Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:19:58 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  My Anime « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Anime  (Read 11565 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 19, 2007, 12:02:25 PM »

This is a list of all the anime I am currently into; if you want to know more about a show posted or you see something not on here that I should be watching, let me know.

Inuyasha
A girl falls down a well and finds herself in the feudal era of Japan; together with a half demon, a demon hunter, a lecherous monk and others, she must track down shards of a powerful jewel.

Paranoia Agent
A character designer and others are mysteriously attacked by a bat wielding 12 year old on roller skates, and the case must be solved before chaos breaks loose.

Revolutionary Girl Utena
After the death of her parents, a young girl is comforted by a noble prince...which makes her want to become a prince herself. She becomes enrolled in a mysterious school where she unwittingly finds herself in a contest of swords for the hand of the rose bride.

Naruto
Carrying inside him the spirit of the nine-tailed fox, Naruto Uzumaki must prove his skills to the world and become chief hokage.

Fullmetal Alchemist
Ed and Al, boy-genius alchemists, screw up an attempt to bring their dead mother back from the grave. In order to fix their maimed bodies, they must seek out the legendary philosipher's stone.

Read Or Die
A nerdy secret agent with the power to control paper must help the government hunt down stolen books before an evil force uses them for evil ends.

Maburaho
A teen wizard with lousy skills but great DNA is stalked by a trio of buxom witches who want to have his baby.

Genshiken
An anime series about the lives of Japanese anime fanatics.

MORE TO COME...

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »

I lost several years of my life to anime.  It was horrible.  Endless series and bootlegs and fansubs...  My girlfriend and I decided enough was enough and we cut out, cold turkey.  Smile  I never quite recovered...

That being said, allow me to enable your addiction:

Otaku No Video is a must for any anime fan.  It'll definitely help put some perspective into your obsession.

Ranma½ is one of my favorites.  Ranma and his dad fall into cursed springs on a martial arts training expedition.  The result is that when splashed with cold water they become a girl and a panda respectively.  Warm water returns them to their normal selves.  Many other characters share similar afflictions (ducks, pigs, frogs, etc).  The setups are ridiculous but always entertaining.

Neon Genesis: Evangelion is sort of action, sort of horror, but definitely among the stranger and psychologically subtle titles.  In short, the earth is under attack by supermonsters called Angels.  Mankind's only hope lies in the special skills of a few children who can pilot man-made supermonster machines.  Be sure to check out End of Evangelion: a horribly bloody and supremely appropriate conclusion to the series.

Lain is a really interesting series about a girl who loses herself in the internet... think obsessive blogging taken too far.

++josh;
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »

Otaku No Video is a must for any anime fan.  It'll definitely help put some perspective into your obsession.

Oh, good choice.  I am certain that I had a LD of this (it could have been VHS, but most of the AnimEigo titles I had that were really good were LD), but have not been able to find it.  I'm afraid that it was probably lost in our one bad military move.  I know that they lost 2 boxes of movies (or so), but most were from the b-movie collection.  Losing that one is a real shame.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:29:25 PM »

I wanted to see that...I have an anime guide with pics from that, but I wasnt sure if it was still available anywhere. I forgot about Ranma 1/2. Awesome show but I havent seen it in a while. Also forgot to add Case Closed (I dont know how I forgot that, Its a favorite) and Shin-Chan, which I discovered on Adult swim.

Case Closed
A world famous teen detective is given an experimental poison that causes him to revert into the form of a child. In order to solve crimes, he has to tag along with his girlfriend and her alchoholic detective father, and use specially made gadgets to hide his secret identity.

Shin-Chan
A potty-mouthed five year old gets into trouble and ponders the meaning of life while his parents do what they can to get by. Not for the easily offended.

Desert Punk
A bounty hunter roams the sands of a desolate world in search of cash and booty.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:33:14 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
dean

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 04:51:47 AM »

Me, I'm a massive anime fan, but just haven't had the time to explore any new series.  The last [part] series I saw was Gantz which both grated my nerves and interested me, based on the 'onion' type character that is the first hunt.  Plus it's an interesting concept.

The basics are: People who have died have somehow been saved by a mysterious ball which has an odd sense of humour and gets them to hunt aliens.  If the target isn't killed in the amount of time required, all of them go back to being dead, but if they achieve their goal they get to live till the next time they're called.

Brutal, odd and not overly reccommended, but I think the first one disc at least is worth a watch based on the "Green Onions" Alien moment which was very wierd.

Other than that, the last series I obsessed over was, and will be for a while now, Ghost In the Shell Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig.  Excellent series all round.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
cath
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 03:59:45 PM »

My favorite anime series, EVER (even topping the previous placeholder, Trigun), is Gankutsuou.

It's essentially the Count of Monte Cristo set in the future, with the typical anime twists.

Now, the Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite book ever (and I refuse to acknowledge that horrible mess they call a movie starring Jim Caviezel and Guy Pearce), so with much trepidation I rented the anime.

