Main Menu

The 50 "Greatest" TV Icons

Started by Allhallowsday, November 13, 2007, 10:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Oldskool138 on November 14, 2007, 09:55:17 PM
You're also quoting yourself, OLDSKOOL138, I didn't say that about JOHNNY CARSON...
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

Oldskool138

D'oh!

Okay call off the dogs......

*hides underneath his desk*   :bluesad:
He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Oldskool138 on November 14, 2007, 10:07:00 PM
D'oh!

You're a good egg, Oldskool138, and I give you karma because you are honest and cool.   :thumbup:
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

JaseSF

Gorgeous George. How many people back in the day bought TVs just to watch his pro wrestling antics. Him and the likes of the Amazing Rocca and Buddy Rogers.
"This above all: To thine own self be true!"

Oldskool138

Quote from: Allhallowsday on November 14, 2007, 10:13:23 PM
Quote from: Oldskool138 on November 14, 2007, 10:07:00 PM
D'oh!

You're a good egg, Oldskool138, and I give you karma because you are honest and cool.   :thumbup:

Thanks!   :bouncegiggle:
He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place

RCMerchant

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

ulthar

I have not read the list, but I can imagine I'd find some I like, some head scratchers and some "WHY OH WHY didn't they include..." on there.

I've come to the conclusion that these lists are flawed in their basic premise.  To pick a Top 50 (or whatever) is ludicrous.  Art Carney's genius is in no way, shape or form diminished by Johnny Carson's.  To me, it's about not "who the best."  This statement is probably especially true when the list is as broad as "television."

Sorry for the tirade, but I've just grown weary with the competitive culture that says talented person X is better than talented person Y.  I've come to believe that X and Y can both be pretty darn good, and I really don't have to choose between them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius

CheezeFlixz

Quote from: ulthar on November 14, 2007, 10:49:46 PM
I have not read the list, but I can imagine I'd find some I like, some head scratchers and some "WHY OH WHY didn't they include..." on there.

I've come to the conclusion that these lists are flawed in their basic premise.  To pick a Top 50 (or whatever) is ludicrous.  Art Carney's genius is in no way, shape or form diminished by Johnny Carson's.  To me, it's about not "who the best."  This statement is probably especially true when the list is as broad as "television."

Sorry for the tirade, but I've just grown weary with the competitive culture that says talented person X is better than talented person Y.  I've come to believe that X and Y can both be pretty darn good, and I really don't have to choose between them.

LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!

Jack

Quote from: Rev. Powell on November 14, 2007, 01:00:36 AM
A slightly off topic pet peeve: I hate this new style of Internet "best of" list where they won't let you see the whole list at a glance, but make you click through every single entry.  Clicking my mouse 50 times is too much effort to invest to see who Entertainment Weekly thinks is the top TV icon of all time.   

Couldn't have said it any better myself  :teddyr:
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho

RCMerchant

Quote from: Jack on November 15, 2007, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: Rev. Powell on November 14, 2007, 01:00:36 AM
A slightly off topic pet peeve: I hate this new style of Internet "best of" list where they won't let you see the whole list at a glance, but make you click through every single entry.  Clicking my mouse 50 times is too much effort to invest to see who Entertainment Weekly thinks is the top TV icon of all time.   

Couldn't have said it any better myself  :teddyr:

I agree...but it gave me a good excuse to look up and  post pictures of cool Munster toys!  :teddyr:
"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant