001.) This is also relevant for movies where the timelines overlap.
*Overlaps are OK so long as the 2nd movie ends after the previous one ends.
*Science fiction/fantasy movies are allowed if they are set on a specific date (again, "2001").
*I reserve the right to add new rules should the circumstances require it.
I'll start with
1. ADAM AND EVE (1983) - no specific date, but it's the mythical beginning of humanity.
2: One Million Years B.C. - set ... well, you know... a very long time ago. It had people. And dinosaurs.
That was going to be my next choice. :thumbup:
3. Quest for Fire: Prehistoric, about 80,000 BC.
Logically the next would be
4. 10,000 BC
As per the title
5. The Scorpion King: set before the Egyptian pharoahs, probably around 3000 BC.
6. The Ten Commandments. (1956) Set... sometime around 1446 BC or 1250 BC.
Which ties in neatly with
7. Samson and Delilah (1949)
Now, the historical background of the story Samson is difficult to determine, but it is apparently 1200-1000 BC. And anyway within the internal chronology of the Bible, it is after Exodus.
I will suggest
8.) DAVID AND GOLIATH (1960)
Which takes place circa 1100bc so around the time of SAMSON AND DELILAH but later than 1200 anyway. If you think it's disqualified that's okay. This is a tough one.
Quote from: M.10rda on July 06, 2026, 04:19:21 PMI will suggest
8.) DAVID AND GOLIATH (1960)
Which takes place circa 1100bc so around the time of SAMSON AND DELILAH but later than 1200 anyway. If you think it's disqualified that's okay. This is a tough one.
According to this you're totally fine:
(https://www.bible.ca/archeology/bible-archeology-exodus-route-date-chronology-of-judges-1350-1004bc.jpg)
We're in a Biblical groove, which makes dating relatively easy. (That's also what the Baptists say.)
Also, regardless of when you want to situate the historical David, there is no question he comes after Samson.
I'm glad to hear that and glad you both know more about Old Testament history than I do. (I've only read the New one.) Because Dr. Whom said "1200-1000" for SAMSON AND DELILAH I got nervous about the 1100-1000-leaning D&G.
9. David and Bathsheba (1951): After David slew Goliath, he met this hottie.
10. The Fourth Wise Man (1985)
I only know this exists because my mom is really into Christian movies and such. It's about a fourth wise man who set off to see Jesus birth and tries other times over the years to go see him, but repeatedly gets sidetracked by stopping to help other people and doing good. It stars Martin Sheen.
Anyway, it goes up to Jesus's death which puts us somewhere around around 35 A.D. Give or take a few years.
We seem to have taken a biblical path, so the next in line would be
11. Ben Hur (1959)
Quote from: M.10rda on July 07, 2026, 05:56:54 AMI'm glad to hear that and glad you both know more about Old Testament history than I do. (I've only read the New one.)
I can highly recommend the Robert Crumb comic version of Genesis. The text is straight up the King James version (I think), so no funny business there, but the panels are in his inimitable style.
Since Ben Hur is set during the reign of Tiberius (I think), the next movie would have to be
12. Caligula
I really thought resident historian Indiana Smith would be participating here.
That allows me to continue with
13. Quo Vadis (1951)
Set in the reign of Nero (until 68AD)
We blew right past SPARTACUS. Oh well.
Quote from: M.10rda on July 07, 2026, 06:16:15 PMWe blew right past SPARTACUS. Oh well.
Yes, I was hoping to sneak in Astérix et Cléopâtre but that is BC as well.
Quote from: M.10rda on July 07, 2026, 06:16:15 PMWe blew right past SPARTACUS. Oh well.
There have been some big time jumps, but nowhere near as bad as I feared. I was afraid people wouldn't read the rules and we might be in the 20th century already!
14. The Last Days of Pompeii (1959) - set in 79 AD.
Well there aren't that many historical movies set in the ancient past (and that is counting Roland Emmerich and biblical epics as historical, which is a stretch). So big jumps in the beginning were to be expected. As ist is, we're at 15 and we're still in Roman times.
15. Gladiator (2000)
set in 180 AD
I was going to post FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, but it's about the same time as GLADIATOR, so time for another big flash-forward to
16. Excalibur. Around 500 AD.
Shame we skipped The Life of Brian. If I recall correctly, that one gives you its exact date & time right down to it being tea time.
