Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:36:36 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Starcrash « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Starcrash  (Read 194391 times)
mrgb46
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »

Just got the movie yesterday from Movies Unlimited(fast service,by the way!)and it's everything the reviews said it was.Thank you!I guess the only small complaint is that it's not digitally remastered,so it's only VHS quality.No big deal though.It's still an enjoyably beyond bad movie that belongs up there with Plan 9 From Outer Space....[/color] Thumbup
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »

Ah gots me the 1979 "Charter Entertainment" VHS -- In "HI-FI Mono!", the label proudly proclaims -- in perfect shape.
The sound is superb, no fading or lines on the image . . . Just raw, Naked Cheese . . .
Everyone has something to say about the bad spaceships and the silly torpedo attack, but let me draw some attention to the constumes:  Flash Gordon Goes to the Disco!!!
What fun . . .
peter j./denny c.

I have no idea what this means.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »

I actually saw this one when it was first released to the theaters. And the human-torpedo attacks do stand out. Andrew enjoyed this one more than I did.
Desperadorrj
New Visitor

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »

I've only seen this movie once on cable in 1980. That's all I needed. I fell in love with Caroline Munro from that moment. So what if she can barely act and this movie was completely awful. CM stole my heart and I'm forever grateful.

Thank you Caroline for being in the greatest bad movie ever made.

Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2007, 01:24:06 PM »

I've only seen this movie once on cable in 1980. That's all I needed. I fell in love with Caroline Munro from that moment. So what if she can barely act and this movie was completely awful.

actually, she's not a bad actress at all.  she was completely dubbed in this movie, for unknown reasons.  she does not sound like a girl from Kansas in other movies (i.e. AT THE EARTH'S CORE, CAPTAIN KRONOS) so it's hard to fault her for the delivery here.

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
hanelpanel
New Visitor

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2007, 01:23:23 PM »

"DUPLO-class battlecruiser"- great slam, dude!
Bilbo
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2008, 09:11:54 AM »

????????

I consider myself a cooisseur of the bad movie.
And I must say that this is the worst I've seen in a long time.

Buy it.
cirocco
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »

In response to Andrew's comment on the anamorphic region 2 PAL 2-disc edition of Starcrash (from Neo Publishing) being of poor quality, is your info from this review?
www.et-alors.net/articles/286
I would worry more about PAL speedup of John Barry's music, also about French subtitles being removable.
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2008, 06:44:10 PM »

Man, I love machine translation.  I don't speak (or read) French, so I used Babel Fish to translate that page for me.  Here's an example:

It is smelled especially that the person in charge for the special effects in dribbled to make his fakings with nothing twice.

I'm sure there's a French idiom buried in there, somewhere.   TongueOut Question TeddyR

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »

In response to Andrew's comment on the anamorphic region 2 PAL 2-disc edition of Starcrash (from Neo Publishing) being of poor quality, is your info from this review?
www.et-alors.net/articles/286
I would worry more about PAL speedup of John Barry's music, also about French subtitles being removable.

That is not the site I remember reading, because it was in English.  I think that I found those references (about the quality) on WTF Film, and on another site.  The screencaps on the site you linked to make the quality look pretty good.  Heck, the captures from "Escape from Galaxy 3" are pretty good too - better than either VHS version I've seen of that horrible film.

The best version I have found is the one I link to on the review for purchase from Amazon.com.  Amazon lists it as being released by Telavista, but the case says Substance released the DVD.  The others I've seen were, I believe, from St. Clair as "Female Space Invaders" and also another unknown (I parted with the DVD a while ago, and cannot find a cover art that matches my memory).

