Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:13 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Favorite sci-fi/fantasy series of books? « previous next »
Poll
Question: What is your favorite series of sci-fi or fantasy books?
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Ender Saga (Ender's Game, etc.)
Dark Tower
Wheel of Time
Dune
Sword of Truth
Twilight
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Chronicles of Narnia
Discworld
Other

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Favorite sci-fi/fantasy series of books?  (Read 6373 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« on: December 10, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »

As for me, my vote goes to Dark Tower.   Sure, a couple of the books were a little over drawn or too "bridgy."  I really enjoyed it, though.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 07:39:10 AM »

LOTR will always hold first place for me.  But I really enjoyed some of Stephen R. Donaldson's stuff, too.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:42:58 AM »

I don't read a lot, but the Star of the Guardians series by Margaret Weis would be my favorite.  Just because it's about the only series I've read  TeddyR  They are really good though.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:45:28 AM »

I have a hard time reading series.  I'm too compelled to keep reading the whole thing from start to finish, especially if it's a good one.  That means that I'll have a crap ton of other books that will sit on the back burner until book 45 has been finished, or until I get tired of reading halfway through book 22. 
Cthulhu
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »

No "A Game of Thrones"?
Blasphemy!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »

Oh, no doubt. John Ronald Reuel Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings." The first paperback I ever bought was his "Fellowship of the Ring," which I still have. Actually, I have all the paperbacks I bought over the years. Though, most of them are boxed up and in storage.

I understand why Joe the Destroyer had to restrick the number of series for the poll and then chose what he thought would be the most popular, but as someone who is heavily into fantasy, he barely scratched the surface. Thus, here are some more of my favorite fantasy series.

The Artemis Fowl series
by Eoin Colfer (6 books with 1 or 2 still to come)
I've only read the first two, then only in graphic novel form, but, for my money he is one of the greatest fantasy writers, writing at this time, especially, if you like well drawn characters. As they say: "Nobody can do it better."

The Dragonlance series
by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss (Unknown number of books)
The first books were written by Hickman and Weiss and spawned a great number of other novels and short story collections. Some of which were written by Hickman and/or Weiss and others by other authors. I like many of the other authors, but I think my two favorites are Douglas Niles and Chris Pearson, as I am almost guaranteed a great read by those two.

The Mithgar series
by Dennis McKiernan (15 or 16 books)
Most of which I have read, and one of the most realistic series out there, as nobody moves faster than it is humanly possible, so a character can be days, even weeks, on the road before they get to where they are going.

He also has . . .
The Faery series (5 or 6 books)
Most of which I have also read. These are reinterpretations of classic fairy tales. For example, the first book in the series is a reinterpretation of the Scandinavian "East of the Sun, West of the Moon."

The Ravenloft series
by multiple authors (Unknown number of books)
This is an interesting series, as it is actually horror with a fantasy twist. My favorite is the first one in the series "I, Strahd," which is about vampires, but other books in the series have dealt with Frankenstein's Monster, hunchbacks, werewolves, zombies, and about every classic horror monster out there.

The Shannara series
by Terry Brooks (16 or so books)
Most of which I have read. He also has two other on-going series . . .

The Magic Kingdom of Landover (5 or 6 books)
Again, most of which I have read and . . .

The Word and the Void (3 books)
None of which I have read.

The Villain series
Multiple authors (unknown number of books)
I wish I could remember more about this series, since it is such a good one, but all the books that I have from this series are boxed up and in storage. But, I do remember it being a series within the Dragonlance series and dealing with villains, such as Lord Toede the Goblin and Lord Soth the Death Knight, which can be found in the Dragonlance series.

But all those books have been published within the past thirty years, if you want a series that is older than try . . .

The Grimm Brothers series
While Jacob and William are not responsible for writing any of the tales in the series, they are responsible for collecting and publishing them. And there are more than you think. Some being quite obscure out of the complete collection.

But, I have just scratched the surface, and there are many more fantasy series out there.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »

I can't decide. I've read lots of sci-fi/fantasy series, the've all been good, and they've all had their weaker books. Of the choices on the list, I've read all of LOTR, the first three Ender books, and the first book of Dune. But there are a few series I've read in their entirety that aren't on the list.

- Asimov's Foundation series and Robot series, and the associated prequels and tie-ins

- Clarke's Rama series

- The Stainless Steel Rat

- The Ringworld series

- Harry Turtledove's Worldwar/Colonization series

- John Christopher's Tripod trilogy

and others that probably couldn't be properly called series.

I'd have a hard time deciding which I liked best. I guess I'll just have to vote "other."

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »

No "A Game of Thrones"?
Blasphemy!

I concur. If I had to pick a current favorite "A Song of Ice and Fire" would be it.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 12:14:45 PM »

I casted my vote for Twilight...ok I kid.  BounceGiggle  Actually I love Percy Jackson And The Olympians.  I keep encouraging everyone to read it before the films come out.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Cthulhu

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »

No "A Game of Thrones"?
Blasphemy!

I concur. If I had to pick a current favorite "A Song of Ice and Fire" would be it.
Now if only A Dance with Dragons would be out.
I'm afraid that I'll die of old age before the books are finished. Lookingup
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »

I casted my vote for Twilight...ok I kid.  BounceGiggle  Actually I love Percy Jackson And The Olympians.  I keep encouraging everyone to read it before the films come out.

I keep eying the books when I see them in stores.  I will most likely pick them up before the movies hit.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »

Discworld for me. Terry Pratchett's books are like whole new worlds, that live, breathe and constantly evolve. There's silly characters, black humour, interesting stories and everything is brilliantly and cleverly written. My favourite sub-series within them are the ones that feature Death.

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »

I've never really followed series as much as authors.  For example: I have most of Micheal Cricthton's books.  The two execptions I can think of are the short lived Godzilla novels by Marc Cerasini.  And Preston and Child's books with Pendergast.  Although I haven't got to the Dioness triology yet.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »

No "A Game of Thrones"?
Blasphemy!

Now if only A Dance with Dragons would be out.
I'm afraid that I'll die of old age before the books are finished. Lookingup

We'll also have to hope George R.R. Martin doesn't go the Robert Jordan route.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 11:43:14 PM »

That is a tough list.  I like so many of the series on there.  Potter, LOTR, and Hitchhikers would be my top picks I guess.  Ender's Game books and Dark Tower would be some close seconds.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Favorite sci-fi/fantasy series of books? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.