Quote from: Alex on July 09, 2026, 08:47:57 AMShame we skipped The Life of Brian. If I recall correctly, that one gives you its exact date & time right down to it being tea time.
"...thanks a lot for the gold and frankincense, but don't worry too much about the myrrh next time."
There were some movies set after Jerusalem fell, but before Christ we missed. Plus a few set in ancient Greece & Rome, like Ulysses,Jason & the Argonauts, & Troy.
Hm. Robin Hood isn't for another 500 years. I've got nothing in the 500's, but don't want to jump five centuries.
Anyone know of any significant events in Asian, African, or Mesoamerican history, from that time, on which some films are based?
I thought we would fall into one of two tracks: either Greek mythology or the Bible. Mixing them would be complicated. We're now in the era of post-King Arthur, Charlemagne and the vikings. Not sure about Asian, African, or American history (those are harder to date).
There are a lot of obscure historical movies you could uncover with research, but jumping by centuries is probably inevitable at this point.
Was trying to think of a Beowulf movie, but most of those are set in 500 AD. :/ So...
17) Erik the Conqueror (1961)
Set around 800 AD. Still a jump, but not a 500-year jump.
Then the next would be
18) The 13th Warrior (1999)
Apparently set in the reign of Caliph al-Muqtadir (reigned 895-932 AD)
Quote from: Rev. Powell on July 09, 2026, 10:32:33 AMThere are a lot of obscure historical movies you could uncover with research, but jumping by centuries is probably inevitable at this point.
Quite. If you take any well known historical figure, chances are that someone somewhere has made a biopic. For instance about late antiquity/early middle ages, a quick search turned up two biopics of St. Augustine. There is also the two part 'The Last Roman' of 1968, a German-Italian-Rumanian coproduction about the Gothic Wars in Italy. With the Emperor Justinian played by Orson Welles, no less.
I don't think we ought to dig up curiosities like these yet. I'm all for sticking to fairly well-known ones.
Also I would like to point out that chronological overlap is acceptable, as long as your movie ends after the previous one does. This may become more significant when we get to the 20th century.
19. El Cid (1961): Ends about 1099 A.D.
Oddly enough, there don't seem to be any movies about the First Crusade (unless you count a 1918 silent Italian one).
This leaves us with
20 Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
This deals with the fall of the Kingdom of Jerusalem (1187) and is prior to the Third Crusade, leaving room for Richard the Lionheart and Robin Hood. I might have gone with The Lion in Winter, which is set in 1183, but that is such a boring movie.
21.) ALEXANDER NEVSKY (1938)
Mid-1200s.
Please roll slowly here. There some major titles in the 13th-15th centuries. We can get to the #30s if we're careful.
Quote from: M.10rda on July 10, 2026, 04:10:48 PM21.) ALEXANDER NEVSKY (1938)
Mid-1200s.
Please roll slowly here. There some major titles in the 13th-15th centuries. We can get to the #30s if we're careful.
Good advice, but you rolled right past Genghis Khan---I was looking forward to seeing THE CONQUEROR here!
:bluesad: :bluesad: :bluesad: :hatred: :bluesad:
Well, okay. Fair.
I feel terrible and this is why I don't generally participate in these... I ain't a mind-reader and the stakes are too high!!!
I do apologize.
Quote from: M.10rda on July 10, 2026, 05:35:48 PM:bluesad: :bluesad: :bluesad: :hatred: :bluesad:
Well, okay. Fair.
I feel terrible and this is why I don't generally participate in these... I ain't a mind-reader and the stakes are too high!!!
I do apologize.
Don't take it so seriously! It's all meant in fun and the stakes could not possibly be lower. I hope you will continue to participate.
Quote from: Rev. Powell on July 10, 2026, 04:14:23 PMQuote from: M.10rda on July 10, 2026, 04:10:48 PM21.) ALEXANDER NEVSKY (1938)
Mid-1200s.
Please roll slowly here. There some major titles in the 13th-15th centuries. We can get to the #30s if we're careful.
Good advice, but you rolled right past Genghis Khan---I was looking forward to seeing THE CONQUEROR here!