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pumaman1138
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2008, 12:14:36 AM »

Apologies if anyone else has noticed and posted the links to

a fan made MST3K style thing using Starcrash

here is the experiment:

Part 1 of Starcrash Media Center Theatre 3000
is at
Small | Large

Part 2 >>
Small | Large

Part 3 >>>
Small | Large

Part 4 >>>
Small | Large

Part 5 >>>
Small | Large

Part 6 >>>
Small | Large

Part 7 >>>
Small | Large

Part 8 >>>
Small | Large

Part 9 >>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=wAl6Zb_1bFA (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Part 10 >> http://youtube.com/watch?v=7xLNGlQbYVA (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Part 11 >> http://youtube.com/watch?v=OGjeGV9HMVQ (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Part 12 >> http://youtube.com/watch?v=63KHIzGzjeA (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:17:16 AM by Pumaman1138 » Logged

You don't have to be mad to work here, in fact we ask you to complete a medical questionnaire to ensure that you are not.  ---- David Brent (Ricky Gervais), The Office
Alan
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »

This was actually the 1st film recorded on my parents first VCR back in the early 80s off of cable.  So I grew up watching it many times over the decades and loving every minute.  Yeah, it's as bad as they say, but "so bad, it's good" and a definite guilty pleasure to be sure. 

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the differences between the US (92 Mins) and International version (94) min.  The editing of 2 minutes actually does away with some of the worst wooden acting (but of course not all) which gives the movie a slight (and I mean slight) more positive improvement. 

And what about John Barry's excellent score?  Say all the bad things you want about everything else, but Mr. Barry is in top form here.  I just picked up the Soundtrack on CD and love it to death!  I read the liner notes too and it appears that Barry was tricked into doing the score, with the filmakers leading him to believe the version he saw was a rough cut without all the full effects work completed. 

Caroline Munro still haunts my memories.  Having then just come off playing a Bond Girl in The Spy Who Loved Me, one can only wonder how differently her career would have gone, at the time, had she listened to 007 producer, Albert "Cubby" Broccoli, and moved to the states to make films in L.A. instead of staying in Europe?  She had a great figure but refused to do any nudity, which made her that much more respectful as a model/actress.  Yes, she definitely could act, and as another person pointed out, was dubbed for this movie.  Those Stella Star outfits were definitely stellar!

Well, Starcrash is now out of print on DVD.  Used copies are selling on eBay, so if you haven't gotten yours, that's the best place to find one.  The one released by SUBSTANCE is the 94 minute International version which has a Widescreen 1.85:1 aspect ratio (though the picture quality is very grainy) and even includes the original french theatrical trailer and photo gallery of lobby cards and poster artwork.  The other version I've seen is re-titled "Female Space Invaders," and is the 92 minute US version in Fullframe. 

BuySoundtrax.com (at the time of this posting) is selling the Starcrash Soundtrack on CD legitimately from their website: http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/storsobyjoba.html  It is limited to 1,500 copies.  So if you love the score like me, go pick it up fast! 

Here's hoping that Starcrash finds its way onto Blu-Ray someday, in a new and improved remastered edition with better picture and sound quality, and a host of extra bonus features, such as a audio commentary from anyone related to the film willing to record one (Munro or Hasselhoff would be a dream come true), and perhaps a "making of" documentary or featurette.   

"Go for Hyperspace!" - Stella Star
Phaux The Fox
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2009, 12:47:18 AM »

am i the only one that noticed in this picture http://www.badmovies.org/movies/starcrash/starcrash6.jpg
that all those outfits are different armor in Star Wars KoTOR
Flangepart

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »

Media Center Theater 3000...not bad.
How can a true mistie avoid the desire to riff like the masters? Not at all!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
RichXXIII
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2009, 10:45:48 AM »

I am embarrassed to admit that I like this movie on a non-ironic level. As a pre-teen, I developed this idiotic little boy crush on Caroline Munro after she had a swimsuit photo spread in some cheapo sci-fi magazine after she was in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, a Bond film and had just shot Starcrash. So, imagine my delight when this stinkbomb landed at my local movie theater. I saw it and not only loved seeing Caroline in it, but for some reason liked the cheapness of the special effects. I thought the multi-colored stars were especially inspired - like cheap Christmas lights.
And the movie had plenty of exposed female flesh, so I was doubly interested.
This movie's hard to find now (Netflix doesn't even have it!). I saw it about ten years ago on VHS and experienced a mixture of embarrassed revulsion and nostalgia and noted that Caroline Munro can still make my heart flutter, even in those stupid costumes and spouting horrid dialog.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Starcrash « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.