Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:00:20 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  $$ is a bummer « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $$ is a bummer  (Read 5760 times)
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« on: November 20, 2009, 03:48:00 AM »

Just thinking out loud.  I miss the time when I (we-me and hubby) had a little bit of money.  We weren't rich mind you, but we weren't living week to week either.  I miss not having to stress about how the mortgage will be paid this month (thankfully, Nov. is paid, now Dec. is looming).  Not whining by any means.  I have my health, he has his.  He is employed (many of us are not)  Our daughter is healthy (albeit awake, hence I am here....grrrrr little Sera! go to sleep!) My stepkids are healthy and we have a roof over our heads and food to eat, even have enough for presents for christmas.  Lot of families are MUCH worse off, I know that. 

Being squeezed for every penny in this recession is horrible.  Every fee you can think of has gone up, except the hubby's pay.  We haven't been on vacation in two years, and its rough to see all the opulance on tv (MTV, why oh why do we put CRIBS on tv at all in these tough times?)  Every other show on the tube (mostly reality or TMZ type shows) are wall to wall with the rich and famous and what they have.  Hey, its the American way to make as much as you can.  So, kudos to the rich for being paid, but why does it have to be front and center for me to see everyday?

What was the point of this?  I don't know just thinking is all.  Hopefully 2010 will be better, for all of us. 

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »

I have been pretty much a "live for today" free spender all my life.  However, I've had to cut back quite a bit in recent months.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:27:17 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:20:37 PM »

Yes indeed Paula, I can relate.  My wife stays home with our kids because her working would pay for daycare alone so in our opinion, whats the point of her working right now.  I have a job I'm fortunate for which pays the bills that I enjoy but it really is a paycheck to paycheck situation in my house.   Mix that with sh*t breaking down (cars, fridge, heaters) and we're getting killed with bills.  So IOW, just like you said I am beyond fortunate for what I have yet its been very rough.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »

yep, it sucks. This has been the hardest year for us. I cant wait for 09 to be over with. Its been one step forward, two steps back all.freaking.year.   Hatred  If it wasnt for my sweeping hobby it would be a slim xmas around here this year.

I hope the rest of the year is better for everyone.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »

This is just my opinion from my analysis of the world situation which is I admit imperfect at best but.... I actually think the recession will get worse, the wealth gap will increase and more people will live in poverty, that is the outcome of neo-liberal economic policies the world over. They do not benefit anyone except the top 1%, cause they have the most influence, they set policy cause money talks. And Paula all that s**t on TV is there to make you believe that the fabled "American Dream" has ever been or ever will be a reality for the majority of people, propaganda really, to keep people supporting policies that are actually harmful to everyday working people but helpful to CEO's and shareholders. It's class war through economics. Cheers Rant over BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:25:29 PM by SkullBat308 » Logged

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
Javakoala
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »

This is just my opinion from my analysis of the world situation which is I admit imperfect at best but.... I actually think the recession will get worse, the wealth gap will increase and more people will live in poverty, that is the outcome of neo-liberal economic policies the world over. They do not benefit anyone except the top 1%, cause they have the most influence, they set policy cause money talks. And Paula all that s**t on TV is there to make you believe that the fabled "American Dream" has ever been or ever will be a reality for the majority of people, propaganda really, to keep people supporting policies that are actually harmful to everyday working people but helpful to CEO's and shareholders. It's class war through economics. Cheers Rant over BounceGiggle

Aren't you a slice of sunshine?

Sadly, I agree.  We haven't seen the worst of this yet. I am a Democrat, but I had a bad feeling things were gonna go this route. But, to be realistic, Obama is getting blamed for the carry-over from the last administration's excesses. I hope he is smart enough to balance things out in the next couple of years, but I doubt it.
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 02:14:01 AM »

Aren't you a slice of sunshine?

Sadly, I agree.  We haven't seen the worst of this yet. I am a Democrat, but I had a bad feeling things were gonna go this route. But, to be realistic, Obama is getting blamed for the carry-over from the last administration's excesses. I hope he is smart enough to balance things out in the next couple of years, but I doubt it.

Man there is always hope, and it is definitely not Obamas fault, just like it wasn't Bushs, it goes deeper than one presidential term, it is an accumulation of many different factors and Americas* seemingly unalterable self perceived role as the center of the universe, this goes for other countries as well.

