Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:41:54 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Blob (1988) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Blob (1988)  (Read 71035 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 03:08:37 AM »

Well the thing about Paul is, he isn't your typical jock. I thought he really came across as a likable guy.
Patient Zero
New Visitor

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »

Fun little flick.  I am one of the few that actually prefers this over the original.
You're not alone, Torgo. I, too, prefer this one. This movie has done the impossible: it made a pink glob of man-eating jello from outer space actually scary. Allow me to explain. The original blob was a slow-moving dunce who only ate anyone unfortunate enough to come in contact with it. In this movie, not only is the blob fast, it's also smart. Can you picture the original blob crawling up to the ceiling to drop onto an unsuspecting passerby? Or shoot out sticky tentacles like a frog's tongue? Or hide in a sink and pull some poor sucker into the drain in what may be the goriest, most unpleasant death imaginable? I sure can't.
Oh, and I'm never getting near a kitchen sink again.

"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing his own opinions." - Proverbs 18:2
...Thus explaining the behavior of message board trolls everywhere.
Ted
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 03:42:20 PM »

I remember seeing this movie when I was really young I'm only 21 now but I love this movie.  The 50's through the 80's saw the best horror movies, even remakes were be good.  Now days my generation is stuck unoriginal teeny bopper trash.
J.D.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 05:37:10 AM »

No kidding! Movies these days just seem to crank out sleeze, T & A and CG. As if that's going to make up for lack of entertainment. Far too many movies these days just use lots of CGI to cover weak ideas. Take Riddick for instance. What's so good about it beyond that they poured a bunch of action scenes and CG? A character like Flagg was a misfit that found his moment. Riddick was a glorified criminal. In the model of a Hip Hop gangsta. Really he didn't display any worth while traits in Pitch Black. But then he's some sort of evil hero who saves the universe by Chronicles. I'm of the same opinion of the author Goodkind on such matters. Like: A=A. A society must have values.
Jaymes
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »

Okay... The 1958 version was ALOT BETTER! So i have to say the movie not having the Actual Downingtown Diner and the actual Colonial Theater made the movie even worse. And movies like the blob should not be rated R.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »

Add me to the list of those who think that this version is better than the original.  That doensn't mean I think this version is great, just that the Steve McQueen version is horribly dull. 

A few more lessons learned:

If Matt Dillon had worn a mullet, he may have ended up like his less succesful brother Kevin.

Alien bacteria killed the dinosaurs.

In the sewers, motocross bikes aren't subject to the laws of gravity.

You can always tell the highest ranking member of a government biological containment squad because his helmet is the only one with a cool green backlight in certain key scenes.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Patrick Jackson
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »

The only thing I didn't enjoy about this movie was that Shawnee Smith's character, for all her advertising, kept getting mercilessly upstaged with Kevin Dillon's. Pretty sexist; the producers should have let her be more the heroine, since the whole damsel bit has been done to death.

Also, most of the supporting cast (save those with stylishly gooey death scenes) are dramatically squandered. You gotta ask yourself why Meg goes to all that trouble for her little brother; not only isn't he very brave, he's obnoxious to boot! Or hardly his sister's brother, at least. (Just try to imagine Tristar Pictures' previous horror outing, THE MONSTER SQUAD, if the kids were like Eddie Beckner and Kevin Penny! Maybe a decent satire, but that's it.) 
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »

Fun little flick.  I am one of the few that actually prefers this over the original.

I agree, much better than the original and that's great too! This is one of my favourite movies.

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
SwimTiger
New Visitor

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »

I'm a big fan of the original and also the remake. Although the remake has much better FX...it's too bad they didn't have a sequel.
cqmorrell
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

Used to get nightmares from this all the time in my youth ...

If anyone's curious: Abbeville, Louisiana, the place where this was filmed, looks almost exactly as it did 25 years ago. The theater's apparently closed down, and a walk down the alley beside it reveals that there isn't a manhole cover there in real life. Bummer.
Robot Ears
Dedicated Viewer

I am Error

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »

I am not one for modern remakes these days, so much, but I thought the 1988 blob is an outstanding remake. Such a good film. I remember the first time I watched it I was a little upset with the new twist ending (won't spoil) as opposed to the original's "where it comes from' ending. But re-watching the remake again recetly, I totally loved the change to the ending this time around and 'got' why they changed it and how it's kind of a symbolic political message. Outstanding movie with amazing death scenes, not to mention.  TeddyR
Joexrayguy
New Visitor

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »

Favorite scene- General pulls the pins on both his hand grenades just before Blob slaps a pseudopod on him. Went with his boots on and guns empty.
OutThereMovies
New Visitor

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2018, 10:50:18 AM »

The original is such a great movie that I was pretty p**sed when I first discovered there was a remake.  But this movie is a blast, I had to like it!  And to be honest I own this one, but not the original.
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »

You're not alone, Torgo. I, too, prefer this one. This movie has done the impossible: it made a pink glob of man-eating jello from outer space actually scary. Allow me to explain. The original blob was a slow-moving dunce who only ate anyone unfortunate enough to come in contact with it. In this movie, not only is the blob fast, it's also smart. Can you picture the original blob crawling up to the ceiling to drop onto an unsuspecting passerby? Or shoot out sticky tentacles like a frog's tongue? Or hide in a sink and pull some poor sucker into the drain in what may be the goriest, most unpleasant death imaginable? I sure can't.
Oh, and I'm never getting near a kitchen sink again.

The original blob seemed quite willing to pursue people.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »

The only thing I didn't enjoy about this movie was that Shawnee Smith's character, for all her advertising, kept getting mercilessly upstaged with Kevin Dillon's. Pretty sexist; the producers should have let her be more the heroine, since the whole damsel bit has been done to death.

Also, most of the supporting cast (save those with stylishly gooey death scenes) are dramatically squandered. You gotta ask yourself why Meg goes to all that trouble for her little brother; not only isn't he very brave, he's obnoxious to boot! Or hardly his sister's brother, at least. (Just try to imagine Tristar Pictures' previous horror outing, THE MONSTER SQUAD, if the kids were like Eddie Beckner and Kevin Penny! Maybe a decent satire, but that's it.) 

I think shawnee was a good heroine. She was lightyears above most women in speielberg movies.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Blob (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.