Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:24:23 AM
714329 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Krull « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Krull  (Read 89668 times)
LadyAri
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I've loved this movie since I was a little kid! Which was actually when it came out, lol. I Still love it, slightly cheesy effects and all! But those effects are what makes it such a great movie!!
Jim
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2005, 11:02:28 PM »

Just watched the DVD after 20 years,... great movie!
Austin
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Underrated in every sense of the word.  Probably my favorite movie of its genre.  Most people I've mentioned this movie to haven't even heard of it.  Some show a glimmer of recognition when I mention the flying-chinese-star-thing (how many people know what a glaive is?).  I still wanna know how he didn't burn his hand off when he reached in the lava to get it.
Sam
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I too loved this film, and try to watch it on a regular basis (I'll have to add the DVD to my want list). In answer to one of the questions on the review page (why does a galaxy-conquering army need horses?), think of the Beast and his army as a Lovecraftian supernatural horror that travels the stars, subjugating worlds with eldritch force, rather than a high-tech empire. Yes, the slayers carry "rifles", and bear a more-than-passing resemblance to stormtroopers, but that could be looked at as a superficial resemblance, or parallel evolution. This way, it becomes easier to explain how seers and wise men can hear of the beast (many of Lovecraft's monsters influenced the dreams of humans).
Colwyn
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2004, 08:28:52 PM »

Yes, my parents named me after the hero. I have loved this movie since before I was born in 1985; while the movie came out in 1983!
Per
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

One of my favorites! It's impossible to find it in video-hireing places nowadays -bad! It was hence about 5-10 years since I saw it. I'm thinking of buy it now so I can see it frequently.
Julio Roberts
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 09:34:25 AM »

Although STARWARS has been my favorite movie of that kind, I really find KRULL very entertaining. One of the things I’ll never forget about it is the FLYING STARSHAPED SWORD. “Kid, I’ve flown form one side of the galaxy to the other, and I’ve never seen anything like it”. Even today, I still wish I could have one of those.
Ergothemagnificent
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 07:20:20 PM »

Why does ergo like gooseberry pies so much?  
JR
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Didn't a cleaned up version of this come out in DVD?   If there is...I would get it.
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This movie had good action and plot. very enjoyable.
Shoebox
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Just great.  I watched this when I was a kid, and now I've watched it with my kids, and they really loved it!  They want FireMares to play with too.  
Wally
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 12:47:59 AM »

This was one of the first movies that I went to see with some friends and unsupervised by a grownup. Its been so long that I can't remember anything about the storyline. Thinking back, none of us knew what was going on while watching the film. A classic 80's dud, I must find a copy. Smile
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2007, 10:48:58 AM »

Krull is a very interesting film.  On some levels, I find it commendable that they were going for some original ideas, and it showed in a lot of spots.  On the other hand, I just couldn't get over some of the FX that didn't quite work out, such as Colwyn's confrontation with the beast. 

Plus the film's simplistic plot and it's run of the mill "Love conquers all" theme didn't help to hold my interest much in a lot of it.  It's a decent enough popcorn film, but I don't quite get what all the fuss is about.  And remember, I'm a child of the 80's as well.  The Glave was cool, no doubt, but you didn't see enough of it in action.  I spent the whole movie wondering when Colwyn was actually gonna use the damn thing, then he just pulled it out, cut through a wall, embedded the thing in the Beast's chest...and that was it. 

I do love the James Horner score though...I love hearing anything of his from before he started doing that boring, faux-celtic garbage in films like Titanic.  We need more rousing, bombastic film scores these days to cut through all the pop-inspired treacle, especially since Basil Poledouris is dead now (God, I miss him so much...  Bluesad  )
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »

Unlike Beastmaster and Conan, Krull just seems to come out of nowhere, a giant budget somehow drawn into the whirlpool generated by an insane orgy between a renaissance fair and a PBS period mystery series. So drama and DND geek at the same time.

I'd always watch it when it came on TV, fascinated by what I couldn't put into words as a kid, a movie that 'got made despite itself'.

Also one of the few fantasy/swashbucklers where more blood and boobies just wouldn't have fit.  Question

Worth watching, for better or worse.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2007, 08:38:58 AM »

The darn thing about this film is that you watch it. And you watch it. And you scratch your head. And you wonder why you like it. But, you do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Krull « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.