*Government and Industry, not the Citizens, though I'm sure some do.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:21:13 AM by SkullBat308 » Logged

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »

the bailout was for

1. wall street and

2. wall street

we did welfare for the very richest people in the country!!

total insanity
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »

Isn't it though?

It's been a tough year for me too. No splurging big time on Christmas this year. Still looking forwad to it though.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »

I have been pretty mush a "live for today" free spender all my life.  However, I've had to cut back quite a bit in recent months.
I'm the same way and have had to do the same. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »

yep, it sucks. This has been the hardest year for us. I cant wait for 09 to be over with. Its been one step forward, two steps back all.freaking.year.   Hatred  If it wasnt for my sweeping hobby it would be a slim xmas around here this year.
I hope the rest of the year is better for everyone.
This Christmas, try not to fulfill every wish, but choose and select carefully, and take joy in sacrificing for yourself and your spouse.  We're doing without this year as far as presents, which is okay, only children need the wonder of gifts.  I'm old enough to know that that person calling me on the phone, or dropping by, or beside me, or at my elbow, is the only gift I need.   Smile
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:56:12 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:04:40 PM »

I agree, skullbat, except I wouldn't single out "neo-liberals" or any other meaningless political label, because it's really all the same.

I don't think employment figures are ever going to go back up.  We don't manufacture anything anymore, and signing onto the WTO has essentially made it illegal to do anything that would allow us to change that.  We can't continue to employ people forever based on a service- industry-only economy.  The middle class will continue to shrink, and there won't be enough people left who are able to afford the services.  Unemployment will keep rising accordingly.

Here is an interesting story that is all over the internet.  I don't know if it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.  The US has been heading in this direction for quite some time.

FEDS GRANT EMINENT DOMAIN AS COLLATERAL TO CHINA FOR U.S. DEBTS

BEIJING, China -- Sources at the United States Embassy in Beijing China have just CONFIRMED that the United States of America has tendered to China a written agreement which grants to the People's Republic of China, an option to exercise Eminent Domain within the USA, as collateral for China's continued purchase of US Treasury Notes and existing US Currency reserves.

The written agreement was brought to Beijing by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and was formalized and agreed-to during her recent trip to China.

This means that in the event the US Government defaults on its financial obligations to China, the Communist Government of China would be permitted to physically take -- inside the USA -- land, buildings, factories, perhaps even entire cities - to satisfy the financial obligations of the US government.

Put simply, the feds have now actually mortgaged the physical land and property of all citizens and businesses in the United States. They have given to a foreign power, their Constitutional power to "take" all of our property, as actual collateral for continued Chinese funding of US deficit spending and the continued carrying of US national debt.

This is an unimaginable betrayal of every man, woman and child in the USA. An outrage worthy of violent overthrow.

Eminent Domain is the power of government to TAKE private property
for public use without the consent of the property owner. Under our
Constitution, the government can only "take" when providing "just
compensation" for what they've taken.

Who decides what constitutes "just compensation?" The government!

Homeowners who felt the government was not paying them enough for
property in past "takings" have filed lawsuits. In absolutely every such
case, the value placed upon the property by the government was upheld
by the courts.

Our federal government has now granted to China, this power to
"take"our homes and businesses in the event the US Gov't defaults on its
debts. Let's play this out as a worst case scenario. . . .

The US Gov't goes belly-up and China comes in and says, "they owed us
$2 Trillion in Treasury Notes and another $2 Trillion in actual cash
money which is now worthless. We are taking the entire state of Hawaii
and the entire state of California in lieu of this bad debt. "

With the stroke of a Chinese chop stick, Hawaii and California -- all the
land and buildings in those states -- are now owned by China.

The "taking" would be a "valid public use" because it was "taken" in
payment of the public debt!!!!

China could then turn around and declare the value of all that land to be
worth. . . . . I dunno, ten cents on a dollar?

For your $200,000 house, you get a Chinese check for $20,000.

Needless to say, the property owners would go ballistic and demand "just
compensation" for what was taken. Who gets to decide what is "just?"
China! Don't think you got a fair price for what they took? No problem,
sue China.

