Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:26:53 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Trial of Billy Jack « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Trial of Billy Jack  (Read 68038 times)
Jacknotbilly
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Well, I spent the afternoon watching the very move that the omnipotent They would not allow to be shown or distributed: Billy Jack Goes to Washington.

It's a very poor imitation of the Frank Capra classic MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON.

E. G. Marshall's performance brightens up the movie just as flowers brighten up a sickroom.

Question: If BJ had wound up owning these 400 acres originally intended for a nuclear power plant (i/o a camp), by that very fact they used forged documents to give it to him he could has simply STOPPED the building o the nuke plant! Nobody but me noticed this inconsistency.

No, this movie is just another platform for Laughlin to agitate for laws passed in an extra-Constitutional manner--in the movie by national initiatives and referenda (which would mean ZILCH at law, even this may be a good idea), or now (according to his site) having "televised citizens' hearings" to impeach Bush and Cheney (even though the Constitution is VERY specific about such impeachments must originate in the House before they are tried by the Senate).

But hey! It's just the US Constitution, that's all!

What's LAW and LEGAL PROCESS got to do with it?
Eric Cartman
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Billy Jack movies are all a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap! Goddamn hippies... where's Hitler when you need him? Heil Dubya! I'm gonna join the Marines, too, and kick some overseas hippie ass!
Ken Begg
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I might push my ideology a bit (especially when reviewing a film like this), but I am generally at pains to point out instances where a sane liberal might actually have made a valid point, in contrast to Laughlin's admittedly fun nutbaggery.

I'm not offended, but I do think there's little that is "lacking in both Mr. Laughlin and Mr. Begg."  
In fact, much of my broader point in the review is that whatever side of the aisle one is on, one is probably aghast at incidents like Kent State, and also aghast at attempts to blow it further out of proportion in support of some rather dubious political assertions.
Wah?
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I'm always amused when I read people making broad, bashing statements about liberals...or even conservatives, for that matter. Has it ever occured to anyone that, sometimes, liberals are correct, and sometimes conservatives are correct? The true wisdom (which would appear to be lacking in both Mr. Laughlin and Mr. Begg*) is in being able to discern the circumstanceds when one or the other stance should be supported.

I consider myself an 'open-minded' liberal. If I didn't know better, I'd almost think this movie was made by the so-called 'establishment' just to embarrass those who would disagree with them.

*I admit that I might be off-base here, as I don't really know much about the political or philosophical leanings of Mr. Begg (just what I read here), and I apologize in advance if I offend.
Barfing
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Why is it that liberals are thoroughly bent on revising history?  Oh yeah, I forgot - the only thing that validates their way of thinking is fantasy.

What a blessing that more Billy Jerk movies didn't ooze out.
George
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Ok I was still a bouncer at the drive in when this second one came out and unlike the first one which was just bad, but strange bad,

this sequel was so offensive I actually did my rounds, changed the sign out front, caught some guys coming in the exit, hung out at the popcorn stand, and even had to brandish my 6 D cell flash light club like, perhaps they had been offended by the film also, to get them to leave.

I recall nothing more than the film actually made me angry with the syrup like doctrines it was trying to sell.

Nausea, is my best recollection.  Once ok, a second round? Yuck!
hanelpanel
New Visitor

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 12:46:48 AM »

"Feed a fever and starve a cold, but buckshot must be sweated out!!" Wow!

Hilarious, dude.
Greenhornet
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 01:15:09 PM »

Kent State was not "a violent mob".  It was college students going between classes, being mistaken for a mob by panicky National Guardsmen (at least the ones who weren't looking for an excuse to take students down).
the National Guard had been called in because THE RIOTERS had lotted and vandalized the town. The Guardsmen had faced down THE MOB --many of whom had been brought in FROM OTHER STATES-- but were ordered to fall back. When the RIOTERS saw this, some of them started throwing rocks and a few of the solders turned and fired, starting the incident.

These COMMUNIST-BACKED rioters kept the Viet Nam war going for years, just like their sons and daughters are doing in THIS war!
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 11:18:01 PM »

Yea, I didn't care for it either.  I really don't like the government too much at all.  I'm more in the middle.
Hally Luyah
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 12:50:41 AM »

This was a great read. I agrew with most of what he says, but disagree a little with the level of seriousness with which the movie is taken by both the reviewer and the commenters. Billy Jack and Trial of Billy Jack are camp classics, repeatedly unintentionally hilarious. Nothing more. They're politically weird to be sure, but so is just about any movie of its ilk from any era (whether it is conservative or liberal in tone) -- which is part of the fun.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 08:09:14 PM »

My main reason for watching it was that the Late Master Bong Soo Han being in there. 
William in DC
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 10:35:27 PM »

BounceGiggle

I'm utterly amazed that a movie I watched AT THE THEATER more times than I've seen any other movie in history (8 if I recall correctly in my old age) is so deplored.  It was a great and classic flick!  Enjoyable for what it was.  I have been looking for Billy Jack Goes to Washington and have never found it.

So before anyone labels me as a liberal, I voted for Richard Nixon the first time I could vote (and hey, McGovern?  Endorsed by the Viet Cong for President?  While my Dad was serving in the 1st Air CAV and 101st Airborne and I was getting ready to go?)

I served as a conservative servant of the people for many years and know that the power of government is not benign.  Hey, was the movie full of ideologically unworkable mush?  Yep.  Was it great anyway?  Yep.

And for those who don't know, there are only 4 anthrax programs in the entire world.  US, Russia, China, Iraq.  Yep, only 4.  Army taught me that.  Multi-million dollar milling machines, stuff ground to one micron, surficant that we'd never seen before, 6 vials of white powder delivered to Mohammed Ata in Bulgaria by an Iraqi diplomate, that was a strain we sold to Iran in 1956 for research.  Yep.  Another brief case full of the stuff tracked from the Middle East that some moron courier earned himself a Darwin award for opening when we found his dead body in his cabin in the Panama Canal.  Yep.  So our Capitol was hit with Iraqi anthrax.  Yep, the FBI are morons, but what else is new?  So we are in Iraq justifiably.

Remember that the power of government is not benign.  That is one of those clear lessons I learned from years of serving in the legislative branch, so no, I was never a faceless bureaucrat.  They serve in alphabet agencies.

So, enjoy Billy Jack for what it is, a big-guy/little-guy saga where the little guy sort of wins.  Delores had a head full of mush, probably from smoking too much of something.  A friend asked why one of my college professors loved the 60s so much and were they really so great.  I told him, "Nope, but Dr. xxxx wouldn't know because he was high the whole time."  Enjoy.  You don't have to be a liberal to enjoy Billy Jack. 
John Dashwood
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »

Got any proof for your claims? Links? Just curious.
Surveysamm
New Visitor

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »

TOBJ is overlong but it has some good moments. Big Wet, as for why the US took Iraq under Saddam---he was a murderer of over a million and a half people and in 1994 (three years after Desert Storm) he tried to reinvade but Clinton stopped him cold (this invasion attempt of Saddam's is mentioned in the 2008 New York Times Almanac in the Kuwait section).
Kyo
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 03:26:35 AM »

I didn't know hippies were still such a hot topic in the U.S.

One thing I think people should keep in mind about Billy Jack movies is that those are propaganda movies. Billy Jack's in the same league as The Green Berets, Red Nightmare and The Fall of Berlin. Thus, its biased depiction of actual events is partly intentional and expectable. On the other hand, propaganda movies made by ham-fisted people tend to be exceptionnaly bad. Every filmaker can't be as talented as Eisenstein.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Trial of Billy Jack « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.