And Robin Hood, despite my hint, ah well.
As we are in the 13th Century:
Marco Polo (1962) set in the second half of the 13th Century
23. Braveheart - 1290s-1300s
24. The Outlaw King (2018) set roughly 1307
15.) THE NAME OF THE ROSE (1986)
Set in 1327.
"Low stakes" do not exist in my dojo!
Glad you stuck with it M.10rda. NAME OF THE ROSE would have been my next pick, too.
16. The Seventh Seal (sometime in the late 1300s. Plague arrived in Sweden in 1350).
17. Henry V (of course the 1944 version)
Set at the Battle of Agincourt 1415
I screwed up again, though - really we were on #24 and I followed w/ #15 :lookingup:, then #16 and #17. So really we're now on
28.) ANDREI RUBLEV (1966)
Ends (w/ the best sequence) in the year 1424.
That leaves just time for
29) Joan of Arc (1948)
The Ingrid Bergman one, of course. Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake in 1431
I'd say we're ahead of (behind?) schedule, we're going to have plenty of room for the 20th century and beyond.
30. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (any version, I prefer Charles Laughton) (set in 1482)
ELIZABETH (1998) set in 1558-60
32) Fire Over England
About the Spanish Armada, which, if I'm reading right, puts it in 1588.
33.) SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE (1998)
Set in 1593... tried to make the smallest jump possible.......
I think we're OK on time. There will be a lot of choices from the 1800s on.
34. The Devils (set in 1634) Just so we don't miss it.
RESTORATION - Set in 1664. Starring the one and only Sam Neill in one of his best roles.
36. The Favourite (2018)
Ostensibly set in 1705, although with a lot of creative anachronisms
Ohhhh San Neill... :bluesad:
37. Mutiny on the Bounty (occurred in 1789)
38. Master and Commander (set in 1809, I believe)
39. Waterloo (1970)
1815, of course
AMISTAD (1998) - Set in 1839.
40, Charge of the Light Brigade (1969)
Set in the Crimean War (1853-56). I thought I'd get this in before the American Civil War starts, although, that being said, you guys steamed right past the American Revolution, so who knows what will be next.
41. Yojimbo (Kurosawa, 1969)
Set in 1860.
LINCOLN, (2012) Set in January 1865
43 Sissi, die junge Kaiserin (1956)
I had to place one of these. It ends with the coronation of Elisabeth and Franz Josef as King and Queen of Hungary, and that is in 1867
44. Gone with the Wind (ends in 1873)
45. Zulu (1964)
Battle of Rorke's Drift 1879
Zulu would have been next up for me, too. :thumbup:
46. Unforgiven (1992) (set in 1880-1881)
Then I follow up with
47. Khartoum (1966)
during the siege of Khartoum 1884-85
The nice thing about movies about battles is that they happen on one precise moment in time.
Off on vacation now. I wonder where you'll be when I get back.
48. The Miracle Worker (takes place in 1887)
I'm not supposed to go back-to-back, but it's been several days, so...
49. The Elephant Man (ends with the death of John Merrick in 1890)
I forgot that rule, but that's a lovely selection.
Well - I've got a great one for 1900 (I'm probably not supposed to say) - anyone else got one in the 1890s.......?
Go ahead please. I have one for 1902.
50.) PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK - 1900
So we have 126 years to cover w/ fifty films - could be worse!
There are many more movies set in the past century to choose from. We could potentially have 5 movies set in WWII, not even counting those set in the run-up and the immediate aftermath.
51. Breaker Morant (set in 1902)
52. Finding Neverland (ends in 1904)
53.) An obvious one, probably - BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN - 1905!
I am going to refuse to give up a single year in this century if I can help it. :bouncegiggle: We can go past 100 if need be, surely!
I don't think I can do one every year right now, but the interval is shrinking dramatically. We may not have to get into future based sci-fi films at all.
54. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (they were shot in 1908)
"Future based sci-fi films"?! Didn't realize those were an option!
Well anyway -
55.) PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID - Begins and ends in 1909 (most of the movie is flashbacks)
Quote from: M.10rda on July 23, 2026, 10:07:15 PM"Future based sci-fi films"?! Didn't realize those were an option!
