Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:06:38 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Plan 9 from Outer Space « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Author Topic: Plan 9 from Outer Space  (Read 229068 times)
peter johnson
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2000, 01:51:34 PM »

What's amazing is how well this thing holds up to repeated viewings.  You are left with the same sense of drop-jawed amazement at Deloris Fuller's reading of the line:  "They're out there and you're here, but I'M in here . . .".  It makes as little sense now as it did 29 years ago.  Really, each time you see it, you can find new things to be amazed at--you couldn't INTENTIONALLY make something like this, or like ROBOT MONSTER, or THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN, which I consider creative equals to Plan 9.  Keep the rewind button handy, especially if you haven't seen it before, as you will want to re-savor certain delights.  Don't just dwell on the errors that others have already told you about:  Cardboard gravestones, etc.  Find your own!!  Also, the writer here who mentions Vampira, ie. The Elvira wannabe--it's really the other way around:  Vampira actually took Elvira to court once for copyright infringement.  Also, Vampira was James Dean's girlfriend at one time, so she has way more coolness points than Elvira.
Chris
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2000, 01:51:37 PM »

I first saw this flick when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old.  Now kids of this age are usually too unsophisicated to know good film from bad film.  However, "Plan 9 From Outerspace" is so horrible that even at such a tender age I realized this movie was a complete stinkeroo. Yet, when I saw it later on one of those late night horror shows hosted by some broad with magnificent cleavage, I howled with laughter.  This movie is so bad, that it is entertaining in the nth degree.  Thus, even the worst of films can be redeemed by their very badness.  
SusieQ
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Had a bout of insomnia and clicked on the tube. Nothing much else on except CHIPS,News,infomercials selling exercise equipment and some home shopping channels. It was about 10 minutes into Plan 9. So I stuck with Plan 9. In all my years I had never seen it that I can recall. But it was absolutely fabulous!! Love Bela. (Sort of reminiscent of "The Day The Earth Stood Still".)
It was sad to learn that Bela had passed away before completing the film. I know It would not have been his proudest moment but in his prime he was a wonderful part of movie history. And I have always liked Greg Walcott. Always thought he might have made it big if he had been in the right place at the right time.
By the halfway mark my sleeping pill was kicking in so I stumbled off to bed. But I will make it a point to catch it again and watch the entire film.
And I'm glad to have found this website.

Nova
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie is completely and totally insane. I loved it! This movie is so dumb that it actually becomes amuzing, and then really funny. Even in my wildest dreams I could not make a worse movie; I used to make super 8 movies with Lego that are beautifull compared to this. Can you really  expect anything but complete and utter nonsense from a movie called 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'? What the hell was he thinking when he made this "movie" ?- and I use the term movie loosely. I've never seen a movie that has EVERY mistake you could possibly make in a movie as if it was meant to be...amazing...Ed you are my hero!.....
Blake
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Plan 9 is the one of the funnest movies I've ever seen.  How can you beat lines like, "Inspector Clay's dead.  Murdered, and someone's responsible?"  In addition, everytime I've watched it, I've seen something new and hilarious...  If you're only going to own one really bad B-grade movie, this is it!
mixzamatosiz
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Everyone keeps calling Plan 9 'bad' but in the eighties bad ment good and in 2001 who knows what it means.  Modern huge budget hollywood rubbish is nothing on this.  You really get the personality of Ed Wood coming through, possibly because he wrote, produced, directed and edited this film. If someone else had editted it, would it exist today?  Did he really think we wouldn't notice the terrible story, acting and incontinuity.  Its night time as the police get into their car, its day when theyre driving down the road, then "minutes later" its night time again.  I love the way he tries to fit an awkward sort of moral message into every scene in the script - shame it never makes any sense.  Gasp at the horrific (off-screen) car crash that kills Bela (screech of tires, high pitched scream), be shocked by the terror of Vampira's monster as she raises her arms, look quizzical as Tor bumbles through his speaking part, wince as the hero guy and the alien have a punch-up.  Just watch it.  Still not as good as Ed Woods 'Bride of the Monster/Atom, whatever...', one of Bela's stoopidest roles.  Both display Ed Woods amazing regurgitation of sad tired old cliches, poorly edited stock footage, and simple naiveity.
lostmissy
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Vampiria actually had her lower ribs removed so she could be thinner ( i think her acting talent was also removed). This movie just makes my day. One of my daydreams is to see plan 9 and robot monster as a double bill at a drive-in movie somewhere. the thrills! the chills! and god I just love the announcer's hair too ...geez !! it makes a girl's heart just flutter lol . One of the few movies on this list that I can watch sober (well mostly)
Randy
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Edd Wood could do less with nothing than anybody. This is a good 'bad' movie. You see a bad 'bad' movie is quickly forgotten, however a good 'bad' movie is not only remembered, but shared. How many of us bought the video and shared it with others saying, "you gotta see this !" I know I did.
Chris Schneider
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The first time I saw this movie was right after I had a molar tooth removed at the dentist. my mouth felt like a napalm strike took place in there because the pain killers didn't work, a meter of gauze was shoved up my mouth and there was enough blood lost to fund a red cross drive. I was laughing hysterically within the opening scene of this movie. They don't make flicks like these anymore.
okami
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"Visits?  Why, that would indicate VISITORS!"

I then realised that there was no God...
Elwood
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This is one of the deepest and most meaningful movies I've ever seen.  Its antiwar message was ahead of its time, its special effects are creative, its acting is inspiring. Bela Lugosi gives the performance of his life, and Dudley Manlove is clearly serious about tackling such an important role as Eros. I urge you to see this film, you will never forget it.
Peter Krug
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

What can I say about this film that hasn't been said already before? I know! Here's MY favorite line: it's the scene where the general has his tanks shoot at the flying saucers. The narrator tells us,"The general makes the most important decision of his life-he gives the order to open fire." Without question the movie that defined "So bad, it's good." This one is a must-see every bit as much as the first STAR WARS flick, although for entierly different reasons.
Scott
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie deserves so much more than people give it. First of all, YOU CAN'T SEE THE STRINGS!! I must have seen this movie about 7 times now, and there are NO strings. Now, there are shadows on the background from the space ships passing by, but NO strings. Another thing is that Ed Wood was really a terrific writer, but a terrible director. In the movie "ED Wood" by Tim Burton, Ed says that all he wants to do is tell stories. Stories that he finds interesting. And they really are interesting stories. I don't know how many movies he made during his life time, but I know of three, and they all tell really interesting stories. Glen or Glenda is about his transexualism. Bride of the Monster tells of a man outcasted from his country and now wants revenge by creating atomic supermen. Plan 9 From Outer Space talks about man's ignorance for destruction
and how aliens must stop man from destroying everything. These are great ideas, unfortunately, Ed Wood Jr. did direct it. He really should have just stuck to writing, and let someone else take over the fine details. My guess of why Ed's movies were so bad was that he worked too fast, and didn't stop and take time to work out the little things that create inconsistencies. Inconsistencies like a shallow lake for a giant octopus (Bride of the Monster). The death of Bela Lugosi in the real world, and then Ed trying to cast a new person to play his dead double (obviously Plan 9). Ed wasn't a bad guy, just a bad director. A good writer, but bad director, so don't judge Mr. Edward D. Wood Jr. harshly.
Noel
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2002, 04:20:43 PM »

Gregory Walcot(trent)is my 2nd cousin. He told me a few years ago that he tried to distance himself from this film. After he made it he did not work in Hollywood for several years. What some of you may not know the funding for this film came from a deeply religous man that wanted to make religous films. Ed Wood got him to fund Plan 9 as a way of making lots of $ that could then be used to make the religous movies. Greg was a aspring actor that attended the same church and agreed to do the film as a favor. He said the second we walked on the set, he knew he had made a mistake. He also had a small part in Ed Wood, so he was the only actor in both films. I think he may be the only survivor today.
Ben
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2002, 10:10:29 PM »

I must say that this was the most horrid movie I have ever watched....  And let me just say for the record that I loved every minute of it....  Where are all the crappy movies these days that were so good?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Plan 9 from Outer Space « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.