Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:34:31 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  TV series I watched on DVD in the last 6 months « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: TV series I watched on DVD in the last 6 months  (Read 13905 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: June 02, 2007, 06:24:22 PM »

Space: Above and Beyond - Fox - 1995-1996

A squadron of Marine space pilots fight and alien adversary whose space we invaded.

I thought this was cool show for the most part (I had some problems with the way they portrayed the Marines.)

Fox canceled it after one year.

Babylon 5 - Warner Brothers Syndicated  1994-1999

JMS's novel for television is one of the best Science Fiction stories ever to grace the small screen.

The show was so great, especially for being made on the cheap.  Some of the actors should've been winning Emmies (especially Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas )

The show did win one Emmy for makeup. It also won 3 Hugo awards and was nominated for a fourth.  JMS won the Bradbury Award for writing.

When WB was going to drop the show after season four, TNT picked it up and payed for the fifth season.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Paramount Syndicated   1993 - 1999

The best of all the modern Treks in my opinion. Some people claimed it wasn't Star Trek because it often cast a skeptical eye at Roddenberry's Utopian Federation.

Featured at least a dozen recurring characters (some of which were more interesting than some of the regulars).  It had strong women characters and actually gave them a lot to do.

Like Babylon 5 it is serial in nature and you can't get a feel for the show unless you watch it all (especially seasons 4-7)

Robocop: The Series  Syndicated   1994

This series was cancelled after one year for a couple of reasons, Robocop movie fans didn't like the lack of graphic violence and parents probably kept their kids from watching because the movies were so violent.

Robocop has to come up with some interesting ways to immobilize his suspects, since he doesn't kill anyone during the 23 show run of the series.  The bad guys usually end up in the Henry Ford Center for the Morally Challenged.

The show does a lot of social satire and features commercials with OCP's cartoon mascot Commander Cash.

I enjoyed it when it was first on and had to hunt up the DVD's because it was only released in Region 2. If you want to know some more check out the link.

http://www.robocoparchive.com/series/series.htm

The Venture Brothers -  Cartoon Network - 2004-2006

Jonny Quest with a twist (a big one).  I love Brock Sampson!

The show follows the misadventures of Dr. Thaddeus Venture, his boys Hank and Dean, and body guard Brock Sampson. 

I've got Seasons 1 & 2, and Cartoon Network has renewed it for two more seasons.

Check it out if you dare.

The Invisible Man - SciFi Channel  2000-2002

I remember when they proposed this series, I let out a groan.  Boy, was I wrong.

This is another hard one to find, so don't ask how I got it.  I've only gotten through 8 episodes so far, I'll report back when I'm finished.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »

Brock Sampson is a GOD !  I love The Venture Brothers, but some of my friends think I'm insane for liking it.  I think you had to really enjoy the old Johnny Quest to understand the satire.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »

I liked The Invisible Man, I only wish they had a little bigger budget so they could have broadened the scope of the show a little more. But what they did with the tired old reluctant secret agent with a super power idea was very well done.

I'm most of the way through season two of The Venture Bros. I still like it and am glad to see that it pays to have seen earlier episodes as old characters return. Although some episodes have the feel of just trying to turn first season stories on their heads. Hate the commentaries I've listened to so far, I'm sure they were fun to do, but no real insight or information, just the creators talking way too inside most of the time. The satire of geek culture and action show cliches is very clever. I hate the overuse of "deconstruction of the genre" but they really nail it with this one, and still get the laughs. Like what the personal lives of the various characters are "really" like, or the entertaining mess that is the Monarch. I actually like it in those rare moments when he gets to act like the villain he thinks he is.

Other shows I've seen on DVD lately:
Extras - so funny I wish there were more to it.
Deadwood - can't wait for Season 3 on disc.
Ironside - Season One Vol. One - I like these old formulaic cop shows.
I tried Prison Break and got bored after four episodes.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
byanychance
New Visitor

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 07:18:24 AM »

Xena: Warrior Princess (Season One)

hot
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:46:08 AM »

I've been meaning to pick up Babylon 5 on DVD.  I watched the whole series about 5 times so I needed a little break before I saw it again.  Definitely my favorite sci-fi show of all time (well, that and the original Battlestar Galactica).  I see they're also making new movies of some sort, you can pre-order one on Amazon.

Been meaning to buy some Star Trek Enterprise DVD's, that was my favorite spin-off by a wide margin.  I watch it every Monday night on Sci-Fi and it's about the only show I actually make a point of watching.  Too bad they want around $100 a season.

I've been watching Dark Shadows on DVD, 2 episodes a night every night.  I've got sets 5 - 20 now, with 40 episodes a set.  It's a Gothic soap opera from the late '60s - early '70s, with vampires, witches and werewolves.  Great atmosphere and really well written, deep characters.  Though the fact that it was filmed live means you get quite a few flubbed lines, but that's part of the charm.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 02:43:04 AM »

Wild Wild West seasons 1 and 2
Professor Brian Oblivion
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »

Firefly, Crime Story season 1 and 2 and House M.D. Season 1 and 2.
nada
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 03:48:24 AM »

I've been watching Life on Mars. Great show! I like when a series has a definite ending rather then being cancelled or just dragging on for the hell of it. Apparently a US version is being made soon.
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:53:23 PM »

I've got Seinfeld (Seasons 1-7),  South Park (seasons 1-9), Family Guy (volumes 1-4), The Simpsons (seasons 1-8), Futurama (volumes 1-4), Space Ghost: Coast to Coast (volumes 1-3) and Samurai Jack (seasons 1-3) on DVD.

I watch those pretty regularly.

I'm going to be picking up Season 8 of Seinfeld, 10 of South Park and 9 & 10 of The Simpsons this summer/fall.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 09:54:13 PM »

Oh yeah, I've also got all 3 volumes of Invader Zim on DVD as well.  A very underrated show IMO.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »

I just saw The Ghostbusters on DVD. Not the "Real" Ghostbusters, these guys:

I remember liking this one better than "Real" Ghostbusters because it was nothing like the movie (which I was obsessed with when until 2nd grade). I had all the toys, because again I was obsessed with the movie, but the "fake" show was a lot more fun.

Anyway, I rediscovered Harvey Birdman and because of that I also pop in Aqua Teen Hunger Force. South Park is a constant because it is the greatest television show in the history of time. I don't own live action besides Pee-Wee's Playhouse which can only count as a half, and Dr. Who (strictly Tom Baker. The only other Dr. I can stand is Peter Davidson).

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 12:12:20 AM »

Jeremiah
Firefly
Farscape (this past winter watched the complete run)

Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 12:26:19 PM »

I'm working my way through Homicide: Life On The Street and (somewhat erratically) Farscape as of late.  Slow going...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 03:19:19 PM »

I watched the first season of HBO's ROME on DVD because I'm too cheap to spring for HBO.  I loved it; it is one of the most historically accurate depictions of Roman history ever filmed, and Julius Caesar is one of my favorite characters in history - he was far greater than any of the petty little men who murdered him.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
madbliza
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »

Newsradio - although getting through the fifth season is tough without Phil Hartman.

Full Metal Alchemist - finally got the movie to "sorta" end the series.

Stargate SG-1 - My ole lady loves this show and as the poor misfortune of sharing a living space with her, I am forced to view these.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  TV series I watched on DVD in the last 6 months « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.