Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:05 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  I Spy « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I Spy  (Read 3564 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: November 05, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »

First there was RTN (Retro Tv Network), then Ch. 49 became This channel (that's the name This, as is this is my movie channel) that or this didn't last long.  Now it's something called Tuff TV. Like RTN they show old TV shows and movies, plus Universal Wrestling from the 70's and stock car racing from the 70's.

I occasionally watch The Rifleman and Cisco Kid. But I most enjoy that jewel of show from the 60's  I Spy, which features Robert Culp and Bill Cosby as secret agents working for the Pentagon.  They travel the world as tennis pro Kelly Robinson and his trainer Alexander Scott.

This made Bill Cosby the first African American in a lead role in a network TV series. His race is never mentioned in any of the episodes and in fact he is brains of the duo. Culp's character is the typical spy stereotype of the 60's, he drinks smokes, and is a womanizer.  Cosby's character on the other hand is Rhodes Scholar and shares none of his partner's vices.

The episodes were typically serious, except for the banter between the two leads.  The show was actually shot in various locations around the world (Tokyo, Hong Kong, Barcelona, etc.)  We watched it regularly when I was a kid and I'm glad to have found it again.  I might even consider getting it on DVD, so I can see it with a decent picture.

Small | Large

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 04:28:57 PM »

I watched this when I was a kid, too.  Then, in the 1980s, when I was in my 20s, I got chicken pox.  One night when I was home waiting for the pox to clear up I had insomnia.  I remember watching reruns of I SPY and HAWAII FIVE-0 on late-night network TV.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »

Has anybody seen the second season episode with Boris Karloff called "Mainly on the Plains?" That was the first episode of "I Spy" I ever saw and it made me a fan of the show for life. Karloff plays a character named Don Ernesto Silvando, but he thinks he's really Don Quixote. After over forty years, I still remember how funny that episode was.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:38:32 PM »

I watched it in late-night reruns in the 90s. I'd been aware of the show for a while, and had to check it out. I've been a fan of Cosby's comedy since I was a kid, and I've also gained a lot of respect for him as an adult, so it was a must-see.

I liked it. I didn't see many episodes, but it was entertaining, and it seemed like a pretty intelligent show for the time. Very progressive, for sure, with the casting of Cosby in a very positive role, and the fact that it was never considered worth mentioning. But that's usually the way Cosby does things. On any show he's done, people are people, and it never becomes about race.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
peter johnson

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:18:37 AM »

I used to love Bill and everything he ever did.
Once Upon a Time, I brought him his Sunday paper.  1975.  Ron Rawon Productions.
peter who?/denny eh

I have no idea what this means.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »

I watched several episodes on cable several years ago.  I didn't care for most of them.  The show seemed more like a travelogue than an actual story.  It would actually make a good show for the Travel Channel.  There were a couple of really good episodes though.  There's one that stars Barbara Steele.  I actually bought the DVD of that one.
There's another entertaining one with a good story that has a Russian spy played by the guy who played Harry Mudd from Star Trek.

If you want to see a really good spy show, check out Danger Man aka Secret Agent.  It's way better than I Spy, in my opinion.  Danger Man also has an episode with Barbara Steele.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:54:59 PM by the ghoul » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  I Spy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.