Well anyway -
55.) PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID - Begins and ends in 1909 (most of the movie is flashbacks)
"*Science fiction/fantasy movies are allowed if they are set on a specific date (again, "2001")."
56. A Night to Remember (Titanic sinks, 1912). A 3-year jump. Wanted to be sure that *other* movie wasn't selected.
LOL, I'd never!
I thought by "historical" the film had to depict some things that actually happened in history... though I transgressed that theory w/ NAME OF THE ROSE, probably. But if sci-fi is fair game, are other fiction genres fixed in a specific year? Like, could THE WILD BUNCH or OUR TOWN be a film for 1913?
I will leave you to determine that question, though, and just jump to
57.) PATHS OF GLORY - WWI in 1916 - based on a true story, though fictionalized a bit.
Yes, fiction set in a specific year is allowed. I would have posted THE WILD BUNCH myself.
1917 - This magnificent war movie carries the date in its title.
Lined ya' right up for that one! :) It's #58 I think.
59. All Quiet on the Western Front (any version, but I hear the 2022 remake is good) (set in 1918)
By the way it is possible to have two movies in the same year, if one ends before the other. Not sure it will come up (maybe in WWII?) but wanted to throw the reminder out there.
60 Went the day well? 1942.
You just skipped 24 years!
That's the challenge. Let's see if we can still do it. Though we missed a lot of good stuff.
61. Come and See (massacre occurs in 1943)
Just a few movies that got skipped in that jump: Inherit the Wind, The King's Speech, Dunkirk, Das Boot, Casablanca
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (1998) Set in June of 1944.
I'm glad we got COME AND SEE in there - thank you. We're at the point where we can afford to skip ahead in 2-year intervals - that's it. No more mega-jumps, please! I am stressed out enough @ work! :bouncegiggle:
I'll do my best, M.10orda!
63. Downfall (1945, last days of Hitler)
Quote from: Rev. Powell on July 27, 2026, 08:12:30 AMI'll do my best, M.10orda!
63. Downfall (1945, last days of Hitler)
You beat me to that one! Great film!
Don't do it for me - do it for posterity! :cheers:
NUREMBURG (2025) Set in 1946. Incredible film, snubbed at the Oscars.
64.) NUREMBURG
65.) GODZILLA MINUS ONE (ends in 1947)
I figure if we do a few more 1-year intervals then we can eventually absorb some 3-year intervals at the end (or longer if necessary).......
I was going to go with JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, but it probably overlaps completely with the previous one, so
66. Gandhi (Gandhi dies in 1948)
Someone please post another or I will do a time jump, I swear.
I've been busy at work, I will post another one early tomorrow AM at the latest.
Okay, I dunno, the best ones I've got and can confirm the timelines for take place in or end in 1953. That is a big jump. :bluesad: Perhaps this was inevitable. Rev, do you have a good one that's pre-'53?
My next one is 1953.
Do it, England!
Does anyone else have an idea? If not, I'll post another movie tomorrow.
I've got some for later in the 50s, but I defer to you for 1953.
67. LA Confidential. Fictional, but historically accurate. Takes place in 1953.
Good one.
68.) THE GODFATHER - ends in 1955
If no one has one in mind for 1956, there are several good ones for 1957, including one that ends in '57 that I presume is obvious to the Reverend (as its inclusion would behoove the mission of this website).......
I bet this is the one M.10 was referring to...
69. Ed Wood (end in 1957 at the premier of PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE)
Iiiindeed, thank you, anyone got a '58 or '59?
I don't want to do back-to-back entries, but I'll drop a hint. There's a book adaptation taking place in 1959 with a 7.9 IMDB rating that's on the National Film Registry.
I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down (there's several good ones for '59, though). Let's see if anyone tunes back in on Monday morning and wants to name a '58 or '59... or if this ship has sailed and you and I are going to have to pickle-ball these back and forth between each other for the next 30 titles.
Quote from: M.10rda on August 02, 2026, 08:13:59 PMI'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down (there's several good ones for '59, though). Let's see if anyone tunes back in on Monday morning and wants to name a '58 or '59... or if this ship has sailed and you and I are going to have to pickle-ball these back and forth between each other for the next 30 titles.
Uhh...
La Bamba(1987) - Starts sometime in 1958, & ends in early 1959.....
