Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:32:10 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Aug @ 366 Weird Movies: DUNE, THE BLACK CAT, PARASOMNIA, NOTLD: REANIMATED « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Aug @ 366 Weird Movies: DUNE, THE BLACK CAT, PARASOMNIA, NOTLD: REANIMATED  (Read 5444 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: August 09, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »

A new month of weirdness...

44 INCH CHEST (2009): "Watch 44 Inch Chest for the performances by a superlative collection of British actors, and for the brief glimpse a John Hurt in a black cocktail dress; don’t watch it for the story, or for weirdness."

SPIRAL (2007): "As tensions reach the meniscus, unanswered questions brew a churning swirl of fantasy, reality and bedlam as Mason, Amber and Berkeley cross paths in a twisting maelstrom of truth and lies." PD

A TOWN CALLED PANIC (2009): "A lively assemblage of old-fashioned model figures rendered in clay prance about a candy-colored landscape sporting Looney Tunes-worthy voices and completely nonsensical motivations.  Their experiences get funnier as they become more surreal, with frequent disregard of the laws of physics, a range of goofy outbursts, eclectic personalities, and unpredictable changes of scenery." AK

HELL'S HINGES (1916): "...perhaps the quintessential example of one of these uncomfortably strange William S. Hart hybrids mixing sentimentality with violence.  Both qualities are presented with all the subtlety of a pair of brass knuckles wrapped in a tear-drenched handkerchief." AE

GIRLY (1970): "If you are charmed by the idea of adults chattering out nonsense in sing song voices and constantly referring to themselves in the third person then I’ve got good news for you… this film has it in spades!" KD

VINCENT (1982) & FRANKENWEENIE (1984): "...there may be no better example in the director’s entire body of work of than this crisp five minute exhibition of his talent for mixing the chuckle with the shudder."

DANGER: DIABOLIK (1968): "Bava seizes on Diabolik’s ridiculous premise as a perfect opportunity to pour on the eye candy, unhindered by considerations of logic or self-restraint." AS

THE DRESS (1996): "It’s a comedy, but the humor is of the nervous titters breaking up tense situations variety. For example, a dangerous argument inside borrowed home is broken up by a common enemy, the returning owner (carrying a shotgun in one hand and a baby in the other, she could have stepped right out of a Dutch John Waters film)."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:27:18 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »

Just to let everyone know, that the live action, short subject "Frankenweenie" from 1984 is being re-made as a full length, stop animation film for release in 2012. Script and direction by Tim Burton.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »

Just to let everyone know, that the live action, short subject "Frankenweenie" from 1984 is being re-made as a full length, stop animation film for release in 2012. Script and direction by Tim Burton.

I honestly can't say I'm excited about that project.  I don't see that it's very likely to surpass the original and Burton's work has been pretty disappointing of late.  Still, we'll see.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 04:47:05 PM »

More stuff:

SILENT SCREAM (1980): "Barbara Steele stars as the villain in this dated ’80′s American-made shocker.  Good character development, strong performances, and relatively little gore distinguish this effort from the usual slasher fare." PD

BIRDEMIC: SHOCK AND TERROR (2008):  I'm still waiting for this on DVD along with the rest of the backwater schlubs, but fortunately Alex Kittle got to see it in a theater.  She reports that the "stilted performances and poorly-written conversations are enough to keep anyone laughing merrily along until the anticipated birdpocalypse, at which point the fun continues when they team up with a gun-crazy neighbor and two particularly useless children." AK

KING OF PLUTO (2004): "Sheila Franklin’s 2004 documentary, The King of Pluto (2004) focuses on the art of Michigan politico Mike Wrathell. From the outset, it is immediately apparent that Wrathell is a genuine oddball." AE

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993): "It all ends in disaster, as Jack, who began with the best of intentions, realizes that his amateur staging of Christmas was a nightmare and that he has to set things right and reaffirm his devotion to the Satanic rites of All Hallow’s Eve.  The moral seems to be, attempts to understand other cultures are doomed to failure; stick to your own kind."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:03:06 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »

umm REV, you have The Dress listed twice

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »

umm REV, you have The Dress listed twice

The movie so nice I reviewed it twice!

