Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:49:18 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies for the 4th « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movies for the 4th  (Read 3239 times)
Menard
« on: July 04, 2007, 07:30:37 PM »

Just wondering, as there are movies we watch for other holidays, if there are any movies any of you watch for the 4th of July, or that you would consider good fare for the holiday.

For me, the one movie that I am watching for the 4th is Return of the Living Dead. Not only is the movie set on July the 4th, but Linnea Quigley certainly gets...ummm....skyrockets up, up, and away in this one. TeddyR
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »

Somehow I had missed that "Return of the Living Dead" was set on the 4th.  It makes the nuclear artillery shell that much more of a parody, I guess.

Coming up with a 4th-themed film is eluding me, though the idea is neat.  I suppose that "Daimajin" would work, along with something like "Gymkata" (the prior film and many Samurai films are a better fit than the latter).  "Rocky IV" is another candidate, though it goes to the "crazy patriotic" side of the spectrum.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 08:37:10 PM »

Hmmm...
BORN on the 4th of JULY,the movie with Tom Cruise,mebbe?. :question:ok....mebbe not..... Bluesad

INDEPENDENCE DAY is an obvious one...though I would rather watch the original WAR of the WORLDS,EARTH vs. The FLYING SAUCERS,or even MARS ATTACKS!

Jimi at WOODSTOCK-

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euUitQtlKMg

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:32:59 PM »

To me, there's only one movie for the 4th - Mel Gibson's THE PATRIOT.  Seen it a dozen times, loved it every time.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:37:35 PM »

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1942) opens on George M. Cohan's "birthday": the 4th of July (that's Hollywood, it was really the 3rd).  Jimmy Cagney as Cohan is accused in the film of lots of "vulgar flag waving..." 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 02:45:41 AM »

It's not a "bad movie", but my friends and I always watch "1776" (1972) on the 4th.  It's a good movie in its own right, but what could possibly be more appropriate for the 4th than a movie about the events that transpired to make the 4th what it is?

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068156/

The VHS version we used to rent is the theatrical release; the newer DVD version Mike bought contains a lot of extra footage, including at least one or two more songs (yes, it's a musical).

Another 4th of July related movie to watch (although also not a "bad movie") is "McLintock!" (1963).  The climax of the movie takes place on the 4th, during the celebrations.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057298/

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 04:27:42 AM »

It's not a "bad movie", but my friends and I always watch "1776" (1972) on the 4th.  It's a good movie in its own right, but what could possibly be more appropriate for the 4th than a movie about the events that transpired to make the 4th what it is?

1776!!!! Wow. I remember our school taking us to see that movie on a field trip or some such thing!!! I had forgotton all about it!!! That was a long time ago! We saw it in a theater in Kalamazoo,seems like I was older than 10,though....hmmmm. I enjoyed it,which was strange for me,because at ten,if it didn't involve monsters, soldiers,or cowboys,I generally didn't like it!  BounceGiggle (Almost the same as now!)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 07:06:43 AM »

UNCLE SAM i belive takes place on the 4th, with issac hayes running around no less!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:25:34 AM »

How about the EXTREMELY terrible, and mostly forgotten, Al Pacino flick REVOLUTION?  It bombed in theaters in 1985 and didn't do well as a video rental, either.  If you can believe Pacino, with his New York accent, as a Revolutionary War soldier, then I guess you can believe anything. 

7 critics reviewed this on the Rotten Tomatoes website and they all panned it.  Here are some quotes:

"Star-spangled silliness, and one of the biggest debacles of the 1980s"

"Revolution is a pointless, frequently cruel train wreck of a movie, atrociously miscast and laughably overmelodramatic, and apparently filmed without benefit of a script."

"Who on Earth thought Al Pacino (The Insider, Devil's Advocate) could possibly be an appropriate choice to play a supposedly Scottish fur trader in colonial New York? The accent his Tom Dobb speaks with is like Michael Corleone trying to come off as British. "

"Dirty, rainy, gray, grim, and muddy, Revolution is like a Monty Python movie they forgot to add the jokes to. Only not as funny."

"[Director Hugh] Hudson's revolutionary war epic has a dubious place in film history as one of the worst reviewed movies of the decade."

"An almost inconceivable disaster which tries for a worm's eye view of the American Revolution, the worm in question being [Al] Pacino as a son of the good earth who is pushed into the fight by the taunts of [Klaus] Kinski and motivated by the sadism of British sergeant [Donald] Sutherland."

"It's also the first 70 mm movie that looks as if it was shot hand-held on 16 mm and blown up for the big screen. Director? I didn't catch the credit. Was there one?"

I worked in a video rental store when this was released and I got to take it home and watch it for free.  It was a painful experience.

This movie is SO forgotten, that I keep forgetting to list it when contributors to this forum ask about the worst movies ever made.  This one is near the top of the list.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »

How about the EXTREMELY terrible, and mostly forgotten, Al Pacino flick REVOLUTION?  It bombed in theaters in 1985 and didn't do well as a video rental, either.  If you can believe Pacino, with his New York accent, as a Revolutionary War soldier, then I guess you can believe anything. 

7 critics reviewed this on the Rotten Tomatoes website and they all panned it.  Here are some quotes:

"Star-spangled silliness, and one of the biggest debacles of the 1980s"

"Revolution is a pointless, frequently cruel train wreck of a movie, atrociously miscast and laughably overmelodramatic, and apparently filmed without benefit of a script."

"Who on Earth thought Al Pacino (The Insider, Devil's Advocate) could possibly be an appropriate choice to play a supposedly Scottish fur trader in colonial New York? The accent his Tom Dobb speaks with is like Michael Corleone trying to come off as British. "

"Dirty, rainy, gray, grim, and muddy, Revolution is like a Monty Python movie they forgot to add the jokes to. Only not as funny."

"[Director Hugh] Hudson's revolutionary war epic has a dubious place in film history as one of the worst reviewed movies of the decade."

"An almost inconceivable disaster which tries for a worm's eye view of the American Revolution, the worm in question being [Al] Pacino as a son of the good earth who is pushed into the fight by the taunts of [Klaus] Kinski and motivated by the sadism of British sergeant [Donald] Sutherland."

"It's also the first 70 mm movie that looks as if it was shot hand-held on 16 mm and blown up for the big screen. Director? I didn't catch the credit. Was there one?"

I worked in a video rental store when this was released and I got to take it home and watch it for free.  It was a painful experience.

This movie is SO forgotten, that I keep forgetting to list it when contributors to this forum ask about the worst movies ever made.  This one is near the top of the list.

We were forced to watch this one every year in our history classes in middle school.  As Burgo said, it's extremely awful. 

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 04:14:16 AM »

I really didn't have anything in particular planned out, so I just popped in Harry Potter and the Scoreror's Stone.  Not exactly patriotic, but it got the job done.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies for the 4th « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.