Alright, that's #70!
In keeping w/ #69, let's do
71.) RED ZONE CUBA (April 1961, of course! :teddyr: )
The 1959 movie I was hinting at was IN COLD BLOOD, but I'm thrilled to see something else from a new contributor! And I did not think of RED ZONE CUBA, good one!
72. Hidden Figures (ends with the Mercury-Atlas 6 flight, Feb. 1962)
28 more movies to go and 64 years to fit them into without resorting to science fiction.
IIIIIII know, IN COLD BLOOD was a good one, BADLANDS was also a possibility and 1 or 3 more I've already forgotten. :lookingup: Anybody got a #73?
Okay, nobody has bitten, and though it seems perverse (in the US anyway) to skip 1963, I'm a perverse guy, so:
73.) FIVE CORNERS (1987) - takes place in NYC during 1964 against the backdrop of the growing civil rights movement.
Just figured this was an opportunity to plug a cool sleeper flick, directed by Tony Bill (UNTAMED HEART), written by John Patrick Shanley (MOONSTRUCK), and starring a great ensemble cast including Jodie Foster, Tim Robbins, Todd Graff, and a terrifying young John Turturro.
74. Malcolm X - ends with X's death in Feb. 1965.
75. Ford vs Ferrari
All about Le Mans 1966
76.) A SERIOUS MAN - set in 1967, boy is it ever. Thanks for rejoining us, Doctor!
77. Full Metal Jacket (Tet offensive, March 1968)
We need to do 23 more titles and have 58 years to work with, seems easy. (Also, the next post should begin movies depicting events from during my lifetime).
78 Milou en Mai
I'm sure there must be an English title. It is set during the upheavals of May 1968 in France
I was away on vacation
That's #77.5 - also 1968. Doctor, do you want to do 1969 for #78?
No, it's number 78: the 78th consecutive movie posted in historical order. I listed the month just in case someone else could post a movie from the same year.
"Milou in May" or "May Fools" is the English title.
Sure, I'll do 1969.
79. Apollo 11 (mission ends July 1969). If you don't like documentaries, substitute "First Man," set at the same time, in your head canon.
We should be able to go past #100 while still remaining in the past.
WHAT!!! I thought it was only 1 per year! :bouncegiggle: Well good job, Doctor. If I'd known we could do multiple (consecutively) per a single year we might be @ 95 by now! :bouncegiggle:
ADDENDUM: APOLLO is #79 if the Doctor's was #78. So #80 is next, right?
Sure, 80 is next (corrected the numbering in my post). Movies can be in the same year as long as the second one ends after the first. Nothing magical about years, it's just that until we got closer to the present we sometimes has to jump by decades or even centuries.
80.) ELVIS & NIXON (2017) or ELVIS MEETS NIXON (1997)
Both set in December 1970.
81. All the President's Men (ends in January 1973 at Nixon's inauguration--I'm not counting the epilogue that goes to 1974)
Well if it's gonna' be that kind of party, then
82.) THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW - begins on August 8th 1974 (w/ Nixon's resignation), apparently ends 3 months later in November. (It's the Time Warp, you see.)
Huh. I didn't remember a Nixon reference in RHPS. Haven't actually seen it in years, though.
He's resigning on the radio in Brad & Janet's car in the beginning when it breaks down.
Rush (2013)
Culminates in the 1976 Formula 1 season
Another one from 1976..... Victory at Entebbe (1976), Raid on Entebbe (1977), Operation Thunderbolt (1977), 7 Days in Entebbe (2018), All of which are about the same thing...........
OK, RUSH is 83.
For VICTORY AT ENTEBBE, it has to take place later than RUSH to count. I have no idea of the months involved there.
It won't work, I'm afraid. The Entebbe raid was in July, while the decisive race in Japan was held in October.
Unless you want to time warp the submissions around.
Well, I was trying to avoid time warping ahead two years...... :smile:
Go for it, we're okay I think. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC1E8yVJIS4
:thumbup: :thumbup: :cheers:
dang... is it too late for me to make an actual entry in this with DAZED & CONFUSED?... set on May 28th/29th, 1976
Yup, according to the RUSH/Entebbe math above, too late. :bluesad: It pays to keep up w/ this thread!
