Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:29:04 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Space Mutiny « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Space Mutiny  (Read 60107 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 13, 2009, 08:09:24 PM »

There are films that sound good but suck, cheap flicks that are imitations of better efforts, and plain old bad movies, and then there are movies that are so incredibly awful that you ask, "What were these idiots thinking?"

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »

This is one of my favorite Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes.

I managed to get a copy of the actual original uncut movie itself in a Sci-Fi movie pack in a bargain bin.  It's one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies that I've ever seen.  The Kalgan villain is memorable for all of the wrong reasons.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:44:13 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »

Ah yes, I remember this one quite clearly from the Mystery Science Theater episode.  Every good episode, bad movie in general.  I would give this one a 2 slime rating, but that's because of the awfully cheesy special effects and the very amusing chase sequences in the floor buffer machines.  Those just make me laugh myself to tears.

Also, the lady playing Lea Jansen is obviously way too old for that part.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Scott M.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »

I remember seeing this movie.  It was hilarious.  The sets were awesome.  Especially when they're filmed in the old abandoned factory.  I remember one scene when they were supposed to be in the starship's engine room and in the background, there was a broken window with the sky and clouds visible beyond.
Baconhed
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:56:26 PM »

"like a truckload of fake afros caught in a tornado."...

WOW.  That's hilarious, Andrew.  I can't wait to find an excuse to use that in a sentence.  I must now go out and set up scenarios where people and/or things scatter in all directions.  

Thanks for the website.  Always fun.
Bryan
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 03:16:14 AM »

Yes, most excellently bad film.  Loved the MST3K version just for the various nick-names of "Buff Muscles", "Chester Manwich" and such.  Would have been so much better if all the women were replaced with cute young things! 

And nice quote from "Hitchhiker's Guide".
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:27:27 AM »

One of my favorite MST3K movies of all time! 

Is there a DVD with the uncut version?  I see the Echo Bridge DVD is a couple minutes shorter than the VHS, and I imagine the MST3K one is cut, being a TV show.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
DavidFullam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:01:09 AM »

About James Ryan who played Macphearson, if you haven't already, see if you can track down his martial arts films Kill or Be Killed and Kill and Kill Again.
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »

AH-HAHAHAHAHA!!
Oh (Sniff) Oh thats funny...Lord I love the MST3K of this negitive space wedgie...Yee-hehehe!
And I gotta say, the Hitchhikers quoting fit perfectly. Whio knew the Southern Star was from Golgofrigum?
Another classic, Andrew!
"Railing kills!"
"Slab McHugelarg...Beef Hardchunk...Drake Tungston..."

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »

This film was made by a man of vision, even if that vision was obstructed by cataracts and hallucinations of old television shows and evil carnival rides  BounceGiggle. As a MST3K episode it stands among giants but I have never experienced it sans robots. It sounds like the yuks are ten-fold!

"Shuttlecraft identified as "cute", sir."

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »

I had to check to see whether this film actually had a budget, as it is one of the cheapest looking films I've ever seen, and I've seen some cheap looking ones. It it did, I couldn't find out what it was.

This may not have done much for Reb Brown's film career, but it did wonderful things for his personal life, as he met his future wife, to whom he's still married, while making this film.

And maybe Trevor would like to comment on it, as it is apparently a joint South African-American production made in South Africa.
Cindylover1969
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:36:30 PM »

maybe Trevor would like to comment on it, as it is apparently a joint South African-American production made in South Africa.

For some reason its South African connections are left off the credits. That happened a lot with movies made in the late '70s/'80s (see also Alien From L.A. , Prisoners of the Lost Universe, Golden Rendezvous, Hellgate, American Kickboxer 1, and so on). I can't imagine why. <Doofenschmirtz from Phineas and Ferb>And by "can't imagine" I mean "thanks to the whole apartheid thing I can see"!</Doofenschmirtz from Phineas and Ferb/>

This is the only time I will ever suggest anybody see American Kickboxer 1, by the way (a three-time offender under truth in advertising laws - there was never a sequel, the kickboxing is appalling, and the cast sounds about as American as Laetitia Casta.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »

About James Ryan who played Macphearson, if you haven't already, see if you can track down his martial arts films Kill or Be Killed and Kill and Kill Again

James is a good friend of mine (as was the late Ivan Hall who directed these two) and those two films are safely in the care of the place I work for. I know Kill & Kill Again is freely available on DVD locally but I'm not sure about Kill or Be Killed a.k.a. Karate Olympia. The SA company MNet owns rights to both these films which means that sooner or later, DVDs will be available.

And maybe Trevor would like to comment on it, as it is apparently a joint South African-American production made in South Africa.

Buggedout I will cheerfully admit that I know one of the producers, the DP of the film and the director as well so I am guilty by association, I suppose, BSK. It is also one of the few South African films that I haven't seen.

Apologies for what is coming next but I hate being raked over the coals for my country's past!!!!

"thanks to the whole apartheid thing I can see"!</

Hatred Oh for f***'s sake..... here we go again!! Here we are, fifteen years out of the claws of an oppressive regime and people STILL refer to the supposedly unique political problems that South Africa had since 1948. Wake up or STFU please!!!!!  Hatred
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:49:17 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »

I first saw this by accident on an independent TV station at 4 AM in the morning when I was suffering from insomnia.  I love the MST3K version most people are familiar with, but there's no experience like discovering a movie like this completely by accident, coming into it with no expectations whatsoever and feeling your jaw drop as you watch the Bellerians dance in front of those oh-so-mystical-and-futuristic electric plasma globes from Spencer's Gifts. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »

Apparently not only bricks were used in the construction of the ship, but they must be traveling near a large star, because there's a lot of light coming through those garage door windows, eh,  I mean the view ports.  

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Space Mutiny « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.