Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:51:56 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD (1971) - (aka REVENGE FROM PLANET APE???) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD (1971) - (aka REVENGE FROM PLANET APE???)  (Read 3908 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 03, 2007, 11:55:18 PM »

I recently bought Blue Underground's BLIND DEAD boxed set (in the coffin-shaped box).  It contains all 4 BLIND DEAD movies, plus a special features DVD and a booklet.

The TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD DVD has 2 versions of the movie on it:  the uncut 97 minute Spanish version (with English subtitles) and the 83 minute English version (dubbed).  Of course, I watched the uncut Spanish version and then accessed a few scenes from the English version so I could see the differences.  One big difference is that a flashback in the middle of the Spanish version is the opening scene in the English version.  Also, the picture quality on the Spanish version is superior to the English version.

The disc also includes an alternate opening for the U.S. version.  Apparently, some smart-ass distributors wanted to trick people into thinking this was a sequel to PLANET OF THE APES.  So they released a cut version, re-titled it REVENGE FROM PLANET APE, and added some narration at the beginning that talks about a war between humans and apes and tries to make you believe the zombies in this movie are ape zombies (?????????????)  This reminded me of the narration at the beginning of FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR (a movie that has nothing whatsoever to do with Frankenstein), where the narrator talks about a wolf monster called WOLFSTEIN (????????????)

Apparently, they recently screened the REVENGE FROM PLANET APE version in Cambridge, MA (about a 20 minute drive from where I live).  Here is an ad for it that I found online:

A possibly less-relevant sequel than "Teen Wolf Too" is the 1971 flick "Revenge of the Planet Ape," which is considered a spinoff of 1968's "Planet of the Apes" even though it wasn't meant to be one. "Revenge" is actually a Portuguese zombie movie, but because "Apes" was such a hit in the US, "Revenge" was remarketed as a movie about zombie apes. It doesn't have to make sense. It's a zombie movie, after all. "Revenge of the Planet Ape" plays at the Brattle Theatre tonight at 5:45 and 9:30 as part of its "Welcome to the Grindhouse" series. Tickets: $9.50. Brattle Theatre, 40 Brattle St., Cambridge, 617-876-6837. brattlefilm.org [M.G.]

Who doesn't love this stuff?

The next movie in the BLIND DEAD series is RETURN OF THE EVIL DEAD (aka RETURN OF THE BLIND DEAD).  The DVD also has a Spanish version and a slightly shorter English version of this movie.  Hopefully, I will get to watch it within a few days.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:30:44 AM »

Who doesn't love this stuff?
I don't! 
I can't help but resurrect this unwelcome, now edited, commentary from the old SCIFILM.ORG board, my comments about this film, which includes SPOILERS:

I was impressed at the often bad and obtrusive music, the gratuitous sex (including the so-called "plot point" of the flashback lesbian scene) the relationship of the professor to the cutthroats, and the fact that Virginia comes back to life in bra and panties (morgue issued, no doubt).  We are further treated to a woman tied to a cross, spread eagle, and slashed at with swords followed by the drinking of the "blood" that comes gushing from the apparently fake rubber torso...and then there is of course the loathsome rape in the cemetery which includes some great teat action, if you'll pardon my pointing it out.   That Betty, all puns intended, sure had a bad night.  But who cares about "plot" when you have gruesome looking Knights Templar that keep their own stable of horses for a thousand years (and I thought Hercules destroyed all the flesh-eating horses) that I must point out are not so mystical that they can't be stolen for at least a quick ride?!   

Did I mention María Elena Arpón (Virginia) exposing her stupendous backside thru the flames after jumping off a train?  I suppose at 11 or 12 years of age, this might have been both titillating and frightening; I did like a moment here or there (the bell ringing in the tower, the music accompanying Virginia setting up camp in the ruins).  The scenes near the end, on the train, filled with holes as pointed out, are not clear (not even a suggested body count nor do we really see the victims struggle, just the one child being abused with corn syrup--just loathsome).  But, come on guys, this may have fueled many an adolescent sex fantasy in the gloriously gratuitous 70s, but it's hardly a scary movie or compelling cinema...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:04:37 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 07:01:50 AM »

Allhllowsay:

Ah, my friend.  But isn't everything you mention what our love of B-movies is all about?

Cheers

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 07:58:20 AM »

And do you know the mastermind behind all this retitled,misleading hokum? One Mr.SAM SHERMAN! His INDEPENDENT INTERNATIONAL (who also released FRANKENSTEIN's BLOODY TERROR) was infamous for changing titles to intice new box office. He was the co-conspirator with the equally sneaky AL ADAMSON,of DRACULA vs FRANKENSTEIN and HORROR of the BLOOD MONSTERS.
But the APES trick is a new one by me!!! BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Karma!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »

Allhllowsay:
Ah, my friend.  But isn't everything you mention what our love of B-movies is all about?
Of course you are right!  Thanks, Burgomaster.  That's exactly the kind of response I'd hoped for!   Wink  karma for you  Thumbup

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 05:47:23 PM »

That "Planet of the Apes" angle is wacky.

I have a review of this one pending, should be posted around November.  I like the original Spanish version a lot better than the English dub.  The dubbed version is heavily cut (the rape scene is completely removed) and scenes are liberally moved around. 

The undead Templars have always been a cool idea and I love the way that the skeletal warriors look, with their dirty cloaks and bony hands.  Besides, the night that I watched this to work on the review, Katie made a point of telling me that she hates Italian zombie films.  I gleefully pointed out that "The Blind Dead" is about undead Templars and from Spain.  My wife does have a sense of humor, but it was nowhere to be found that evening.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:40 PM »

I can't stand either cut of this movie.  The Spanish one is a little better than the English but not enough to make it bearable.  The undead Templars look cool and that is the only good thing about the Blind Dead series.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »

I can't stand either cut of this movie.  The Spanish one is a little better than the English but not enough to make it bearable.  The undead Templars look cool and that is the only good thing about the Blind Dead series.
Wow, I am very surprised to find someone who agrees with me;  Thumbup of course, I now bear this series of films a grudge because when I reacted as displayed here, and posted same to my beloved old board, I became the Monster driven off by the torch-wielding villagers!!! 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:23:13 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD (1971) - (aka REVENGE FROM PLANET APE???) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.