Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:14:43 PM
714413 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Punk Rock music « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Author Topic: Punk Rock music  (Read 46053 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: June 20, 2007, 07:59:15 PM »

I used to listen to LOTS of punk music in the 80's and early 90's....not so much now as I mellow out...(read GOT OLD).Still...oh-whateer! Do you like punk rock,and any favorite...here's some of my favorite punk acts,and my favorite albums by them!
.the RAMONES-Rocket to Russia-all they're stuff,really!
.The STOOGES-the 1st album...'1969' is more than ok...it's titties and beer!
.the DEAD KENNEDYS-a toss up between' Freash Fruit for Rotting Vegtables' and 'Frankenchrist'....(always like the DK's titles.... BounceGiggle)
.BLACK FLAG-SLIP IT IN-this album is so down and dirty it makes me feel like a whore! In a good way!
.the CRAMPS-Bad Music for Bad People-does that mean me? Question
.SUICIDAL TENDENCIES 's first album
>the BAD BRAINS-the ROIR yellow cassette or banned in DC...or whatever it was called! I had it on a yellow cassette that said ROIR on it...!
.MDC-Millions of Dead Cops-also known later as Millions of Damn Christians...which was agood record too!
.also enjoy X-Ray Spex,FEAR,the Birthday Party(Nick Cave's old band),Circle Jerks,the Meatmen(yeh,it's stoopid-but so whut?),Mucky Pup,Butthole Surfers, the Sex Pistols,the Damned,GBH,the Adolescents,Country Bob and the Blood Farmers.,...heck...lots more...
 Anybody have any favorite "punk 'they like...

The BAD BRAINS!!!!These guys are so tight I wanna p**s my pants! hot
   [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riC-ixbxf7M  

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:52:04 PM »

I enjoy:

As you already mention, DK's and The Ramones
Bad Religion- "Suffer" and "No Control"
Screeching Weaslel(obviously)- "My Brain Hurts" and "Boogadaboogadaboogada"
The Queers- "Beat Off" and "Love Songs for the Retarded"
The Dickies- "Dawn of the Dickies" and "The Incredible Shrinking Dickies"
Circle Jerks- "Group Sex"
The Adolescents- Self-Titled(aka the Blue album)
NOFX-"White Trash, Two Heebs, and a Bean"(their latest album was a disappointment, though)
Guttermouth- "Shave the Planet"(been out for about a year now, and still play the heck out of it)
Sloppy Seconds- "Destroyed"

Loads of others, just can't think of 'em at the moment.

Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:10:25 AM »

I hear you RCMerchant.  I've got an eclectic taste in music, but punk and ska have always been my favorite. 

Bad Religion - 'How Could Hell Be Any Worse', 'Suffer', and 'Generator'.

The Descendents - 'Everything Sucks'

88 Fingers Louie - Most anything they did was great.  I prefer 'Back On The Streets' and '88 Fingers Up Your Ass' though.

Face To Face - 'Don't Turn Away' is still my favorite of theirs.  They seemed to lose their unique sound as time went on.

NOFX as Moron Boy mentioned.  'White Trash' was the first punk album I ever bought.  I also like 'S N M Airlines'.

Circle Jerks - 'Golden Shower Of Hits' and 'Oddities, Abnormalities, and Curiosities'.  If you have never heard 'Oddities..' then it's worth checking out.  If I'm not mistaken it's the last album they did.

Falling Sickness - Loved these guys back in high school.  Sadly they broke up a few years back.  Both of their albums, 'Right On Time' and 'Because The World Has Failed Us Both' are fantastic.

As for The Ramones, who doesn't like them?  They are by far one of the greatest rock bands of all time and their influence can be felt in most every "rock" song now, if such a thing exists anymore.  I just recently picked up that big Ramones boxset: "Strange Tales Of The Ramones".

http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0009CTUPA/ref=s9_asin_title_1-serq_g1/104-2409672-3437544?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18QXD91SJ4KC9F114TQN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=288448501&pf_rd_i=507846

It's done up in an E.C. Comics style and is heavy on the comic book motif.  The comic that is included is fantastic and is something that I'm sure RCMerchant would get a kick out of.  It also includes 3CDs and 1 DVD of Ramones songs, which equals up to about 103 songs and some videos thrown in as well. 

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 03:01:44 PM »

Punk change my whole life really. I just love it. Besides the Classics that everyone likes DKs, Adolescents, Ramones Black Flag, here some other bands I really dig:

Discharge have their "Society's Victims" Box set and it just great. Especially the early Eps and albums. This is early Crossover you can say.

Broken Bones- The guitarist from Discharge left to form this. Still fast and hard and actually  id great fusing Punk/metal together at that time when so many failed. "Dem Bones and Decapitated" is what I'm listening to now.

