Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:12:57 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Army of Darkness « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Army of Darkness  (Read 135528 times)
Squishy
« on: September 15, 1999, 12:48:13 PM »

This is old news for fans, but Briget Fonda is the helpless maiden in Housewares at the end, which was a last-minute patch job when the original, darker ending didn't go over with test audiences (no spoiler, let's just say Ash REALLY screws up). This original ending is intact in the Japanese video version (titled, "Captain Supermarket"!!!) and the American comic-book adaptation.
athenachri@aol.com
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 1999, 04:09:08 PM »

Actually, Bridgette Fonda is Ash's "revised" girlfriend at the beginning of the film.  The original girlfriend was someone else,but Fonda follows in her aunt's (Jane Fonda, Barbarella) footsteps and finds a place among the classics.
lex_particle@hotmail.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 1999, 05:39:16 PM »

Well in Europe, we got the different ending on the video...

DON'T READ UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS...

Ash is given the sleeping potion, miscalculates the drops and wakes up in London(!) in a post-apoco-apoca-appocy- (ah, you know what I mean... look, it's 10.30 and I'm tired, okay...)

Where was I...?

Ah yes, Ash wakes up in the future.  And everything has been destroyed... The film ends with him shouting something to the effect of "too many... too many drops!!" or similar...

I believe this ending is included on the special edition DVD...

Cheers,

Lex
Splice
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 1999, 11:17:01 AM »

This is my favorite movie of all time, I own all three parts of the trilogy. They just released a special edition CHS with 15 minutes of extra footage, like a scene where Ash breaks one of the skeleton arms in half and says "Keep your damn filthy hands out of my mouth." and instead of saying "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." he says "I'm not that good.". The original ending is also attached to this film, but as many other people have pointed out the S-Mart ending is far superior. There is also practically no chance for fan fiction or a sequel with the original ending, unless there are some appocalyptic survivors. An interesting fact is that Ash only takes one extra drop, transporting him only a hundred years in the future, AND the buildings seem to stll be smoking, implying that the appocalypse just took place. Interesting...
JoeDabomb@netscape.net
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 1999, 11:56:26 PM »

This Movie combines the aspects of a good and bad movie! Altogether it is probably the coolest action, fantasy, horror, and cheesiest movie of all time! I hope that they make a fourth one someday!
reignsong@yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2000, 03:16:15 PM »

This movie would have been the greatest of all time if Briget Fonda was naked, then we'd have the ultimate flick.  That aside, this movie kicked hard!  I am almost inspired to read my aunt's copy of "The Necronimicon," but I am still too chicken. I'll stick to "tree hugger" magick. This movie was cool just for the fact they delved into the occult, much like it's pre-quals.
Paul H.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2000, 03:32:43 PM »

Good movie but lacks the true genuis of the first two movies.  I guess it simply had too much money and went two far into comedy.  I looks better than evil dead 1 and 2 and Bruce Cambell is still one of the three best actors alive.  The supporting cast just lacks a little charm.  (no BOBBY JOE!!!!)

7.25 out of 10 (4 green globs for actual quality)
(5 green globs is possible because in parts in is very good and can be rewatch several times)
Adam
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2000, 10:06:25 PM »

I remember driving like a bat out of hell to see this as my boss made me work a bit late and there was no way I was going to miss this movie.It is a lot of fun but I was much more mesmorized by Evil Dead 2 which I saw during its theatrical run nearly 13 years a go.One of the best times I have ever had at the theater.
Chris K.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2000, 08:32:40 AM »

I am A fan of the Evil Dead series. I loved the first one, I laughed at the second one, and I liked the third one. ARMY OF DARKNESS (originaly planed to be called EVIL DEAD 3, and it should have been that way) continues with our slapstick hero Ash travels back to the Middle Ages and fights a army of skelitons. Originaly 92 minutes, Universal Studios (damn their evil distribution ways!) cut the film down to 86 minutes and added a new ending because movies today need a "happy" ending (makes you wonder if it ever occured to them that some independent films break the laws of filmaking, like how Herschell Gordon Lewis made the first gore film, but that's another story). Anchor Bay Entertainment has just issued out the original "Director's Cut" of the film under it's original 92 minutes plus with the original ending and four rare deleated scenes. So watch this flick for scares and inyentional laughs, but if you want to be scared watch THE EVIL DEAD (1979).
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2000, 06:01:56 PM »

