Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:12:09 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Who was your first musical love? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who was your first musical love?  (Read 14780 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: January 27, 2008, 12:42:24 AM »

Well, I liked lots of records before my first "musical love," but, I'm thinking whose records did you buy??

I finally have my own copy of the ELTON JOHN record I've wanted for about 35 years.  My favorite ELTON JOHN song has always been "Honky Cat" and when growing up, we had ELTON's Greatest Hits, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (two copies) Caribou, Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, and some 45s, but the first record I ever bought, by any artist, was Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player, bought on a whim, instead of the record I went to buy, Honky Chateau and ironically, that was the only time I found it at that local record shop I frequented so many years ago, and later when I bought all my other ELTON LPs, Honky Chateau was never available.  By the time Blue Moves came out, I was over ELTON... I did eventually buy a copy of Honky Chateau by my first love, ELTON JOHN, and it got me to wondering... 

Who was your first musical love?  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

Well, I remember liking Michael Jackson a bunch as a younger kid, but I wouldn't necessarily say he was my 'favorite', although I still think he was extremely talented. 

I'd say my first 'love' was Weird Al Yankovic, actually.  He's the first musician I bought when I started buying my own albums with like, birthday money.  And he's actually helped introduce me to other musicians through not only his parodies, but his original music as well.  Bands like Cake, They Might be Giants, Frank Zappa, Ray Stevens, Sparks, Devo, etc.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 03:16:29 PM »

The Beatles.  Definitely the Beatles.  The first time I heard "Hey Jude" I fell head over heels.  This was the first cassette tape I ever bought.

I also liked Elton John, especially "Madman Across the Water."

Never liked any of the music that was popular when I was growing up in the 1980s. I was always 20 years behind my peers.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »

Wow...thats a good subject Hallows....I gotta get in the 'Wayback Machine'...!

Back in the 60's...I recall the Stone's 'Satisfaction' as being a favorite...as well as the Archies 'Sugar Sugar' and of course 'THese Boots' by Nancy Sinatra and the Name Game -Shirly Ellis!!!!

The NAME GAME!!!

Small | Large

My first albums were...
.HERMAN'S HERMITS (don't remember the albums name...)
.ALICE COOPER-Easy Action...(his second album,I believe...)
.LED ZEPPILIN II
.HANK SNOW-I'm Movin' On
.the BOX TOPS-I know it had 'the Letter' on it
.the TURTLES

How many 'alt-rock' groups have copped this look?

The BOX TOPS

Small | Large

...by the way..that's Alex Chilton from BIG STAR on vocals...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:00:07 PM »

My first albums were...
.LED ZEPPILIN II
.HANK SNOW-I'm Movin' On
.the TURTLES
The BOX TOPS...by the way..that's Alex Chilton from BIG STAR on vocals...
BELA, you sure know your bands!  You are one of only two people I know who even heard of BIG STAR...  Thumbup

I do remember loving 45s when I was very young (we had both my brother's and my cousin's).  My favorites were LOU CHRISTIE "Lightening Strikes," SHEB WOOLEY "Purple People Eater," and THE SINGING NUN "Domenique" !!   BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:36:30 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:16:58 PM »

I never listened to alot of music when I was younger. I listened to Hip-Hop but I think I was trying to fit in with me peers. When I got older I started to listen Nirvana and Guns N Roses that got me into more music but I will be honest those bands really only put out 1 good album each (Nirvana you could say 2 if you count "Bleach") and I hardly listen to them anymore. So I can't say it was a longer lasting love. They were the "gateway" you could say.

Whats really my first love and can listen to them over and over was probably Dead Kennedys Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag and Descendents. I remember hearing them on a 80s music comp. I bought trying to find better music. When I first heard songs like "Raise Above" and 'Suburban Home". It just blew my mind and eveything in my music collection. It spoke to me. I went out and bought most their albums and started to go to shows and see so much more.

So my first albums were:

Black Flag-Damaged
Descendents-Milo Goes to College
Bikini Kill-p***y Whipped
Dead Kennedys- Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death
Minor Threat, Germs, Anti-Nowhere League, Avengers, Judge-Anthologies of those bands.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »

Def Leppard was my first musical love, I suppose. :o

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »

My first albums were...
.LED ZEPPILIN II
.HANK SNOW-I'm Movin' On
.the TURTLES
The BOX TOPS...by the way..that's Alex Chilton from BIG STAR on vocals...
BELA, you sure know your bands!  You are one of only two people I know who even heard of BIG STAR...  Thumbup

Make that 3 people...

