Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
714159 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Let's Talk Pro Wrestling. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Let's Talk Pro Wrestling.  (Read 16735 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »

Father of Lance Cade: "Linda McMahon disrespected my family"

http://www.theday.com/article/20100826/NWS12/308269378/1017?utm_source=bleacherreport.com

This is a pretty interesting read. There's a sad lot of truth going on there. Wrestlers aren't supposed to abuse prescription medications yet are pushed and pushed to work even while hurt to keep their spots. Wrestlers aren't supposed to be taking steroids yet you know a lot of wrestlers fear they won't be noticed or hired unless they do (and no doubt many are actually encouraged behind the scenes to take them in order to get ahead). I'm not saying anyone should cave in these pressures. More power to those who can succeed without such help.

What's happened to the wrestlers in this article, not to mention numerous others, is a prime example of the dangers of abusing prescription pain pills. Don't cave into the pressures in life to take drugs...they may will kill you before you know it.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2010, 11:38:34 PM »

What shocks me is the fact that wrestlers do take steroids.  I'm not a smart guy when it comes to steroids, but I would see the reasoning behind real athletes (football, baseball, basketball, etc) taking them, as they would in some way enhance their performance.  And, I am a wrestling fan, but they don't really 'enhance' the performers in any way other than making them "bigger" muscularly. 

As for pain pills, Jake the Snake kinda summed it up in Beyond the Mat.  At the time of his 'big run' with WWE, he was saying that he was on the road at something like, 35-50 straight days, then would be getting maybe 6 days off.  Then be on the road for another 60 day stretch.  The resulting pain meant you'd take a pill to numb it, then eventually, one leads to 2, 2 to 4.  Then it's not just painkillers: you get tired from the constant travel, exercise, match, interviews, etc, that you can't sleep.  So you take other pills to sleep.  Then, you're groggy and can't wake up, so some turn to cocaine to get that energy boost.  Etc. 

I can speak from my own experience though, painkillers are a b***h.  I've used them and struggle with addiction.  It's a beast.  Probably the worst things to get off of, as they're very affordable and easily accessable.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »

It's disturbing but you know it's typically been rare to see smaller, more naturally built guys get pushed to the top of WWE. There are perhaps an handful but I think it's likely a small number. So most guys unfortunately turn to steroids and HGH to build up their muscles and size and then no doubt find ways around the random steroid testing. Look at photos of Eddie Guerrero pre-WWF and when he was in the WWF - there's a big difference there. Same with Rey Mysterio. Same with Chris Benoit.  I'm sure there's other we could name too. In the old days of wrestling, wrestlers were typically well... more fat. Sure there were some muscular guys but they were far outnumbered by the guys packing a belly but yet who could get the job done in the ring night after night. The fact that there were more different wrestlers could travel to and compete in led to wrestlers having more options at their disposal - if one place didn't treat them right, they actually could go to another. That also helped keep different wrestlers fresh and interesting wherever they went. And it also likely cut down a bit on the hard schedule they were working if it got too demanding. A change of scenery could do you good. Nowadays the WWE has almost in essence a monopoly over pro wrestling entertainment...

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 10:19:46 PM »

Dusty Rhodes is a guy that comes to mind.  Not a great looking guy at all.  Jake Roberts too.  Roberts wasn't 'fat', but certainly didn't have the build of say, Hulk Hogan.  Nowadays they're all 'jacked', so to speak.  I can't say for certain, but I'd say Jericho and The Miz look to have somewhat 'normal' physical statures for guys their size.  Mind you, I can't say they have or haven't used steroids or any other drug.

Sad to see so many drug related problems in wrestling, but it's not just wrestling.  Many outlets of life have people with drugs going on, bars and restaurants especially.  Restaurants are a high stress job with easy access to drugs and a lot of money (tips, hourly wages, long hours, etc) make for people looking for ways to calm down or get energy.

venomx
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 03:26:11 PM »

Only 3 wrestling fans here?

