Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:46 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just saw GRINDHOUSE. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Just saw GRINDHOUSE.  (Read 28943 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »

By the way...
What was Stuntman Mike's hood ornament on his car?

I couldn't quite make it out each time they showed it.
My friend said it was a duck.
Was it?

Yea, i thin kit wa s a duck.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 11:10:18 PM »

I think this thread should probablly be in the "Good Movies" section. Even though the movies are portrayed as B-movies they most certainly aren't. I think I heard the budget for both films was approx. 55 million dollars. Now we all know part of the reason a lot of those movies we love looked so bad and half-realized, was because they simply couldnt afford to achieve their directors visions. In this case Tarantino and Rodriguez spend a boat load of money to emulate having no money...kinda weird. What this all equates to is...A great movie experience. Planet Terror is so insanely cool in all aspects. Death Proof is pretty good, but was bogged down by all the female dialogue filled with "normal" minutia. Rest assured, it will not disapoint.
I have yet to see GRINDHOUSE, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY karma!   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 12:59:49 AM »

Here's an interesting little screenshot I grabbed from the DVD of Death Proof...just before the opening title saying "Death Proof", for a tiny milli-second another title flashes up... you can hardly notice it watching in real-time but when I freeze-framed it I got this:

not sure what the relevance of this could be but it's kind of interesting, anyway. :edit: apparently I'm the billionth person on the net to notice this. turns out it was the working title for the film.

As for "deliberate" mistakes in Death Proof how about when the main girl in the first half repeatedly mentions the band Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, MITCH, and Tich... it's should actually be MICK and Tich...this seems a little too subtle/off the wall to be a deliberate error, I think they may have genuinely f-'ed up there IMO.

Overall I thought the first half of Death Proof was classic Tarrantino, but after the first crash the second lot of girl characters are unbelievably annoying and the film just drags...as for Planet Terror I don't share everyone else's enthusiasm about this, I thought it was over indulgent and repetetive...

For me the highlight of the entire Grindhouse production was definitely the fake trailers, esp. ThanksGiving and Machete... I thought these seriously rocked.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:10:41 AM by depressed crack addict » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 10:21:41 AM »

not sure what the relevance of this could be but it's kind of interesting, anyway. :edit: apparently I'm the billionth person on the net to notice this. turns out it was the working title for the film.
If you want to get technical, it's an exploitation in-joke.  I used to have a lot of VHS boots of various movies with different names according to the market they were released in.  A couple of Jess Franco movies in my possession actually did that where the original title was on screen for a split second before some crappy title card was savagely inserted in its place.  I also had a couple of Indonesian movies where rather than just edit the title card into the movie, you actually saw someone's hand place a new card in front of the old one.

As for your take on Death Proof, I am the complete opposite.  If there was one thing that movie needed cut it was the entire build up to the first crash.  Part of my problem with Tarantino these days is that all of his dialog scenes give me the impression that he spends the entire writing process patting himself on the back for being what he thinks is so clever.  His talking scenes are so awkward that none of it ever comes across like natural conversation to me.  No one talks like the people in his movies do.  Once the first wreck is over, that movie picks up considerably.  There had to be a better way to introduce Stuntman Mike.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »

okay, thanks for clearing up that 'in-joke' stuff with the titles... that thing with the cards kind of sounds familiar, I think I may have seen one film that did this as well, can't remember exactly...

Part of my problem with Tarantino these days is that all of his dialog scenes give me the impression that he spends the entire writing process patting himself on the back for being what he thinks is so clever. 

Even if you think the opposite about Death Proof, I definitely agree with you about this. you can almost visualise Tarantino ticking off 'cool reference' boxes in his head while he's writing the script, but at the same time I kind of like that approach, because to me the dialogue is so blatantly unreal it becomes surreal (if that makes any sense).

Torgo

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 11:58:01 AM »

I can't wait for the Death Proof DVD. I think that Death Proof was one of Quentin's best things along with Kill Bill Vol. 2  (yeah, yeah, I know that technically Kill Bill is one giant movie but Vol. 2 was better IMO).

