Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:22:39 PM
714372 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Blob « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Blob  (Read 77010 times)
Swamprat
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Classic "B" of the highest order. I don't know of anyone who doesn't remember this one fondly. She calls her car "Elvis" cause it "Shakes and shimmys but can really go."  Who ever wrote this thing had to have done some time somewhere as a gagman. The only hangup I've ever had about this film is Steve McQueen as a teenager...hard, very hard...but Hell! He's Steve McQueen, one of the coolest guys to ever leave a mark in American film. This was one of the few "B" horor movies of its time that seems to have had any real effort put into it. They didn't have much to work with but they did a damn good job with what they had...I love it when a film gives me that sort of feeling...no matter how "bad" the film itself might be. The Blob is not a "Bad" film...it's a fine little B monster movie that can certainly serve as an example of the genre when it's done well. If you ever get the chance to see it in a real theater be sure to check all the fire extinguishers...ya never know.
Rita Fetter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love The Blob, and live just a few miles from where it was filmed.

I'm looking for anyone who was around when the movie was made, either as extras or bystanders. I'd also like to hear from anyone who had relatives who were in the movie.

I have a Blob Site at:
http://theblobsite.150m.com

and I want to fill out my trivia section. I'd like to make it the authority on the making of the original film. I have the Criterion DVD, but would really prefer to hear some first or second hand stories.

Dr. Maniac's comments are wrong is a few details. The Downingtown Diner does *not* look like it did in the movie, and the Colonial Theater is not a multiplex.

--Rita
John
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The remake was 100% better! 'nuff said!
klas
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

the reason why every thing looks so brilliant and detailed during the night shots is that it was all shot in daylight (french night) where all ligthing are extra strong and cameras are coupled with special light deminishing filters.
George
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I was 9 years old and had a great time.

Picture the "Last Picture Show" town and theater, with three rows of kids complete with our Saturday Movies brown bag with grapes, apples, oranges, and plums.

The entertainment included the Blob, another equal "feature", several serials, and a half dozen cartoons for 25 cents.

What I remeber most of the picture was the cute girl in the row ahead of me that I had no clue how to communicate I thought she was cute, my horse riding buddies in line with me kidding about the film, and the manager, a man of saintly wisdom keeping the kids in line but happy with the event.

Steve McQueen turned out to be a truely great actor.

The blob was along the lines of the Creature of the Black Lagoon, the whole gang of kids, small town same kids, got to see at Church Youth Group on a Sunday night, only rather than the Saturday movie brown paper bag of fruit, we had coolaid and sugar cookies.

You would have to be a kid in the 50's in a small Texas town to get the great fun The Blob gave us, which was not about the movie but children growing up where you could go to any door in town and be welcome, and children got to be children without hinderances or fears.

That movie brings back to me very fond memories of America at its best.
Mark Spangler
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

What can I say.  This is THE classic.

A few neat tidbits... yes, that IS Helen Crump as Steve McQueen's sweetie.  She apparently moved on from here directly to Mayberry.  The title tune is not to be missed and everytime I pop in the video, my eight-year-old son rolls his eyes and sways when the chorus intones "ooooohhhh,
ohhhhh" like a passing European police siren.

Is it just me or does the blob, at times, resemble poop... I mean, it's a little red, like poop from a pup that has an intestinal bug, but poop none-the-less.

Watch the patrons running out of the "air conditioned" theatre.  They're LAUGHING.

How can I pay the prices TODAY that were advertised in the grocery store window THEN?  I like cheap watermelon.

Why are the firemen wearing white?  And I know they're supposed to remain calm, but when the "fallen electric line" bit didn't kill the blob all we get is a dead-pan "it didn't work."

Odd, the teenagers were the heroes here and the Chief of Police was not a bad guy.  Unusual for a 50's flick.  

Doesn't Steven McQueen bear a striking resemblence to STEVE McQueen from "The Great Escape",  "Bullit" and "Towering Inferno" fame.

GREAT FLICK... four kernals out of five! BEWARE OF THE BLOB WHEEEEE!
jazzman_2002us@yahoo.com
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2003, 03:30:18 PM »

I love this website. I also love the audio clips from the movie. I have loved this movie for the last 20 years and have seen over 8000 times, maybe even more. I know every piece of dialogue and every scene. Thank you for treating this classic with the respect that it deserves.
Steve
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This is THE prefect 50's Sci Fi monter movie. The plot is great, this was the first unstopable mindless creature from outrespace flic. The acting was great for this type of movie so what has anyone got to complain about?
night heron
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 09:14:28 PM »

IT CREEPS IT CRAWLS IT EATS YOU ALIVE  and the unforgetible theme song and the part when her little brother throws his gun at it and being trapped in the diner wow what a classic they could never remake it as good as it realy was
firebird
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »

I got this movie just a few months ago from a local second ahnd store for only $3:00 and its just great imagine old coot pokes small meteor with a stick and out comes THE BLOB
just me
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Gotta love the classics!
You gotta wonder how they created the blob though, and made it move.
Samantha
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I believe the remake belongs on this site.  The remake was possibly worse than the original.  I cannot the remake or the original were ever considered "horror."  
Sora the B-Movie Alchemist
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

A classic. The song was stuck in my head for a month (Arrrrgh! It came back!) And one comment I made in my Sci-Fi class summed up the last bit. "And then the blob ate the diner via osmosis"

And by the way, we all learned not to poke things with sticks.

Violence: *
Goofiness: *****
Monster: ***
Actors: *
Overall: ***
Carl Booth
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, the blob was the best actor in this film. It's too bad it didn't eat Janey's little brother.
giant Claw
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 12:01:37 AM »

BEWARE OF THE BLOB IT CREEPS AND GREEPS ACCROSS THE FLOOR A SPLOTCH A BLOTCH BECARFUL OF THE BLOB wow that was one of the best theme song to a montser movie everand i got it on VHS a few years ago at YARD SALE
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Blob « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.