Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:45:05 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Who made that noise? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who made that noise?  (Read 13704 times)
Menard
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »

Presently, the radio is playing Tom Jones' She's a Lady.

The radio I have playing is an older GE 7 Band model from the early 80s; complete with a single speaker.

(Not my picture, but the radio in the picture is mine; I have two of these.)

I usually have my radio set to the oldies station; 60s and 70s pop/rock.

With so many cheap boomboxes now available, why use an old mono radio?

I collect multi-band and shortwave radios, so having this particular model was not something I went shopping for or had to check out. As I get radios, and if they work, I will check them out and if I like it I will use it, within reason.

I have a Hanimex Multi-band from the late 70s that actually sounds better than the GE, despite a smaller speaker, and even with the antenna completely retracted it will pick up many of the local and regional stations.

(Not mine. My Hanimex is in much better condition.)

The reason I don't use the Hanimex is simply because it is hard to find and more of a collectible, whereas the GE is relative easy to find, and cheap.

But, I am getting off the subject.

I use an older style mono radio for my background music/noise.

What do you use?

A radio, MP3 player, boombox, stereo, or even your computer?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »

My background noise is my computer.  Though I have some problems managing mixes since switching to Vista, I have hundreds of CDs uploaded (I'm uploading some right now...)  I also have a China-made "Spirit of St. Louis" CD, tape, record-player and radio, a gift to me which I use maybe once a year to play vinyl I haven't replaced in some other medium. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »

I usually just have the TV on to whatever channel had something vaguely interesting on a couple of hours ago.  My project for the summer is to upgrade my surround sound system.  I've currently got a 10+ year old Sony receiver that only does Dolby Pro Logic (4 channel surround, no subwoofer and both surround speakers get the same signal).  I've got my eye on a lower priced Onkyo receiver that does 7.1 surround sound.  My biggest gripe is that my receiver doesn't allow me to balance the sound between the surround speakers, and the right one is farther away than the left one, so the left one is far more prominent.  It bugs the living hell out of me.  Then I'll get a subwoofer, which I'm sure will be really popular with everyone else living in the house  TeddyR 

One thing I'd really like to do is get one of those Super Audio CD or DVD audio players.  They're a couple of competing formats in the 5.1 audio war.  Unfortunately 5.1 audio has become a "niche market", meaning very few people are interested in it.  They take albums and professionally remix them into 5.1 surround sound in the studio.  The idea sounds magnificent to me.  I was watching The Shaft the other night, and at the end they played Aerosmith's Love in an Elevator.  I'm not a fan of Aerosmith's new stuff, but remixed in 5.1, it was freakin' amazing.  The balance between the front and surround speakers made it sound as if my entire left and right walls were were huge 15' X 7' speakers.  Guitars coming fom here, guitars coming from there, Amazing!  I'm hoping that if i get an honest-to-goodness 5.1 surround setup, maybe my wife would buy me a player for Christmas  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »

I listen to music through my computer, as well.  I have a pair of halfway decent Creative speakers with a subwoofer and everything, but nothing special.

I have a fairly nice set of Bose speakers, but since my last move several months ago I haven't bothered to connect them to my CD player and tuner.  (I never listen to the radio anyway, except in the car). 

MP3s are just easier to manage for me than physical CDs or vinyl.  I'm a music lover, but not really an audiophile. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »

I have an SR(?) Clock radio/cassette player with one speaker. It's about a fooot long,six inches high and six inches wide.I also haver a cheapo CD player...the kind you get from a dollar store. I usually listen to the oldie station that plays 50's sixties,and 70's music. 

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Menard
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »

Yarghh...baseball season.

The oldies station also doubles as a Reds station. Presently there is a game on. Bluesad

I have a cheap cd player presently playing a mellow 70s cd for a fill-in.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »

Most of the farmers around here listen to the ball games on the radio...but I don't think they really listen to it. It seems like they just like it as backround noise when they're sitting around in the barn or on the picnic table and getting drunk. But the Tigers are doing ok this year...so maybe it's a little more interesting for once.  Lookingup

But I like hanging out with old farmers (at least I used to....don't go no where no mo' lately) ....old Russian and Polocks and Norweigians ( thats me)...with lotsa old tales to tell.  Drink

Oh...by the way Menard....LOVE the old & Band Radio!!! I like old radios too.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:14:05 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Menard
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:52:10 PM »

Oh...by the way Menard....LOVE the old & Band Radio!!! I like old radios too.

