Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:23:02 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146
Author Topic: World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE)  (Read 745666 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2145 on: August 28, 2023, 04:24:50 PM »

We watched Saturday night's 'Collision' before the 'All In' event from London. It was interesting to hear the boo's drowning out the cheers for the first one whenever CM Punk stepped in the ring. I couldn't tell which reaction was more dominant during the PPV. It didn't come as any surprise when I heard that Punk had been involved in an altercation (yet again) with another wrestler (Jack (Luke's son) Perry) prior to 'All In'. While I am not privy to what is happening back stage, the more of these things happen the more my thinking moves towards Punk being the problem.
From what I've heard, Jack wanted to do a spot in a match a week or two ago on Collision, featuring the use of real glass, and executives said "No." They wanted candy glass, like the type used in film. They argued with Jack, and Punk was asked to talk to Perry as the locker room leader. Punk agreed with management, as using real glass can be dangerous (severed arteries, etc). Perry was upset and felt they and Punk were wrong and "old school."

Then at All In, as Punk was about to have a match, Perry alluded to "Real Glass" within earshot of Punk, who got hot.

Granted Punk shouldn't have had an altercation with him over it, when the owners and executives day no to something, take it at that. Also, real glass for a wrestling match is dumb.

The Bucks, Perry, Page, not a fan. They're the worst.

Fact is, Punk is a draw and the biggest one they have. In terms of ratings and merch sales and the like. The network studies the numbers of ratings and even YouTube views. Punk generally has the upper hand there. Why get rid of him? He's been right.

Big draw wrestlers have been kicked out before when their behaviour ended up causing more problems than they were worth. His problems go way beyond the Bucks, Perry and Page to the point where a substantial part of the locker room refuse to work with him (Chris Jericho and the BCC are also in that bracket, but there are others too). He seems to be constantly involved in some new drama with a new wrestler every week. Maybe that is a storyline, but if it isn't then the guy is toxic and someone acting that way could do a lot of damage to an entire promotion. Why get rid of him? Plenty of reasons and justifications. You need more than one guy to make a promotion and the way he is going they are going to run out of talent willing to work with him. If he alienates himself from all his co-workers then what use is he? Ever worked with someone who just constantly causes and is the centre of problems? I have and it doesn't matter how productive they are, or how much money they make. Eventually everyone else is happy to see then go.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2146 on: August 28, 2023, 05:35:11 PM »

I mean, WWE did let him go and they survived, so I can see your point there.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2147 on: August 29, 2023, 02:26:19 AM »

It could all just be a work designed to generate heat. It is an industry designed around smoke and mirrors after all.

When he came to AEW I'd heard his pipe bomb promo and that he'd left WWE on bad terms, but he was pretty much an unknown factor for me. Initially, he seemed to be quite charismatic and a decent worker in the ring. He got a good storyline with the company's top heel, but after an initial settling-in period he just seems to be embroiled in backstage scandal after scandal and it is interfering with the on-screen product. Imagine if he and Perry had really started a big fight minutes before the biggest event the company has had was due to start and he'd been unable to wrestle (rumours, and I repeat that these are only rumours at the moment is that he initially was going to refuse to come out for the opening match). Accounts from witnesses are Punk threw the first punch. He might want to be a locker room leader (and I agree that going through a real glass window is stupid, but the reports are that he accused Jack Perry of wanting to do it so he would get injured and get out of working the next week in something that Punk wanted him to do. AEW seems to be take a fair bit from the Attitude era and ECW (not quite as extreme, but it is in that direction), so the guys do stupid stunts and injuries are common), but thus far his actions have been quite the opposite.

When he is in the ring he is fun and engaging (although his last three matches, two with Samoa Joe and and a four-aside tag team match have been subpar), but outside of it, he is increasingly coming off as a spoiled manchild who throws a tantrum when he doesn't get his own way.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:15:00 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2148 on: August 29, 2023, 09:27:51 AM »

Punk as a person seems very mixed. He's straight edge, which says a lot. But one of his best friends is Joey Mercury, a wrestler with a laundry list of addictions. Mercury got fired from WWE and came close to losing his house, and Punk bought the house so he wouldn't be homeless, and then got Mercury rehired at WWE.

Punk and Colt Cabana were friends. Both got sued for defamation by WWE for a podcast. Punk paid for the lawyers for him and Cabana, then stuff happened between both guys. There were depositions and a lawsuit between Punk and Cabana. It came to light that Cabana shared a bank account with his mother, tons of stuff.

I like Punk in the ring, on the microphone, but he is a bit toxic, but also goes above and beyond where needed. I dunno.