84. Farewell My Concubine (starts in the 1920s, but ends in 1977)
85) Milk(2008) ends in 1978
I was gonna see if I could find something about the Jonestown massacre, but all I could find were documentaries...
Documentaries (historical ones at least) are fine in my opinion, not sure how others feel.
Quote from: LilCerberus on August 07, 2026, 07:55:35 PMI was gonna see if I could find something about the Jonestown massacre, but all I could find were documentaries...
there's the highly accurate and not at all sensationalised GUYANA: CULT OF THE DAMNED (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080833/?ref_=nm_flmg_job_1_accord_1_cdt_t_43) (1978) :teddyr:
Quote from: zombie no.one on August 08, 2026, 06:53:10 AMQuote from: LilCerberus on August 07, 2026, 07:55:35 PMI was gonna see if I could find something about the Jonestown massacre, but all I could find were documentaries...
there's the highly accurate and not at all sensationalised GUYANA: CULT OF THE DAMNED (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080833/?ref_=nm_flmg_job_1_accord_1_cdt_t_43) (1978) :teddyr:
I thought of that one too. At any rate, next up:
86. Goodfellas (ends in 1980)
87 An Ungentlemanly Act
About the Falklands invasion of 1982
88. Boogie Nights (ends in 1984)
89. Pride (2014)
Ends in 1985
90. Casino (ends with Nicky Santoro's murder in 1986)
I don't think I have a really good one until 1992 - but we are approaching the final stretch. Anyone else have late 80s?
No, but we have 10 movies left and 40 years to work with, so a jump would not hurt right now.
91.) CITIZEN X (1995) - Ends in 1992. WNY native Jeffrey DeMunn is a masterfully disturbing Andrei Chikatilo!
annoyingly I used to have a crappy sci-fi action movie set in the 'future' of 1994... can't remember what it is though.
I suk at this thred.
It's okay. This one requires avid engagement, which can be a challenge for me. We've all missed one or two shots... maybe it'll come to you today.
92. Black Hawk Down (occurs in 1993)
Zombie, are you thinking of a Jean Claude Van Damme movie?
Open to anyone. We need 8 more movies and have 33 years (plus future-set science fiction if needed) to work with.
93.) THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (1999) - takes place/supposedly recorded in October 1994. :bouncegiggle: Hey, I ain't proud!
Quote from: M.10rda on August 12, 2026, 06:42:44 AMIt's okay. This one requires avid engagement, which can be a challenge for me. We've all missed one or two shots... maybe it'll come to you today.
haha appreciate the words of encouragement amigo :thumbup:
Quote from: Rev. Powell on August 12, 2026, 08:16:29 AMZombie, are you thinking of a Jean Claude Van Damme movie?
nah this was something super trashy and obscure... don't think I have it any more. oh well
edit - searching around, and it's not THE APPLE (1980) , which is set in '94... this one was late-80s made iirc
Just a little too late for HOTEL RWANDA, unfortunately.
94. SUDDEN DEATH (JC Van Damme) Set during a (fictional) Stanley Cup finals in 1995.
This was not the JCVD movie I was referencing earlier. (Turns out I was wrong about that one ending in 1994).
Bump for someone else.
Only one I can think of close to that date is:
95. Strange Days. Set in the last couple of days of 1999.
OK, since we're doing science fiction:
96. 2001: A Space Odyssey
Bump for someone else. Only 4 to go, and 25 years of recent history to work with.
Hate to go back-to-back, but we're so close and so we don't get stuck:
97. Spotlight (ends in January 2002)
We need three movies in 24 years, not including future-set sci-fi.
NOT including future set sci-fi? Well - I was delaying 'cause I had no good ideas prior to 2010: THE YEAR WE MAKE CONTACT. Is that okay for #98 or do we want a true story?
Alas, my next pick would be or would've been 2012, the atrocious yet amusing Mayan Apocalypse movie starring John Cusack.......
You can do future set sci-fi if you want, I was just pointing out we don't have to go past 2026. 2010 is the future passed. Let's call it
98: 2010: THE YEAR WE MAKE CONTACT
I was also holding out for 2012, so
99 2012
The neutrinos are mutating!