The Hanimex, the reason for the better sound and reception, is a touring style radio; meaning that it can also be used as a car radio with its bracket, or removed and carried as a portable with batteries.

Telefunken made some of the best touring radios; wish I could afford one as they can easily bring $100 to $200 on eBay, if they are a really nice model.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 11:22:16 PM »

My Dad used to work for the Bank...he would fix up old houses that the bank would repossesse(Mother F2cker! HOW come I cant' spell this word!)-he was a housepainter-handyman. Sometimes he would bring home old tube radios from the thirties and forties. Been hooked on old radios since! I actually PREFER the tiny radio speakers and sound than a  stereo systym....guess it's a nostalgic thing...I dunno....

I also like to just sit around and play with multi-bamd radios...just to see what I can pull in....I like to sit on the roof of my garage and goof with an old radio....I'm a weirdo,I guess...
[/quote]

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 11:26:40 PM »

My Dad used to ...fix up old houses that the bank would repossesse(Mother F2cker! HOW come I cant' spell this word!)-he was a housepainter-handyman. Sometimes he would bring home old tube radios from the thirties and forties.
Sounds a lot like my Dad, except he was a teacher who did his house refurbishing on weekends, usually with me in tow (slave labor).  My Dad brought home stereo consoles, TVs, and vacuum cleaners...!!   Thumbup
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:29:40 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Menard
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 11:47:50 PM »

I like some of the old tube styles myself.

For shortwave, I like a lot of the Hallicrafters models and I am determined to eventually get a nice Zenith Transoceanic.

Two styles of old tube radios I like are tombstone and empire. I have a tombstone replica with a cassette player. I like to listen to OTR cassettes on it as it lends it some atmosphere listing to those old shows.

Most of my radios are multi-bands from the late 60s through the 70s.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 11:50:23 PM »

My Dad used to ...fix up old houses that the bank would repossesse(Mother F2cker! HOW come I cant' spell this word!)-he was a housepainter-handyman. Sometimes he would bring home old tube radios from the thirties and forties.
Sounds a lot like my Dad, except he was a teacher who did his house refurbishing on weekends, usually with me in tow (slave labor).  My Dad brought home stereo consoles, TVs, and vacuum cleaners...!!   Thumbup

Kids don't know what their missing....there's a special joy of sitting outside with an old radio pulling in ham operators and truckdrivers...AM radio stations and -at the time in the 70's-stuff like the KING BISCUIT FLOUR HOUR and Dr.DEMENTO on the cooler FM stations!

Sigh...to have them still...

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 11:54:59 PM »

I like some of the old tube styles myself.

For shortwave, I like a lot of the Hallicrafters models and I am determined to eventually get a nice Zenith Transoceanic.

Two styles of old tube radios I like are tombstone and empire. I have a tombstone replica with a cassette player. I like to listen to OTR cassettes on it as it lends it some atmosphere listing to those old shows.

Most of my radios are multi-bands from the late 60s through the 70s.

They are great! But I'll tell ya what...Iv've had some shocking  experiances with them by stickin' a screw driver where it don' belong!!! BounceGiggle

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 11:46:11 PM »

I used to turn the telly on when I got up in the morning, but the morning shows and their unnecessarily hilarity got to me after a while.  Nobody needs to be THAT "up" first thing in the morning.

The telly is usually on when I get home because my son watches dvds after school.  If I've had a hard day and I can't stand the noise of the world, I turn off the tv and he watches it in his bedroom. 

Lately I'm finding that I can't handle too much noise (it's true, I'm turning into a Grumpy Old Woman).  I only have the telly and a dvd player these days.  I don't have a stereo, my discman has finally died after 7 years of loyal service and my clock radio beside my bed wakes me up the classical music station and is only on in the morning.  I don't think I could survive listening to Britney or Christina first thing in the morning.

So, who made that noise?  Basically just the traffic down on the main road these days.  It's just about all I can handle.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 11:48:43 PM »

I usualy have my Ipod hooked up to some speakers in my room playing. I have a cd player, but sometimes it doesnt work. I also have a tape player, but I have very few decent tapes.

heres what my tape player looks like. groovy, eh?

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Who made that noise? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.