I fell in love. It stays true to the story, while taking some veeeery awesome liberties, by changing which character we see the story through.. The animation took a bit getting used to (it's different, even for anime), but it's mostly gorgeous and made of awesome. I'd recommend it highly.

"Save the emo for the razorblades, honey."

I can lick my elbow.
BlackAngel75
Bad Movie Lover

eject...eject

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 02:28:12 AM »

I loved the Fullmetal Alchemist though too melodramatic.  If you have and/or seen the series, I highly recommend The Conqueror of Shambala movie which wrap everything up.

We all know Bill is a little nuts, but George has actually tasted them.
-Betty White at the William Shatner Roast
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:44:30 PM »

I'm not much of an anime guy, but i did like GHOST IN THE SHELL
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 04:23:57 AM »

I recommend anything by Satoshi Kon.  Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, and Tokyo Godfathers are all great.  I have not seen Paprika yet, and I'm probably going to have to wait until it hits DVD.  I also have not seen Paranoia Agent, but I've intentionally avoided it because I have to watch the whole series in one sitting (or maybe two or three... that's how I do series).

I enjoy older stuff.

Lupin III-- I don't know what else to say.  I love the first two TV series (I've never actually seen the third "pink jacket" series), and there are a handful of good movies-- Fuma Conspracy, Castle of Cagliostro (of course... it's a Miyazaki),  Zantetsuken is on Fire!, In Memory of the Walther P38...  They're all good for a watch.

Rose of Versailles-- French Revolutionary drama, about Lady Oscar, Marie Antionette's personal guard.  It's very good. Good luck finding it though... it's popular as hell, but has never been released in America.  There may be some fansubs on YouTube.

Galaxy Express 999 and Captain Harlock- Leiji Matsumoto has a cool universe here, and the few anime space operas I can get into.  My recommendation is Arcadia of my Youth, which is where I started.  It's a prequel to the first Harlock series, and sometimes it gets a little too prequel-y (Did they have to explain where Harlock got the bird?).  But I fell in love with the series and Matsumotot's style when I saw it.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 09:53:41 PM »

Azumanga Daioh is pretty good too.  Read the Manga and watch then Anime.  They are similar but there are some differences main with the English translation of the Manga, it would have used some work and some of the lines can be corny, but overall it's good.

dean

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 03:28:35 AM »

I don't know why, but something that has confused me for years is Castle Of Cagliostro.

I have a VHS copy I taped from a tv broadcast many a moon ago which has a completely different English Dub than the DVD version my friend just bought.

Since this is one of my favourite anime movies, this has confounded me, especially since I kind of prefer my version better, since the translation seems a bit better [even though it seems the other is more 'official' since he is called Wolf in mine, not Lupin.]

Either way, with either dub, it's a great movie.  I need to get my hands on others in the series.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 08:56:48 PM »

Girls High is another good one too.  I would suggest reading the manga first as it is more in depth and also a lot of the sexual jokes and innuendo's are left in. 
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »

Don't forget to check out some anime movies too:

Perfect Blue:
Definitely not for kids, whether your version has the graphic nudity or not; deals with a pop star looking to break into TV and movies, and some of the hideous moral compromises she has to make to do so. At the same time, it leaves open some questions about identity and the self as a series of grisly murders mimics the ones committed on her show.

Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door:
The loosely affiliated space cowboys from the 26-episode TV anime (also an excellent show) take on a terrorist with a huge bounty on his head who's looking to unleash a deadly virus on the population of Mars. So does everyone else in this tragicomedy, including the police and the marines.

Grave of the Fireflies:
A story of a Japanese boy and his sister desperately scraping out a living in Japan during World War II; while some call this an anti-war film, there's no real focus on that subject. Instead, it deals with all the personal sufferings and tragedies brought on by everyone's stubborn pride.

Princess Mononoke:
Tale of a prince forced to leave his home because of a curse that has fallen on him for the death of a boar god. While out looking for a cure for his woes, he faces down the various factions warring over the same chunk of ground, a forest-covered mountain filled with iron and guarded by animals and their gods. The animals are more or less headed up by the pretty young girl Princess Mononoke herself (who insists, contrary to all appearances, that she's a wolf). The mining town struggling to extract the ore is headed up by a ruthless gun-toting queen and her army of women that she rescued from working city brothels in mainland Japan. An invading army from the Emperor is also looking to conquer the land for itself. A lot of fireworks result.

Spirited Away:
A tale of the bratty young girl Chihiro, and how she learns some respect for others from being forced to work at a full-service bath house and hotel for the various spirits of nature.

The Cat Returns:
Another fairytale-ish story of a young girl who has some weird adventures in a magical land populated entirely by cats.

Street Fighter 2:
It's a rare example of an at least moderately successful movie made from a video game. The characters from the game all slug it out with each other, and take on the forces of Major Bison's evil organization Shadaloo. The unrated version also includes a thoroughly gratuitous and unnecessary shower scene.
felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 03:43:57 AM »

Metropolis is a fantastic movie as well and was by far my favourite until Spirited Away came along.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  My Anime « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.