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »

Make that 3 people...
Well, I do have a tendency towards hyperbole...  Wink 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »

I never listened to alot of music when I was younger. I listened to Hip-Hop but I think I was trying to fit in with me peers. When I got older I started to listen Nirvana and Guns N Roses that got me into more music but I will be honest those bands really only put out 1 good album each (Nirvana you could say 2 if you count "Bleach") and I hardly listen to them anymore. So I can't say it was a longer lasting love. They were the "gateway" you could say.

Whats really my first love and can listen to them over and over was probably Dead Kennedys Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag and Descendents. I remember hearing them on a 80s music comp. I bought trying to find better music. When I first heard songs like "Raise Above" and 'Suburban Home". It just blew my mind and eveything in my music collection. It spoke to me. I went out and bought most their albums and started to go to shows and see so much more.

So my first albums were:

Black Flag-Damaged
Descendents-Milo Goes to College
Bikini Kill-p***y Whipped
Dead Kennedys- Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death
Minor Threat, Germs, Anti-Nowhere League, Avengers, Judge-Anthologies of those bands.

I first got into punk in the mid 80's...when I was staying in NYC with my Ma and brothers Mike and Glenn...my first punk albums I bought...

. BLACK FLAG-DAMAGED
. the CRAMPS-Gravest Hits
. the RAMONES-1st
 . a Cherry Red big 45 of Too Drunk to F*ck and the Prey by the DEAD KENNEDYS
. X-Under the Big Black Sun
. the SEX PISTOLS-Never Mind the Bullocks
. -and the BIRTHDAY PARTY-It's Still Living.

Nick Cave and the BIRTHDAY PARTY-Release the Bats!!!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »

First love would have to be The Police followed very closely by Duran Duran.  After all these years I can love and admire their music without going teenage screamy over the guys themselves.

Since then my major loves have been Tori Amos, kd lang and Crowded House.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »

I guess you could say my first music favorite was "Weird" Al. That would have been elementary school, and he had a goofy humor that allowed me to latch onto the music. But I didn't really start listening to music until I started my teenage years. (However, "Weird" Al was the first concert I ever went to, but that was more of a function of him being one of the only artists to go to Juneau, AK.)

Nirvana and Pearl Jam helped take me out of dance music radio/MTV hell, but I would have to say the first band that I really got obsessed with was Nine Inch Nails. Started with Pretty Hate Machine freshman year and by the time The Downward Spiral came out a year or two later I was hooked.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:25:41 PM »

KillerBees, saw THE POLICE at the Brendan Byrne Arena (since renamed) when Synchronicity was released.  1983?  I had all their albums...
Bela, love THE BIRTHDAY PARTY.  Youtube for you boob.   TeddyR
Small | Large

I liked BUSH TETRAS around '82; the song here is "Cowboys In Africa" (the video skips a bit at the beginning but clears up in a few moments):
Small | Large

Mofo Rising:  NIN  Thumbup

Small | Large

Anybody remember PETER SCHILLING?   I loved all thos 12 inch singles... mine are mostly long gone... Smile 
I can't stop hunting on YouTube!!! 
KRAFTWERK Tour de France...
Small | Large

Can't show you DOMINATRIX The Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight as it's "flagged" by their User community. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:45:20 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 12:20:01 AM »

AllHallowsDay

I had Synchronicity on vinyl in the days when it was coming out in different colours.  The one I snagged was blue.  I still have it packed away somewhere.  Brilliant album, along with everything else they ever did.

I always thought that the Synchronicity II song was creepy and scary.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 08:37:50 AM »

The first album I ever owned was The Archies, but that was one my parents bought for me. The first albums I bought were by Christian artists like Amy Grant, Dallas Holm, The Imperials, etc. The first secular group I obsessed over would probably have been They Might Be Giants. When I finally decided to start buying CDs (I was convinced for a long time that they would never overtake vinyl), the first two CDs I bought were Genesis and a Hank Williams, Sr., greatest hits disk. My music collection now consists largely of '30s and '40s artists, much as my movie collection consists of many black and white films. Seems I only advance my technology so I can go back further in time...

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Who was your first musical love? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.