Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:26:12 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615593 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #990 on: June 24, 2021, 08:55:09 AM »

THE SPARKS BROTHERS: Edgar Wright's nearly exhaustive documentary on the eccentric cult pop band featuring the Mael brothers, whose career is now going into it's sixth decade. The brothers' mystique and image is more interesting than the actual music (sorry, Sparks fans), and although two-and-a-quarter hours is a little long for casual fans, I'd rather watch this energetic doc than listen to the unaccompanied albums (again, sorry Sparks fans). 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #991 on: July 01, 2021, 11:20:51 AM »

ZOLA: Based on an infamous Twitter thread, this movie tells the story of a stripper's ill-fated "ho trip" to Florida with a dancer she just met and a couple of her male friends. Some great performances, especially by the two female leads (Taylour Paige and Riley Keough), but pretty damn sleazy for an art film. It may found a cliche of the near-future: the Twitter thread was better. 3/5.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #992 on: July 01, 2021, 01:23:34 PM »

I won (I believe) an IMAX experience with one of our local cinema chains Ster-Kinekor and was hoping to see either F9 or Black Widow but then we went into Level 4 lockdown and all cinemas had to close. Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #993 on: July 06, 2021, 09:24:31 AM »

Once again, I was in the theater alone, this time for

SUMMER OF SOUL (...OR, WHEN THE REVOLUTION COULD NOT BE TELEVISED): Never before seen performances from 1969's Harlem Cultural Festival (aka "the black Woodstock"). The lineup was actually better than Woodstock (although to be fair, it was spread out over 6 weeks): young Stevie Wonder, old Mahalia Jackson, B.B. King, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Sly and the Family Stone, Nina Simone... and that's just a small taste of the onstage talent. In between acts, director Questlove does an excellent job of providing historical context of 1969 Harlem, where each performer sat on their career arc, and, most meaningfully, what it meant to the attendees to (finally) celebrate black culture on an epic scale. 4.5/5. Best seen on the big screen, but it is screening on Hulu.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #994 on: July 06, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »

^I really need to see this.
The Revolution Will Not be Televised.
I have that on a t shirt with Gil Scott Heron on the front I bought some years back.

I lived in the Bronx- I never got in a fight or got in trouble in the Bronx in the late 70's early 80's. Even with the place burning down around.

Small | Large

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 06:23:37 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #995 on: July 06, 2021, 11:12:00 AM »

I have that on a t shirt with Gil Scott Heron on the front I bought some years back.

I lived here in the Bronx- I never got in a fight or got in trouble in the Bronx in the late 70's early 80's. Even with the place burning down around.

http://youtu.be/EdhoX1Xu6ZI

I got an enquiry regarding Gill Scott Heron about a year or so ago: this could probably relate to this, I don't know.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #996 on: July 06, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »

I lived here in the Bronx- I never got in a fight or got in trouble in the Bronx in the late 70's early 80's. Even with the place burning down around.

http://youtu.be/EdhoX1Xu6ZI

I got an enquiry regarding Gill Scott Heron about a year or so ago: this could probably relate to this, I don't know.

There was a short bit with Hugh Masakela.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #997 on: July 06, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »

...I got an enquiry regarding Gill Scott Heron about a year or so ago: this could probably relate to this, I don't know.

Found footage from fifty years ago...! 

Small | Large

https://youtu.be/U1Eg-vtSABE
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:56:55 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #998 on: July 09, 2021, 03:05:56 PM »

Once again, I was in the theater alone, this time for

SUMMER OF SOUL (...OR, WHEN THE REVOLUTION COULD NOT BE TELEVISED): Never before seen performances from 1969's Harlem Cultural Festival (aka "the black Woodstock"). The lineup was actually better than Woodstock (although to be fair, it was spread out over 6 weeks): young Stevie Wonder, old Mahalia Jackson, B.B. King, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Sly and the Family Stone, Nina Simone... and that's just a small taste of the onstage talent. In between acts, director Questlove does an excellent job of providing historical context of 1969 Harlem, where each performer sat on their career arc, and, most meaningfully, what it meant to the attendees to (finally) celebrate black culture on an epic scale. 4.5/5. Best seen on the big screen, but it is screening on Hulu.

I watched it today. Where the f**k was Gil Scott Heron? His song is in the trailer, as is in the title. He is nowhere to be seen. All the artists were fine. But I was real p**sed Gil Scott Heron was not in it.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #999 on: July 12, 2021, 06:48:35 PM »

BLACK WIDOW(2021): finally released solo outing for Avenger Natasha Romanoff aka the Black Widow(Scarlett Johansson), nice mix of spy thriller/comic book storylines and special effects and action scenes are fantastic! This would certainly qualify for a sequel if Marvel hadnt killed off the character in AVENGERS: ENDGAME(2019)..

Still maybe another tale set in the past.. Smile
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1000 on: July 20, 2021, 08:57:25 AM »

PIG: A truffle-hunting hermit goes to the big city (Portland) in search of his stolen pig. I would not have been nearly as excited to see this if it had been anyone but Nicolas Cage in the lead; this deep character study with mild action and mystery elements represents a critical comeback for Cage, or at least a reminder that the former Oscar winner is still capable of more than just hamming it up in direct-to-streaming releases. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1001 on: August 25, 2021, 08:47:12 AM »

THE SUICIDE SQUAD (2021): The U.S. government secretly offers supervillains a ten-year reduction in sentence if they go on a mission in to destroy a weapon of mass destruction in an unstable banana republic. Taking the phrase "cartoonish violence" as his inspiration, James Gunn sends Harley Quinn and a bunch of bums you've (hopefully) never heard of off on an orgy of wisecracks and stylish mass murder. 3.5/5.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1002 on: August 25, 2021, 09:55:40 AM »

Nice: I had the privilege of meeting him about a year before he passed. My work mentor asked me if I wanted to meet him and I went "Nahh" and winked.  TeddyR

Trevor [walks up, hand outstretched to him] "Mr Masekela, it's a honour to meet you, my name's Trevor and welcome here."
HM [looks at my outstretched hand and then up at me] "I don't shake hands."
Trevor:  Buggedout Oops.
HM: [gives me a bear hug]
Trevor:  TeddyR TeddyR Wow.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1003 on: August 25, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »

Nice: I had the privilege of meeting him about a year before he passed. My work mentor asked me if I wanted to meet him and I went "Nahh" and winked.  TeddyR

Trevor [walks up, hand outstretched to him] "Mr Masekela, it's a honour to meet you, my name's Trevor and welcome here."
HM [looks at my outstretched hand and then up at me] "I don't shake hands."
Trevor:  Buggedout Oops.
HM: [gives me a bear hug]
Trevor:  TeddyR TeddyR Wow.

Cool story!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1004 on: September 01, 2021, 09:12:41 AM »

CODA: The title stands for "Children of Deaf Adults." High school senior Ruby, the only person in her family who can hear, struggles to balance her obligation to translate for her family's fishing business with her interest in pursuing a career in music. Predictable coming of age storyline, suitably heartwarming, and  the script requires Ruby to provide embarrassing translations for her bawdy father regularly enough to keep you chuckling. 3/5.

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.