Thanks Bull, I removed the second instance.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »

More... and Pamela now promises not to snap at anyone who posts a comment...

DUNE [BLU-RAY] (1984): "I’m sorry David, your film is lame.  You know it.  I know it.  Still, you managed to get some devout followers.  I just can’t figure out why." -EG

PARASOMNIA (2008): "The opening scene has Sean Young, looking good, making a very brief cameo as Byron Volpe’s wife; she takes a phone call from her murderous, mesmerist husband and immediately jumps off a balcony. This was a smart move on her part as she then didn’t have to appear in the rest of this interminable travesty." -KD

Alex's report on the restored METROPOLIS (1927): "...the overall effect of seeing a visionary classic in its near-complete form (about 5 minutes are still lost) is breathtaking on a big screen and required viewing for any fan of science-fiction, silent film, or just great movies in general." -AK

THE BLACK CAT (1934): "Karloff’s haircut is almost an Expressionist set of its own." -me

EMPEROR OF THE NORTH POLE (1973): "...a steam locomotive winds its way through rural woodlands.  This is Union Pacific’s Number 19 freight, and it has a madman on board." -PD

TERROR IN A TEXAS TOWN (1958): "George is mad as hell, he means business and he’s carrying a big whaling harpoon over his shoulder to prove it." -AE

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: REANIMATED (2010): "The various styles of animation work fluidly together to pay homage to as well as to press the boundaries of the original zombie survival template." -EY

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 06:38:27 PM »

More:

MARY AND MAX (2009): "This bittersweet animated feature isn’t kids’ stuff, or really weird stuff, but it’s worth your time if you have a sentimental old softie buried somewhere inside you, and he likes to laugh."

JOHNNY GUITAR (1954): "...almost dreamlike—almost as if you are not watching a movie so much as hallucinating what you might think a movie could or should be."  Guest review by Kevyn Knox of The Cinematheque.

ORDER OF CHAOS (2010): "Strong performances, stylish editing and an unexpected storyline distinguish this offbeat chic thriller from filmmaker Vince Vieluf." -PD

THE BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS (2009): "[Cage's] jittery, disjointed, often deliriously hammy performance is like Hunter Thompson as assayed by Dennis Hopper in the middle of a meth binge." 

ED WOOD (1994): TIM BURTON'S GLORIOUS SWANSONG: "n 1994 Tim Burton was the perfect artist to bring Ed’s story to the screen.  Burton, recognizing a fellow auteur and genuine oddball, treated Wood, not with derision, but with the respect he deserved." -AE

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (2010): "There are no wild grandstanding dream sequences; they’re all very similar in a “Silent Hill Lite” style.  Given that the central character is a dead man who haunts people in their dreams and can exact real life revenge on their sleeping bodies, Krueger is lacking in imagination." -KD

SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »

BounceGiggle No, she was on the money with that response, I must not have read the article well enough. I deserved that, I'm a good sport and will admit a mistake on my part Twirling

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:42:37 AM »

BounceGiggle No, she was on the money with that response, I must not have read the article well enough. I deserved that, I'm a good sport and will admit a mistake on my part Twirling

She had a ruder response before she went back and edited it.  Smile

BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:17:56 AM »

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: REANIMATED (2010): "The various styles of animation work fluidly together to pay homage to as well as to press the boundaries of the original zombie survival template." -EY

Holy crap, how have I NOT heard of this??!?

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:18:56 AM »

Holy crap, how have I NOT heard of this??!?

I actually heard of it here.  The director came by and promoted it; almost all the advertising has been word of mouth.  MofoRising was the first person to see it and he mentioned it here.  It's a cool idea for sure, but very under-promoted. 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Aug @ 366 Weird Movies: DUNE, THE BLACK CAT, PARASOMNIA, NOTLD: REANIMATED « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.