Main Menu

Roadkill (2011)

Started by WingedSerpent, June 13, 2021, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingedSerpent

Watched this Friday, and for a Syfy movie,  it wasn't all that bad.  I had been meaning to see it since the cover features "Crawling Woman"  that we've noticed on several movie covers.

Six post college friends are taking a road trip through Ireland, when they get themselves placed under a curse that has them being hunted by a large bird called a Rocc.

Let me get the bad out of the way first.  This is still a Syfy movie so it has a lot of what that entails.  Some of the characters are annoying and due stupid things.  The monster is all cheap CGI.  And the plot is one I'm sure a lot of us have seen before.  One of the only real twists is that the final survivor isn't who I thought it would be.

But I think it was decently paced, had one or two practical gore effects. The monster stays a constant threat or presences through the movie-so not a lot of  unnecessary downtime.  And really, there aren't a lot of killer bird movies.  There's The Birds by Alfred Hitchock, the Birdemic series, and off course theThe Giant Claw.  (I know there's probabl others, but none I can really think of right now)

Speaking of the Giant Claw.  Its obvious the Roc in this movie is modeled after the infamous big-as-a-battleship-buzzard.  It looks like a somewhat less goofy version of it. 

If you can watch a Syfy original, you should be able to get through this: no problem.  Wasn't bad.  Might watch it again sometime.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...

Dr. Whom

For a second I read 'a more goofy version of the Giant Claw', and wondered how that was possible before I realised my mistake.
"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

Rev. Powell

You should create a blog where you only review movies whose posters feature the Crawling Woman, and rate them as to how much crawling is in them.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

chainsaw midget

Quote from: Rev. Powell on June 16, 2021, 02:59:38 PM
You should create a blog where you only review movies whose posters feature the Crawling Woman, and rate them as to how much crawling is in them.
I love this idea. 

WingedSerpent

Quote from: chainsaw midget on June 17, 2021, 01:12:41 PM
I love this idea. 

I feel if we're going to do that, we should come up with a name for her instead of constantly calling her the Crawling Woman.   Cathy Crawl ,  or Slithering Samantha.
At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...

atticusedwards

I just watched it yesterday, It's pretty good but maybe still not interesting enough for me.  :twirl: :twirl: :twirl:

chainsaw midget

Quote from: WingedSerpent on June 21, 2021, 05:04:49 PM
I love this idea. 

I feel if we're going to do that, we should come up with a name for her instead of constantly calling her the Crawling Woman.   Cathy Crawl ,  or Slithering Samantha.
Katie Crawly? 

Rev. Powell

Quote from: chainsaw midget on June 24, 2021, 11:11:21 PM
Quote from: WingedSerpent on June 21, 2021, 05:04:49 PM
I love this idea. 

Katie Crawly? 

Cindy Crawlford?
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

RCMerchant

Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Dr. Whom

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

KaseyBear