Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:07:44 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I've finally been able to get back to writing my novel. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I've finally been able to get back to writing my novel.  (Read 4351 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 28, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »

I got curious about how many pages it would be in paperback form.  According to the "industry standard" of 250 words per page ... my novel is 500 pages long!  It's not even done yet!

Holy balls!   Buggedout

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
MilkManPictures
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:43:49 PM »

Sorry if you have covered this somewhere else but what is your novel about?
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »

Is there a character called Doggett ?
Does he get the girl ?

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
MilkManPictures
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »

Hey... I want the girl!!!
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »

It's about an English expatriate in Dynastic China who meets a blind street musician and decides to take her in.  Lots of horrible things happen to them.

It needs some rather heavy rewriting but I need to get it finished first.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »

It's about an English expatriate in Dynastic China who meets a blind street musician and decides to take her in.  Lots of horrible things happen to them.

It needs some rather heavy rewriting but I need to get it finished first.

I'm English !!

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »

Good luck, hang in there!  I have started several novels but never had the gumption to complete one.  Short stories are hard enough. 

You're absolutely right, don't worry about rewriting yet, that's the biggest novel-killer there is.  I read an excellent motivational hint: after outlining, you should write the last chapter of the novel first, then the first chapter, then the midpoint climax.  Then fill in the rest. That skeleton narrative gives you the sense that you have something relatively complete, so you're less willing to abandon the project if you get stuck.  Good luck!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »

Whatever you do, don't title it "Faster Than The Speed Of Love". I've heard that's the death-kiss.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:47 AM »

Sorry but this is the first thing that popped into my head...
Small | Large

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Cthulhu

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »

That great! Could you tell us what it's about? And don't worry about it's lenght (wait..that didn't sound right). If it will be too long,then you can still cut out the filler.
akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »

Update:

I got it the first draft finished.  Cheers

Also, I need some advice.

The major storyline of this book is, basically, a romance between a 30 year old man and a 14 year old girl.

Bear with me ...

I wrote her that young because I thought the story worked out better that way.  Some of the things that happen, it just seemed to work out better with her that young.  Besides, this is feudal China (or a vague approximation thereof), and thirteen was considered marrying age so far as my research has led me to believe.  The age difference also fit in with my running theme of them both facing down nearly impossible odds together.

They don't become a couple all at once, they grow into it over time, especially after they go through something very traumatic together.  There's no explicit sexual content between them, in fact I never acknowledge it directly, but it is plain that their relationship has progressed to that somewhat past the halfway point of the story.  I treat it just like a normal relationship.

I'm not out to be controversial, I honestly think the story works better with her being that age.

So I'd just like to get some thoughts on that.  Should I make her older?  Leave her the same age but add some lines about them remaining celibate until she is reunited with her family and can get permission to marry?  Keep it as is?

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »

I would keep it as it is but emphasize that this is the normal marrying age at that time in that culture.  People love to explore cultural differences in literature. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

Follow your instincts, akiratubo, that way whatever happens the story is yours and yours alone. Congratulations on your achievement and best of luck with whatever direction you choose to take it.

Also if this ever applies at some future date, remember, most agents are failed writers and many of them have mean streaks. As a rule don't take them too seriously. If they could write better than you then they'd be the one with the marketable manuscript. (This means you, Rothman, lol.)

Congrats again!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I've finally been able to get back to writing my novel. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.