Anyway, do you guys have any favorite botches? Past or present.

Some of my favorites lol...

Small | Large

Small | Large

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 08:37:47 PM »

Let's throw the Shockmaster's debut in there...that has to be the single most hilarious debut in wrestling history.

Watched the 900th episode of Raw and caught Smackdown and NXT this week. What I mostly remember about it is how disappointingly predictable both Raw and Smackdown were - the days of they really surprising us in wrestling almost seem gone these days. Every time played out like I expected and it was majorly disappointing to not see any legends make a surprise appearance on the 900th episode - I know they're emphasizing a youth movement in WWE right now. But man everything is the same old, same old---it's gotten boring. The same matches seem to be going on endlessly on Smackdown - Rhodes-Hardy-Christian-McIntyre or some combination of the 4, Kofi-Ziggler, Kane-Undertaker, Big Show-Punk -just going on and on. Raw has had a few more surprises recently thanks to Nexus and Bret Hart but that show too has mostly become predictable. NXT was a surprise to me as Kaval actually won the thing! But I cannot see how WWE will use him well. I keep hoping they're going to use guys like Evan Bourne, Jack Swagger, MVP, C.M. Punk, Daniel Bryan better but more often than not, they disappoint me.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 10:06:59 PM »

Thought the 900th Raw was this week for some reason.  I dunno.  Guess I missed it.

I was watching the recent dvd releases of the Raw 15th Anniversary 3 Disc set and Smackdown's 10th Anniversary 3 Disc set.  Not like it used to be, but I still watch it.  I'm hoping some of the stars can do their thing and make something, but the writing has gone down.

I'll probably miss any and all wrestling this week.  I'm on vacation, and I won't be around this week to watch it, or even near a computer. TeddyR

I'm hoping they can do something with Kaval, but seeing what their track record is, I'm not holding my breath.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »

Yeah the 900th episode WAS last Monday. It was a very disappointing show I felt. They booked a Bret-Undertaker match but of course Nexus and Kane kept that from happening. No other legends appeared although they teased Austin during C.M. Punk's segment where he ran down the most disgraceful moments in Raw history and of course Punk's was Austin's beer fire hosing of the Corporation. The main event was Chris Jericho, Edge, John Cena, Sheamus & Randy Orton vs. The Nexus (Barrett, Gabriel, Tarver, Slater & Otunga). Jericho walked out, Edge got himself intentionally DQed early so it was essentially Sheamus, Cena & Orton vs. the Nexus with Orton going over big in predictable fashion.

What I don't like is nothing really surprises anymore and the matches are usually just rushed spotfests these days. Wrestling since they took the booking out of the hands of the former wrestlers really seems to have gone down the crapper. Now it's like the redo the same basic storyline repeatedly over and over (one pretty similar to the Smackdown vs. Raw video games in fact).

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »

Well I have to say they surprised me this week. The booking was spot on almost all week. They've built up this new Kane-Undertaker match perfectly with Undertaker seemingly in a weakened state and Kane strong going into the PPV. Alberto Del Rio is the best new heel I've seen in a while. C.M. Punk looked impressive against Undertaker on Smackdown this week and his promos are stronger than ever. Randy Orton seems right on the verge of being WWE's next mega-star and they've booked an interesting match between him and John Cena for the Raw season premiere this Monday. The matches this week have been great - I was very impressed. John Morrison vs. Chris Jericho in a Raw show stealer. MVP vs. Jack Swagger also had a great match on Smackdown. It's like everything for Night of Champions is coming together perfectly so far...

venomx
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »

Small | Large

Nova gets choked out.
B.W.O.'s Rodman gets the nastiest TBONE Tazplex EVER.
The Blue Meanie quits B.W.O.
Taz ends the B.W.O. then calls out WCW and WWF.
Rick Rude on commentary.

NSFW.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Let's Talk Pro Wrestling. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.