I found EVIL DEAD boring, I found EVIL DEAD 2 awesome, but ARMY OF DARKNESS only made me wish that MST3K had picked it up. I thought it was too funny for its own good. The first two were serious horror, this was just childish humor. I enjoy childish horror movies, but this was ridiculous. Sam Raimi should have known better. But I'm surprised you noticed the cable on Ash's back. I had to rewind it a few times to finally see it clearly.
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2000, 03:34:16 PM »

Army of Darkness is without a doubt, the best of the Evil Dead series. Bruce Cambell redefines his role as Ash, the rebel outsider who always seems to have the unfortunate task  of destroying hordes of Zombies. The effects are top rate. I was fortunate to obtain the special edition, which contains both endings. Anyone on this site who wants to correspond with me, contact me, at chaplin889@hotmail.com. I will be very interested in comments on any movie related topics. Thank you.
Pantsman
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2000, 03:54:14 PM »

This is the cornest movie ever made......I looooved it. It was sweet. I got the collecters edition, it had the original and S-mart ending. I like the S-mart ending more. Bruce Campbell is perfect for a role as Ash. With that lantern jaw, he looks corny! How couldn't this get nominated for a oscer? Bad dialoge( hail to the king, baby), bad special effects, bad acting, Bruce Campbell. This movie had everything! Hell, even my mom liked it. Not as violent as the first two.....But just as good.}:)
Bruno Combat
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2000, 08:44:46 PM »

EVIL DEAD TRILOGY make sucess even here in BRAZIL.
Go to my site

http://evildeadbrazil.cjb.net
Swamprat
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Okay kiddies...A love-hate situation with this one. First the hates...More money sequels just never measure up. Money, money, everywhere. But Ash isn't the totally hapless twit he was in the first two. He's a hybred now, a homegrown-self made super hero. Situations are now contrived, and predictable. Most of the humor is forced. Bruce Campbell isn't really being Ash, he's an actor doing shtick...Now the loves...Well...Bruce Campbell doing shtick! The guy is hilarious. The contrived situations, again, hilarious. I knew what was going to happen and was waiting and wanting for it. Did anyone notice that he has a double barreled shotgun, but he fires it three times before reloading it? The first time I thought I caught a typical sloppy oversite...but after keeping count through the rest of the movie...Allright Sam! That's a good one. Inside joke for the bad movie buffs! The freshness of the first two Evil Dead films is what's sorely lacking here, but Army of Darkness is still funny and worth watching. If this had been the first one made, it would have been a horror fantasy comic masterpiece...but as is, its just a souped up quasi-sequel to what was really one idea to start with. Three attempts at the same idea, each one with a little more money to work with than the one before. Evil Dead 2 is and will remain my favorite of the series. As far as the endings are concerned, I liked both the S-mart and the DVD versions. The DVD one is more fitting to the feel and spirit of the two earlier films. The S-mart ending is more of a send-up of the whole three film series in a nutshell. I laughed out loud at the S-mart ending, laughed inside while nodding my head at the DVD...I knew it was coming. If you like either of the other two films, you'll like this one. It's a fun, if not fresh, movie...and as always, Bruce Campbell doing Three Stooges shtick with the dead is a riot. A bunch of mini-Ashes running around looking for weapons is a riot. The skeleton army getting its ass kicked to pieces is a riot. Ashes one liners are a riot. This has been a great idea, but I think the series should end here. As far as I know, it has.
B-Man
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2000, 08:26:40 AM »

I laughed, I cried, I kissed two bucks goodbye.  What can I say?  Army Of Darkness, like its predecessors is just so darn likeable and engaging.  Campbell's Ash will never, ever win an Oscar, which is really a shame because, in many ways, the character has evolved on the same lines as some of our greater screen heroes.  That is to say yes, he's a clod-hopper, yes he seems to constantly screw up at times when he needs to be the most focused, and yes he's a real selfish ol' Jim-Jim.  Like Oscar-worthy characters, however, I find myself feeling sympathetic to him, his plight, and earnestly interact with the film hoping that he will eventually succeed.  Oh, and I also giggled my dang silly head off for pretty much the whole movie.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Army of Darkness « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.