Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:10:30 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Wii? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Wii?  (Read 11096 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 15, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »

A buddy of mine has ecome a Wii fanatic, and is trying to sell me on one.  What do the folks here think?   I loved Mario Kart and Smash Bros in their earler incarnations.  So thats a huge selling point for me.  But I think the grown-up genres are lacking, I have yet to see anything shoorter or adventure worth buying?  Anyone more up-to-date than me have an opinion?
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »

Despite the nay-sayers of the world wide web who have claimed there are no good Wii titles, I've owned the system from day one and I've got probably 20 or so titles on it.

If you're into racing, I recommend the new Mario Kart as well as Excite Truck. Both are a lot of fun... unless you're more a Gran Turismo "simulation" type of driver, in which case never mind.

If you're into adventure, go for Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and No More Heroes. The first is classic Zelda fun and the second is like Grand Theft Auto Lite, but with a whole lot of whacked out Japanese craziness added in.

If you're looking for platforming, definitely check out Super Mario Galaxy and Zack & Wiki.

If you're looking for first person shooting fun, pick up Metroid Prime 3 and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.

For some "pick up and play" arcade style fun, check out Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training (comes free with the Wii zapper gun shell) or slash your sword in Dragon Quest Swords.

And if you're looking for party games, there's a plethora of mini-game titles like Warioware, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, Mario Party 8, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Carnival Games, etc.

Other games on the system I've enjoyed so far: Elebits, The Godfather: Black Hand Edition, Resident Evil 4, and of course Super Smash Bros. MeleeTeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »

I've had a Wii for about six months or so now, and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. I bought it for the adventure titles like Zelda and for the new controller that was supposed to make me a little more active (that part didn't work out quite so well; one of the first things I figured out was how to manipulate the remote with very little actual movement). Many good titles have been mentioned already, and I am looking forward to the new Star Wars game (The Force Unleashed), where you get to use the remote like a light saber. I hope it's as good as it sounds like it could be. I'm not that avid of a gamer, so I'm probably ignorant of a good many games for the other platforms, but the Wii is a lot of fun.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »

Interesting news if you haven't already heard Derf, it's been announced that there will be a Sam & Max game for the Wii sometime in the future too, possibly before the end of the year.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »

There's a Bass Fishing game that's quite fun, as well as a game called Summer Sports:Paradise Island.  "Summer Sports" has 7 different sports to play: Badmintion, volleyball, miniature golf, horse shoes, Lawn Darts, Basketball, and Croquet.  Already mentioned above, but I'd recommend Mario Kart Wii and Mario and Sonic at The Olympic Games.

One I'm most looking forward to is the new Ghostbusters game.  It's on all systems, but with the Wiimote, it should be extra fun. Thumbup

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »

I've considered getting the Wii since my former boss has one and loves it.  There are just a few problems that have kept me from getting it.

1) Still too expensive.
2) Not enough good 3rd party games.  While I wouldn't mind playing the 1st part games from Nintendo, a system can't support itself just on 1st party games.
3) Not enough of them around in the area to get (I live near Harrisburg PA, and I've only seen a few places here and there that have them but it's usually the day after a place has them that I find out.)

AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »

1) Still too expensive.

Until demand goes down, Nintendo said they won't be issuing any kind of price drop. Given that it's still the cheapest system on the market, all the more reason Big N won't be worrying about lowering prices for a while.

2) Not enough good 3rd party games.  While I wouldn't mind playing the 1st part games from Nintendo, a system can't support itself just on 1st party games.

I don't know if it's so much a problem of being not enough good 3rd party games, but more a problem of the bad 3rd party games saturating the shelves. Like I said before, I really enjoyed No More Heroes, Rayman Raving Rabbids, The Godfather, Trauma Center, Zack & Wiki, Elebits, Dragon Quest Swords, Guitar Hero III, and both current Resident Evil titles. Though I haven't picked them up yet, I've heard that Boom Blox, Scarface,  the Madden NFL games, SSX Blur, MLB Power Pros, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Endless Ocean, and the remakes of Okami and Bully: Scholarship Edition are each worth a buy. They all scored an 8.0 or higher on IGN.com. Additionally, the new original content 3rd party games being made available through Nintendo's WiiWare service have been getting good reviews, especially LostWinds which is said to be a better game than most titles that cost 4 times as much.

3) Not enough of them around in the area to get (I live near Harrisburg PA, and I've only seen a few places here and there that have them but it's usually the day after a place has them that I find out.)