You'll lose.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:19:17 PM by the ghoul » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:02:09 AM »

I agree, skullbat, except I wouldn't single out "neo-liberals" or any other meaningless political label, because it's really all the same.  I don't think employment figures are ever going to go back up.  We don't manufacture anything anymore, and signing onto the WTO has essentially made it illegal to do anything that would allow us to change that.  We can't continue to employ people forever based on a service- industry-only economy.  The middle class will continue to shrink, and there won't be enough people left who are able to afford the services.  Unemployment will keep rising accordingly.
Here is an interesting story that is all over the internet.  I don't know if it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.  The US has been heading in this direction for quite some time.

FEDS GRANT EMINENT DOMAIN AS COLLATERAL TO CHINA FOR U.S. DEBTS

BEIJING, China -- Sources at the United States Embassy in Beijing China have just CONFIRMED that the United States of America has tendered to China a written agreement which grants to the People's Republic of China, an option to exercise Eminent Domain within the USA, as collateral for China's continued purchase of US Treasury Notes and existing US Currency reserves.

The written agreement was brought to Beijing by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and was formalized and agreed-to during her recent trip to China.

This means that in the event the US Government defaults on its financial obligations to China, the Communist Government of China would be permitted to physically take -- inside the USA -- land, buildings, factories, perhaps even entire cities - to satisfy the financial obligations of the US government.

Put simply, the feds have now actually mortgaged the physical land and property of all citizens and businesses in the United States. They have given to a foreign power, their Constitutional power to "take" all of our property, as actual collateral for continued Chinese funding of US deficit spending and the continued carrying of US national debt.

This is an unimaginable betrayal of every man, woman and child in the USA. An outrage worthy of violent overthrow.

Eminent Domain is the power of government to TAKE private property
for public use without the consent of the property owner. Under our
Constitution, the government can only "take" when providing "just
compensation" for what they've taken.

Who decides what constitutes "just compensation?" The government!

Homeowners who felt the government was not paying them enough for
property in past "takings" have filed lawsuits. In absolutely every such
case, the value placed upon the property by the government was upheld
by the courts.

Our federal government has now granted to China, this power to
"take"our homes and businesses in the event the US Gov't defaults on its
debts. Let's play this out as a worst case scenario. . . .

The US Gov't goes belly-up and China comes in and says, "they owed us
$2 Trillion in Treasury Notes and another $2 Trillion in actual cash
money which is now worthless. We are taking the entire state of Hawaii
and the entire state of California in lieu of this bad debt. "

With the stroke of a Chinese chop stick, Hawaii and California -- all the
land and buildings in those states -- are now owned by China.

The "taking" would be a "valid public use" because it was "taken" in
payment of the public debt!!!!

China could then turn around and declare the value of all that land to be
worth. . . . . I dunno, ten cents on a dollar?

For your $200,000 house, you get a Chinese check for $20,000.

Needless to say, the property owners would go ballistic and demand "just
compensation" for what was taken. Who gets to decide what is "just?"
China! Don't think you got a fair price for what they took? No problem,
sue China.

You'll lose.
Where'd you copy that from The Ghoul?  Do you have a link?  "All over the web...?"  I didn't see that, but I'm hardly "all over the web."  Please advise and thanks. 

the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 12:55:33 AM »

I found the story in the text portion to the right of this video about China buying up Australian interests on youtube.  Then I googled the words China, eminent domain and US and found out that this story has been around since February or March. 

Some say it is true, some say it isn't, but it would be hard to prove either way since we can't count on the media or the politicians to give us the real story about ANYTHING. 

Even if it's not true, we are in a bad situation.  Even the mainstream media is admitting that the US will no longer be able to complain about human rights in China because we are beholding to them.

Here's where I found it originally.

Small | Large
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 01:00:47 AM »

I found the story in the text portion to the right of this video about China buying up Australian interests on youtube.  Then I googled the words China, eminent domain and US and found out that this story has been around since February or March. 

Some say it is true, some say it isn't, but it would be hard to prove either way since we can't count on the media or the politicians to give us the real story about ANYTHING. 

Even if it's not true, we are in a bad situation.  Even the mainstream media is admitting that the US will no longer be able to complain about human rights in China because we are beholding to them.

Here's where I found it originally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vfug4LVxw&feature=related
Poison the world for money.   Thumbdown 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  $$ is a bummer « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.