Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:32:45 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Being Safe Online « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Being Safe Online  (Read 10239 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 19, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »

Hey everybody, Ash's recent post about spyware made me think about safe Internet surfing.  These days, it is far too easy for a malicious website (or banner, or message board post) to affect your computer.  So, some quick suggestions to keep your computer safe while online.  Anyone with good info feel free to chime in.

First, keep your computer up to date with security patches.  Windows 2000 and XP work pretty well with Microsoft Update.  Microsoft tends to release one batch of updates per month, often between the 10th to 18th.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Most Linux users will know this, but tools like AutoRPM and even Cpanel can be used to keep Linux and Linux servers updated with new versions of software/RPMs.

Second, I really have to suggest moving away from Internet Explorer if you can. I keep it on my computer, for testing the site, but also to access websites that require you to use IE (which is a stupid way to design something).  My current browser is Firefox.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Users, keep those security zones and trusted sites set to levels that make you seem paranoid!

Keep your Java up to date.  Sun's Java program is used a lot on websites, often to provide functionality, but it can be used to do things that should not work.  The latest version is your best bet, as Sun tries to keep those holes patched.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Always keep an updated antivirus program on your computer.  I use Norton, which seems to be pretty stable and does not give me problems.  Also, use either a hardware or software firewall.  Many wireless routers now come with firewall functionality as part of their functions.  I believe that zone alarm is still free:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

Use AdAware Personal or another spyware detector and check your computer often:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

I cannot stress enough the next point:  do not go click-crazy when something strange pops up as you are visiting a website.  If you get a strange pop-up box, close it (by using the X in the corner, not by clicking anyway inside).  If it keeps coming back, then go and disable javascript and java, then close it.  If that is too technical, then control-alt-delete and end process your browser.

As a catch-all, the US Cert site's tips for cyber security:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 07:51:41 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:51:59 PM »

This recent spyware issue was a rarity for me.
I keep my p.c. locked down pretty good.
I always keep Java updated and I run AVG Free Edition anti-virus.
Also, I run AdAware and Spybot at least once a week and I make sure to keep them both updated regularly.
On top of that, I run Spywareblaster in the background which prevents websites from installing spyware and other nasty items on my computer.
I also occasionally run HijackThis.
So this spyware infiltration came as a big surprise.

I've been mulling over whether to switch to Firefox.
All of my friends use it and they're always trying to get me to install it.
But now with the new version of Internet Explorer out, it seems it offers more security comparable to that of Firefox though I haven't installed it yet.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 11:58:43 PM »

I cannot stress enough the next point:  do not go click-crazy when something strange pops up as you are visiting a website.

I'd like to add to this last point with a comment on phishing, which is more email/spam related than surfing but it IS similar.  Do NOT respond to unsolicited emails that are suspicious, PERIOD.  Especially the "click here to remove" links, and links that SAY they are from E-Bay or your Bank.  ALWAYS hover your mouse over a link and check the status bar of your browser to see where the link points to.  If it is gobbledegook that does not look like the site in the link, don't click it.

Quote from: Ashthecat

I've been mulling over whether to switch to Firefox.
All of my friends use it and they're always trying to get me to install it.
But now with the new version of Internet Explorer out, it seems it offers more security comparable to that of Firefox though I haven't installed it yet.

Ash, do yourself, and the ENTIRE Internet a favor and dump IE IMMEDIATELY.  I'll be happy to share with you some of the technical back-end reasons to not trust IE, but in summary: IE is part of Windows.  It is "integrated" with the operating system.  Malware that "owns" IE "owns" the whole computer.  Period.

With Firefox (or any other non-integrated browser), you get a benefit analogous to biodiversity in a natural ecosystem.  A malicious piece of software can infect your browser, but that's all it can infect.  Put another way, IE crashes often crash the whole computer, but a Firefox crash is remedied by simply closing Firefox. 

Firefox has also been designed with security in place from the get-go, not as bolt-on aftermarket kruft meant to close the barn door after the horse has fled.  Firefox is w3c compliant and IE is so far from compliance it is a joke.

As for the new version?  Well, like I said; do yourself a favor and use a third party browser.  With Firefox being free, why take the chance that IE 7 is the same old piece of CRAP that all the other versions have been?  Also, it is well known that Version 7 does not really improve the w3c compliance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Being Safe Online « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.