But I've also been a fan of his since Ring of Honor, CZW, etc. His run with the Straight Edge Society on Smackdown was superb. He was the straight edge Jesus and he had followers. People HATED him.  BounceGiggle

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2149 on: August 29, 2023, 10:44:36 AM »

Did he have the same level of backstage issues in his pre-WWE days? (Genuine question, I have no idea).

Right now he is coming off as the person who complains about all the drama in a workplace, but is also the person causing it. It could be other people in the company are against him and have some vendetta. Maybe they feel him coming in was taking the spotlight away from the ones who founded the company and put in all the hard work, but right now to me (admittedly on the outside), he just seems like a wrecking ball. I'd love to see him just turn up, do his stuff then go home without all the extra crap.

They've given him his own show where he gets to pick the people he works with and doesn't have to deal with the ones he has a problem with and he still can't get along with just those people. They've had to bring Samoa Joe back across from Ring of Honor because the only ones I know of who are happy to work with Punk is him and FTR. Most of the other big names in the company have publically refused to wrestle with him. Puts him in a place where either they bring in outside talent to wrestle him, or he faces mid and lower carders. The guy is what 46, 47? How much time does he has left as a top draw and is that worth the other guys who might leave because of him (if he stays that is, or doesn't get fired).

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2150 on: September 02, 2023, 05:28:19 PM »

It is official. After a week-long investigation, it was recommended that Punk be fired with cause. Tony Khan issued a statement that he has been fired.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2151 on: September 03, 2023, 05:34:21 AM »

Figured it was gonna happen what with all the backstage issues.

I'm a huge fan of his, but it's sad this is how this run went.

I'd day he's done with wrestling unless he goes to Japan. I can't see him calling Triple H about a return. Unless his buddy Randy Orton or Kofi Kingston step in.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2152 on: September 03, 2023, 09:32:21 AM »

He recently visited a WWE show backstage and was kicked out of the building on orders from McMahon. Given the people Vince has build bridges with in the past, that speaks volumes about the bad blood between them I guess. Word is that after his fight with Jack Perry, he then went looking for Tony Khan and tried to hit him, or lunged at him, knocking a stack on monitors over onto his boss.

I can't imagine many organisations being able to afford the kind of money Punk is worth. As you say, maybe Japan. Honestly though, I think his wrestling career is over.

bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2153 on: September 03, 2023, 09:34:56 AM »

it's pretty amazing how Punk is now effectively blackballed from the 2 biggest promotions in the U.S.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2154 on: October 07, 2023, 08:23:56 AM »

Rumour has it that Punk will return to the WWE for Survivors Series in Chicago.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2155 on: October 12, 2023, 12:49:44 PM »

The rumours are now saying that WWE seriously considered the pro's and con's of having Punk back and after protests from the talent and a video going around showing Punk's behaviour around his fellow wrestlers, decided against it. It will be interesting to see which way is actually goes come Survivors Series.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2156 on: October 12, 2023, 02:52:00 PM »

While I doubt Punk does go back to WWE, they also said Bruno Sammartino and Ultimate Warrior would never do business with them again, and both came back for Legends deals.

Not sure who's running the company after its sale, but they'd be an idiot to not make it work.

I've heard he has had problems with Rollins and Roman Reigns. Simple, sit all three in a room, have them air their grievances, be men and go make money

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2157 on: October 12, 2023, 02:53:37 PM »

According to the Dirt Sheets, Vince is being pressured into selling his controlling stake in the business and Triple H is running things.

I guess management would also be considering that he seemingly threatened his previous boss to the point where he was frightened for his own personal safety.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 03:40:04 PM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2158 on: October 30, 2023, 10:56:14 AM »

You still might get to see Punk perform. He is said to have been seen backstage at Impact Wrestling and a representative of the promotion has said that they'd be excited to work with him. I'd imagine he'd have to take a hefty pay cut.

It does make me wonder though, given the problems they've had with other wrestlers and then had them back to work with just how bad were things with Punk that even the thought of the money they could make with him isn't enough for them to let bygones be bygones?

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2159 on: November 03, 2023, 10:21:14 AM »

You still might get to see Punk perform. He is said to have been seen backstage at Impact Wrestling and a representative of the promotion has said that they'd be excited to work with him. I'd imagine he'd have to take a hefty pay cut.

It does make me wonder though, given the problems they've had with other wrestlers and then had them back to work with just how bad were things with Punk that even the thought of the money they could make with him isn't enough for them to let bygones be bygones?
Tony Kahn does seem to be heavily influenced by his friends. Granted, I can't speak on how threatened he really did feel.

As for Punk, Impact is rebranding itself as TNA agsin, and Punk wrestled there previously. I feel ownership really wants to make a go of it. Punk may be willing to take a pay cut if he's given creative leeway and possible profit points or a raise down the line.

Also, Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins announced his company, NWA, signed a tv deal with The CW. The CW may be willing to throw money at Punk to get him on board.

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.