The only ways to solve that problem are to get a job with a retail store (or make friends with someone who works there), or prod the people in the electronics department once or twice a week till they know when the next shipment comes in. Keep in mind though that this usually requires that you show up a few hours before the store opens and wait in line outside. Just make sure you bring a comfortable chair and dress for the weather... trust me. Wink

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:17:10 AM by AnubisVonMojo » Logged

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 10:42:01 AM »

Anubis, I'm not really saying that ALL 3rd party games are bad.  I know there are some good ones out there, I've read the reviews as well for the good games, and helped my former boss with some good games, but once it becomes more often that bad games are not released then I'll consider getting the Wii.

I would like to get a new game system, but at my job we got a switch on when we get paid (Bi-weekly to weekly) so right now it's harder for me save money, plus I need to get my medical bills out of the way first. 

DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »

I have a Wii and an Xbox 360, the Wii is definitely the more 'fun' of the two, simple and straightforward for a good time, while the 360 is more about the pretty graphics and all. I'd reccomend one, though, because in this day and age of super-hardcore videogames, the Wii is a refreshing reminder of back when we were playing with NES Zappers and Power Gloves for however long or short we wanted to.

I thought Mario Kart Wii was the best Mario Kart yet, and I've played all of them (and owned 3), though some people would disagree because of the blue shell evilness and some people don't like the steering and use a GameCube pad (boring!!). Super Smash Bros. Brawl isn't out where I am yet but I've heard that it's the best Smash Bros. yet as well. I'd also say that Twilight Princess is one of the best Zeldas, and Metroid Prime 3 the best Metroid, you can play GameCube games on it, and if you go online you can download NES, SNES and N64 games (as well as Mega Drive and other consoles), so if you are a Nintendo fan or have Nintendo related nostalgia like myself, the Wii is perfect, really.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »

Thanks guys!  Now I need to convince my wife that we MUST have a Wii.  She's not really pro-gaming, she doesn't see a real difference between Halo 3 and PacMan, and thats hard to argue with.  I think a Wii would be good as she could do something more "real" and lighthearted.
=Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »

Thanks guys!  Now I need to convince my wife that we MUST have a Wii.  She's not really pro-gaming, she doesn't see a real difference between Halo 3 and PacMan, and thats hard to argue with.  I think a Wii would be good as she could do something more "real" and lighthearted.
=Ed

If she hasn't played Wii Sports yet, introduce her. Everybody I've introduced it to immediately became obsessed with the bowling game. Even my parents, who haven't played video games since Atari, considered buying a Wii after that. TeddyR

Simpson, I wasn't trying to make it sound like you didn't know what you were talking about or anything, I was just saying that over the last two years a sizable selection of good 3rd party games have indeed come out. Granted, they're still outnumbered by the crappy ones and they always will be so long as development kits for Wii titles are only $20K and any crappy publisher with a decent line of credit will be able to crap out another one, but I think there are enough good 3rd party titles out there that people can stop saying there aren't enough of them out there.

Speaking of which, I just saw a trailer for a new Sega title coming out from the studio behind Viewtiful Joe (which I'd like to see get a new sequel, damn it!) called MadWorld.
Extremely Bloody Trailer Goes Here Small | Large
Buggedout

AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »

Is there really any system where the good 3rd party titles outweigh the bad though? Even on PS3 and 360, where the dev kits are much pricier I think the crap still outweighs the good. Even the PS2 has gotten that way. I think the Gamecube might have managed a fair balance, but that's probably due to crappy third party titles not being able to work with mini-discs as a format...

Torgo

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »

2) Not enough good 3rd party games. 

This is a problem that has plagued the big N on the home console front since the Nintendo 64. While their 1st party titles are usually great, there's usually hardly any 3rd party titles worth mentioning. This was what hurt the Gamecube.  What's odd, though, is that their handheld systems from the monochrome gameboy up to the DS have always had tremendous 3rd party support. I wonder why they can't get them to develop for the more recent home systems. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »

Interesting news if you haven't already heard Derf, it's been announced that there will be a Sam & Max game for the Wii sometime in the future too, possibly before the end of the year.  TeddyR

I hadn't heard that. I played Sam & Max Hit the Road many moons ago and loved it. I tried the demo for some of the newer stuff, and while I still love the characters, the newer online games I've seen just don't seem as fun to me. Some kind of spark is missing. But I'll have to at least rent it to see what they've done. Thanks for the info!

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 09:21:58 PM »

My mom plays the Wii more than I do.  I like it, though.  Very addicting, especially the sports games.  Love the Wii Sports, especially the boxing.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Wii? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.