D.I.- Other band from the OC. The album Horse Bites Dog Cries is great

Reagan Youth-From my hometown of Queens great 80s hardcore

DeathCycle-Other band from New York that plays hardcore and is a recent band

Modern Life Is War- A great Melodic Hardcore band and their Witness is a great album

Thats just some of the few. I go to shows almost weekly.UP DA PUNX
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:13:40 PM by rich andrini » Logged

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:43:49 PM »

Punk bands are ok, but punk's distant cousin SKA is amazing.  Cheers

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:21:55 PM »

You can't forget about...

THE STRANGLERS - I got a rare LP of IV with versions pf "Meninblack", "The Raven", and "Rok it to the Moon". Great stuff. Gotta respect the duos.

THE MEMBERS - Sort of the inbreding member of the family going by KYGOTC's logic. Yes, there was ska/punk before OpIvy. Their song "Don't Push" off of At the Chelsea Night Club is one of the greatest punk anthems ever. It always surprised me why it's not as popular as some other stuff.

Nobody mentioned CRASS? Oh come on! "Big Man, Big M.A.N." always seems to get stuck in my head.

INFA RIOT - "Kids of the 80s" is still one of my favorite songs.

CROMAGS - Love that 80s hardcore. Listening to "Show You No Mercy" still makes me want to beat the crap out of somebody.

I heard GUTTERMOUTH. One of my all time favorite punk bands. "So you think your kung-fu's pretty good, heh? I want to fight your brother. Him against me. LET'S KUNG-FU!!" The "1,2,3...Slam!" video on Cinema Beer Goggles was friggin' hilarious!

JUGHEAD'S REVENGE - A lesser known band on the Nitro Records palate. Jughead's was just a plain-out kick ass punk band with various metal influences. I still think "Just Joined" was the best punk album of 1997. The Bouncing Souls s/t was overrated! Unfortunately, they were sued by Archie Comics near the turn of the century. Apparently it was all that dweeb Dexter Holland's fault, too. Archie Comics wasn't suing because of the name, but rather a T-shirt Nitro was putting out with the character Jughead's image on it. JR told Dexter to pull the shirts, Dexter didn't, Archie sued. They went under the name Jugg's Revenge for awhile, but that didn't last. Most of the original members are in a new band now, KILL DETAIL.

RC mentioned MUCKY PUP. I have a comp with them on it from a label called Crustacean Records out of Wisconsin. Didn't really get into them too much, but a couple other bands on the label were really good. MAD TRUCKER GONE MAD and BIG BIG FURNACE.

Has anyone ever heard of a band called ANGST? They were on SST Records in the early-mid eighties. Their albums include a self-titled, Lite Life, Mystery Spot, and Mending Wall. I happened upon all of these albums (two on cassette, two on vinyl) as if I were destined to have them. They're a bit on the mellow side, but they are four of the very best albums I own. ANGST. If you ever see it at your local record store (you know the real ones) don't hesitate to grab it.

RADIO BIRDMAN - Kick ass surf punk from Australia named after a misquoted line in The Stooges' "1970." Saw them last year in Boston. Yeah, they're like 60, but yeah they still kick ass. One of the best shows I have ever been to.

And talking about great shows, I also saw the MELVINS a few months back. They merged with this other band BIG BUSINESS, and those two guys is BB played their set, and the MELVINS set straight through with one, maybe two, breaks. That guy was playing drums for almost two hours straight. Phenomenal. Recently picked up the MELVINS with JELLO BIAFRA and another one with them and LUSTMORD. Both incredibly awesome albums. Especially the JELVINS. I'd vote for JELLO.

AGENT ORANGE - I love these guys. About a week ago I heard a god-awful cover of their song "Living in Darkness" while I was in Spencers. I promptly went home and listened to the whole album twice.

Falling Sickness was good, but I was always more partial to AGAINST ALL AUTHORITY. At least "Destroy..." and "All Fall Down." And while we're halfway there, why not mention some good ol' ska? My favorites include THE SPECIALS (obviously), MADNESS, THE SELECTOR, BAD MANNERS, SKAVOOVIE AND THE EPITONES, TOOTS AND THE MAYTALS, GANGSTER FUN, SKANKIN' PICKLE, THE RUDIMENTS, THE BUSTERS, BIG LICK, CHECKERBOARD CHARLIE, and MUSTARD PLUG.

Well, I could go on forever. On top of being a movie dork, I'm also a pretty big music one too. Everyone always wondered why I didn't have a car in high school... Great thread. The Meatmen rule RC, don't worry.