But at the same time I can understand how someone could not like it.  As for which one I would watch more when I have both of them on DVD I can definitely say Death Proof as Planet Terror doesn't have anything going on beneath the surface even though it was a lot of fun.  Seeing Michael Biehn getting used properly again is always a treat as he's a fantastic actor.  He needs to hook up with James Cameron again at some point.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »

at the same time I kind of like that approach, because to me the dialogue is so blatantly unreal it becomes surreal (if that makes any sense).
Yeah, I get that.  I think that appeals to his wider audience and I'm just on the outside.  I feel the same way about Kevin Smith because his writing is similar to QT's where it's so wordy and has an intended rhythm but his actors have real difficulty performing what's on the page.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

yeah agree Kevin Smith does that. I liked Clerks but in something like Dogma it's just too 'clever'. they sound like they're on autopilot trying to pronounce each word properly, lol

I can't wait for the Death Proof DVD.

oops. didn't know it wasn't out yet. my friend lent me a burned copy   Buggedout hence I managed to get that screen-grab...

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2007, 02:57:55 PM »

that's strange. Ive just read the TV listings and in one hour's time quentin tarantino is guesting on the jonathan ross show to discuss Death Proof! I don't expect you guys are in the uk though. if he says anything worth adding to thee thread I'll post it up afterwards.

HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »

Anyone here see this with a girl, or speak with a girl who also thought 'Death Proof' was boring/annoying?

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 04:20:38 PM »

i saw it with my girl and she loved it.
Jim H

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »

I agree with alot of the people on here. DEATH PROOF didnt seem much different that any of his other movies. It might as well have been KILL BILL or PULP FICTION in it's place. Did NOT seem like an exploitation film at all. I actually found myself banging the back of my head against my chair durring all the girl talk parts, which were PONTLESS by the way. They didnt seem to go anywhere. HUGE dissipointment. But PLANET TERROR alone was well worth the admission fee. The trailers and vintage warning signals were great too.

And did anyone else notice that DEATH PROOF had a loose end? Whatever happened to that girl that they left with the guy who owned the car?

The character is the same character (Quentin mentioned it somewhere, as I recall) who was going to rape the Bride while she was comatose in Kill Bill.  So, it may not be looking too good for her.

On the note of the trailers...  The creator of this one posted it here before, but it won the SXSW contest held by Rob Rodriguez and apparently will be featured on the Grindhouse DVD (which won't be coming out til June 2008!  Yeesh.).  It's more accurate to the feel of grindhouse movies than the normal ones (which I quite enjoyed, don't get me wrong), so I give him props for that. 

Small | Large

Hobo With a Shotgun.
Torgo

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »

oops. didn't know it wasn't out yet. my friend lent me a burned copy   Buggedout hence I managed to get that screen-grab...

and I hope that you're going to buy the official DVD on Tuesday?   Wink

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »

and I hope that you're going to buy the official DVD on Tuesday?   Wink

If that's when it's released here as well, then yeah...I have no pirated DVDs in my collection, Im proud to say.

...by the way I just saw that TV interview, and that's one of the most awkward interviews I've ever seen! Tarantino kept telling these wild anecdotes talking about 1000 words per minute, doing big hand gestures but the audience wasn't buying it at all. there were big silences when you could tell he was waiting for a laugh. the interviewer (jonathan ross) kept having to change the subject. I've lost a bit of respect for Tarantino, he comes aross like a hyperactive 13yr old. never seen an interview before, is he always like that?? didn't say anything that interesting about D/P either... Thumbdown

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 05:11:06 PM by depressed crack addict » Logged

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 10:20:52 PM »

...by the way I just saw that TV interview, and that's one of the most awkward interviews I've ever seen! Tarantino kept telling these wild anecdotes talking about 1000 words per minute, doing big hand gestures but the audience wasn't buying it at all. there were big silences when you could tell he was waiting for a laugh. the interviewer (jonathan ross) kept having to change the subject. I've lost a bit of respect for Tarantino, he comes aross like a hyperactive 13yr old. never seen an interview before, is he always like that?? didn't say anything that interesting about D/P either... Thumbdown

Ive noticed that about him. Kind of a reeely anoying version of Steven Speilberg, which whom i also understand has the mind of a child.

And MAN-O-MAN am I ever p**sED about them splitting grindhouse into 2 seperate dvds. Not that i was that big of a fan of DEATH PROOF but its the feel of an old "2 movies for 1!" deal, ya know what i mean? I wont be buying either dvd, despite my love for PLANET TERROR unless they decide to stop being jerkbags and release the whole movie on 1 dvd. (F**King Weinstein.) 

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just saw GRINDHOUSE. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.