100. The Wizard of the Kremlin (ends about 2019-2022, from what I read).
Thanks, this was a cool one for me! We can continue with future-set movies, if you know the dates they are set in. I have a few.
1. Adam and Eve (prehistory)
2. One Million Years B.C. (1,000,000 BC)
3. Quest for Fire (Prehistoric, about 80,000 BC)
4. 10,000 BC (10,000 BC)
5. The Scorpion King (~3000 BC.)
6. The Ten Commandments. (~1446 BC-1250 BC)
7. Samson and Delilah (~1070 BC)
8. David and Goliath (~1015 BC)
9. David and Bathsheba (~990 BC)
10. The Fourth Wise Man (~33 AD)
11. Ben Hur (~33 AD)
12. Caligula (41 AD)
13. Quo Vadis (~68 AD)
14. The Last Days of Pompeii (79 AD)
15. Gladiator (180)
16. Excalibur (~500)
17. Erik the Conqueror (~800)
18. The 13th Warrior (895-932)
19. El Cid (~1099)
20. Kingdom of Heaven (1187)
21. Alexander Nevsky (1242)
22. Marco Polo (1271-1293)
23. Braveheart (1290-1300)
24. The Outlaw King (1307)
25. The Name of the Rose (1327)
26. Henry V (1415)
27. Andrei Rublev (1424)
28. Joan of Arc (1431)
29. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1482)
30. Elizabeth (1558-60)
31. Fire Over England (1588)
32. Shakespeare in Love (1593)
33. The Devils (1634)
34. Restoration (1664)
35. The Favourite (1705)
36. Mutiny on the Bounty (1789)
37. Master and Commander (1809)
38. Waterloo (1815)
39. Amistad (1839)
40. Charge of the Light Brigade (1853-56)
41. Yojimbo (1860)
42. Lincoln (1865)
43. Sissi, die junge Kaiserin (1867)
44. Gone with the Wind (1873)
45. Zulu (1879)
46. Unforgiven (1880-1881)
47. Khartoum (1884-85)
48. The Miracle Worker (1887)
49. The Elephant Man (1890)
50. Picnic at Hanging Rock (1900)
51. Breaker Morant (1902)
52. Finding Neverland (1904)
53. Battleship Potemkin (1905)
54. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1908)
55. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1909)
56. A Night to Remember (1912)
57. Paths of Glory (1916)
58. 1917 (1917)
59. All Quiet on the Western Front (1918)
60. Went the day well? (1942)
61. Come and See (1943)
62. Saving Private Ryan (1944)
63. Downfall (1945)
64. Nuremberg (1946)
65. Godzilla Minus One (1947)
66. Gandhi (1948)
67. LA Confidential (1953)
68. The Godfather (1955)
69. Ed Wood (1957)
70. La Bamba (1959)
71. Red Zone Cuba (1961)
72. Hidden Figures (1962)
73. Five Corners (1963)
74. Malcolm X (1965)
75. Ford vs Ferrari (1966)
76. A Serious Man (1967)
77. Full Metal Jacket (March 1968)
78. Milou en Mai (May 1968)
79. Apollo 11 (1969)
80. Elvis Meets Nixon (1970)
81. All the President's Men (1973)
82. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1974)
83. Rush (1976)
84. Farewell My Concubine (1977)
85. Milk (1978)
86. Goodfellas (1980)
87. An Ungentlemanly Act (1982)
88. Boogie Nights (1984)
89. Pride (1985)
90. Casino (1986)
91. Citizen X (1992)
92. Black Hawk Down (1993)
93. The Blair Witch Project (1994)
94. Sudden Death (1995)
95. Strange Days (1999)
96. 2001: A Space Odyssey (2001)
97. Spotlight (2002)
98. 2010: The Year We Make Contact (2010)
99. 2012 (2012)
100. The Wizard of the Kremlin (2022)
It's a major accomplishment. :thumbup:
I can think of a few future ones but none within the next 22 years...
Feel free to keep going with ones set in the future. E.g.
101. Children of Men (ends in 2027, I'm told).
Okay,
102.) BLADE RUNNER 2049
then.
(I hope 22 year jumps are now acceptable, lol.)
Sure: I'll jump 18 years.
103. Interstellar — ends 2067