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »

About 1994(?) I saw the Melvins on a bill with the Reverend Horton Heat and White Zombie. I went to see the headliner,White Zombie,and came back remebering the MELVINS!!!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 12:37:39 AM »

wow there has already been a lot of great stuff mentioned.

i'd have to go with the Ramones for sure. some other ones that have stuck with me most through the years: Bad Religion, DK, Crass, the Buzzcocks, the Descendents, Rites of Spring.

also - there's all these other bands that come to my mind that a lot of people would consider punk, but other people wouldn't. like Fugazi, stuff like that.
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 03:17:03 PM »

Yeah, I would put the aforementioned ANGST in that mix. I never really got into FUGAZI, not that I don't like them. I had a bassist once who was obsessed with them. I knew a couple of people who were really into them. I never got it. There are a lot of really good quote/unquote post-punk bands. GANG OF FOUR, WIRE and PERE UBU all come to mind. They were before FUGAZI, but FUGAZI is certainly the next logical step after those guys. There's also THE FALL, but I can't friggin' stand The Fall. My brother loves them. I got most of my pre-90s muscial knowledge from him. He made me various mix tapes (that's the common means of education). He would always put the damn Fall on every tape. "Bingo Masters Breakout" is one of the most annoying songs in history. I quite enjoy some of the "modern post-punk" (for lack of a better term). LIARS are probably the creme of the crop. I also like BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB and INTERPOL. I saw Interpol at Radio City Music Hall. Great show, but I don't really like the whole eMod scene (emo + mod = eMod = my fist). I just want to grab one of them and scream "GIVE ME BACK MY CULTURE!!!" It's a cryin' shame what passes for punk these days.

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 09:23:11 PM »

I like old punk rock, but can't stand the new stuff.  Quite frankly, it has been co-oped.  Many lame bands are calling themselves punk but differ from traditional punk both in sound and ideals.  In fact the label "pop-punk" should be a contradiction.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »

I agree...what passes for "punk" nowadays is not the real thing...IMHO,it just isn't as spontanious and go-for-broke as the old school stuff.

from Donn Letts PUNK ROCK MOVIE...(ysta have it on vhs...long gone now... Bluesad
..anyway SLAGHTER and the DOGS!!! 'Cranked Up Really High"!
 [youtube=425,350]
Small | Large

...meanwhile...back in the States...

[youtube=425,350]
Small | Large

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 01:57:31 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »

So, has anyone notuiced how the Clash are actually quite musiclal and melodic?  Its actually not that punk at all.  Frankly, I just don't get punk.  Ska, yes, and the attotudes behind punk yes, but I don't get punk music.  I want to get it, but sadly, do not.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 02:13:49 PM »

So, has anyone notuiced how the Clash are actually quite musiclal and melodic?  Its actually not that punk at all.  Frankly, I just don't get punk.  Ska, yes, and the attotudes behind punk yes, but I don't get punk music.  I want to get it, but sadly, do not.
-Ed

When I first was introduced to punk music in NY by my older brother Mike in the early 80's,I didn't quite get it either. But he made me buy some punk albums...we went to a record store and he picked out some choice ones to "turn me on" to the music: Black Flags DAMAGED,the Sex Pistols, the RAMONES first,and the Cramps GRAVEST  HITS.  He played them constantly...soon I was hooked! Don't really like the  hardcore oi bands,or some of the really depressing stuff too much. I think it's the high energy level and DIY thing about punk that got me going. Still enjoy the old punk...but when I'm sittin'around the house,I generally listen to old 50's and early pre Beatlemania stuff.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 08:57:28 PM »

Wow!  No love for my favorite band of all time:  The Misfits!!!

"Horror Business" is (thrashy) punk rock perfection.  I dig them because, they had one of the best singers ever, a good mix of fast and slower songs, and all their song are about old horror, sci-fi and B-movies.

Matter of fact, it was because of listening to them as a teenager, that I became a fan of bad movies.  I was curious about the main inspiration of my favorite band.

The Ramones are my second favorite.  Good thing I got to see them before they started dropping like flies.  "Rocket to Russia" is probably the best punk album ever.  It's one of those rare albums that I can just pop in the CD player and listen to from start to finish.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 04:35:45 PM »

I love The Misfits, but I personally think that Jerry and Glenn can be real tools. Though, Jerry is much less of a tool than Glenn.  I saw the last incarnation with Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone back in '04. That was a pretty awesome show. They broke into some Black Flag and some Ramones as well. The 50s cover album was decent. Isn't Robo playing with them again now?

I preferred Michale Graves singing over Jerry. Though, I'm sure that he doesn't want to have to deal with another lead singer.

I don't know, I never liked the Misfits or the Ramones as much as the New York Dolls, The Clash, or the Dead Kennedys. Though, you really can't put any one over the other outright, in my book anyway. I just think I'd pop in the Dolls' s/t or "Give 'Em Enough Rope" before "Rocket" or "Earth A.D." (though I would burn a copy of the either of the first two with "Death Comes Ripping" and "I Wanna be Well" tacked on the end).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Punk Rock music « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.