Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:21:29 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Things you may not have known about the Power Rangers « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Things you may not have known about the Power Rangers  (Read 22877 times)
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 06:31:22 PM »

I used to watch the show back in the day.  I didn't think the show used recycled action scenes at the time.   But now that you mention it, I do remember the voices didn't always sync up with characters.  If all of the action scenes were recycled it must have been hard to work the plot around a preset ending.

Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »

There was a very attractive girl that played on the Power Rangers back in the day.  Saw some pictures of her in a bikini but I can't remember what her name was.  She was quite a looker.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 09:18:40 PM »

I used to watch this when I was younger as well...and I've also seen the original Japanese versions of a lot of the shows.  Even as a 20-something now, I have to say the storyline of the original Zyuranger was much more elaborate than the original Power Rangers...especially when it comes to the Green ranger. 

See, in Zyuranger, all the rangers are representative royalty from different kingdoms, that existed in prehistoric times without leaving evidence they existed (long story).  Geki, the red ranger, is the representative prince of the Yamato Clan.  But he later discovers that he had an older brother, named Burai. 

See, when the kingdoms existed, a warrior called the black knight had offended the king of the Yamato clan, and as punishment, was forced to give up his infant son.  That infant was Geki, who was adopted into the royal family.  The Black Knight relented at the time, but later on rebelled against the king.  This led to the king killing the the knight in front of his eldest son, Burai.  After an emotional goodbye, Burai swears revenge against the Yamato royalty, including Geki, who he refuses to recognize as his brother from then on.  He trained day after day, and eventually found a way to preserve himself for the present day, just like the other rangers.  He also obtained his own powers, becoming the  Dragonranger, or the Green Ranger, as we know him. 

Like in the American version, Burai reconciles with everyone, and becomes part of the team.  But unlike the American version, Burai does not lose his green ranger powers...he dies, sacrificing himself for another.  That's the big thing that separates the Japanese versions of these shows with the American versions.  There's an actual danger of death, and it's happened, more than once on multiple shows.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:20:19 PM by D-Man » Logged
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »

I watched Power Rangers for quite a few years.  From it's debut until early 1999.  At about that time, they pretty much finished up 6 years worth of storylines by killing Zordon (the big floating head.)  I still watch it from time to time.

It was a bad show, but that gave it it's appeal.  They tried to use the Japanese footage. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 07:04:22 AM »

Getting just slightly off topic...some of you may remember an awful PR copycat show called VR Troopers...I'd forgotten about it, until I discovered one of the shows they took footage from...a series from 1987 called Metalder (They also borrowed from another show called Speilban at the same time.)

Metalder was a unique series in the japanese live action genre.  It only lasted 39 episodes, because kids found it too dark and serious much of the time.  It did find a following among adults in Japan, though. 

Here's one of the fight scenes from Metalder...check out the violent and brutal ways in which the hero takes out this enemy robot.

Small | Large

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 07:55:11 AM »

Getting just slightly off topic...some of you may remember an awful PR copycat show called VR Troopers...I'd forgotten about it, until I discovered one of the shows they took footage from...a series from 1987 called Metalder (They also borrowed from another show called Speilban at the same time.)

LOL!  I remember VR Troopers...but I'll do you one better.  Remember the "Big Bad Beetleborgs"?  That was the crappiest of the Power Ranger clones (not that "Rangers" were any good to begin with).  Bettleborgs was so bad it was sort of good...Or had the twisted appeal of slowing down to check out a car accident on the highway.

Small | Large

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »

Dear god, I was trying to forget about the Beetleborgs...thank you for bringing that back to my head, lol.

That one used footage taken from a Japanese series called B-fighter.  In B-fighter, the heroes were all adults, and the female was actually pretty decent looking.  Beetleborgs was an even bigger slap in the face to the original genre than VR Troopers, I think. 

Damn you, Saban!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »

LOL!  I remember VR Troopers...but I'll do you one better.  Remember the "Big Bad Beetleborgs"?  That was the crappiest of the Power Ranger clones (not that "Rangers" were any good to begin with).  Bettleborgs was so bad it was sort of good...Or had the twisted appeal of slowing down to check out a car accident on the highway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXGGT1YuHMI

BeetleBorgs was bad, but not the worst.

The worst copycat of Power Rangers was a little show called "Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills' that used to air on USA Network.  It was four teenagers (2 guys, 2 Girls) who would go into the closet of a coffee shop and be transported to their command center.  They would stand on these things and yell out the name of a constellation, like "Taurus" or "Apollo" and would promptly grow to be Godzilla size proportions.

No 'zords' or anything on this show.  Plus the best part was their 'mentor'.  BeetleBorgs had Flabber, Power Rangers had a giant head named Zordon.  On this show, it was a blobby brain thing.  Not even an actor.   Just a ball of slime voiced by Glenn Shadix.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Things you may not have known about the Power Rangers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.