Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:57:06 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  10 ROCK Albums that Changed History « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 10 ROCK Albums that Changed History  (Read 10286 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »

I might give it to Black Sabbath but Sweetheart of the Rodeo?  I have my doubts... but I guess you might have something there Wink Thumbup
Most successful early country/rock hybrid I could think of.
I think The ALLMAN BROS. was much more influential (hadda go back to the top to spell that one!) . But thats just me opinion.

Yeah, but THE ALLMAN BROTHERS sound was influence by the Byrds---so they inherit all the bands the Allman Brothers influenced.  Wink

"When Sweetheart Of The Rodeo is measured against the music of the late sixties, and judged on its merits, and its continuing influence, the LP is undeniably a masterpiece. Sweetheart of the Rodeo was an incredibly bold and daring concept LP, that was obviously doomed to commercial failure, but it provided the spark that sent American popular music searching for its roots. The LP is one of the seminal albums of the era, a profoundly important recording that changed the direction of American popular music overnight, influencing performers like Crosby, Stills, & Nash, the Grateful Dead, the Eagles, Bob Dylan, the Flying Burrito Brothers, the Rolling Stones, Poco, Pure Prairie League, Little Feat, Linda Ronstadt, the Beatles, Neil Young, and Elvis Costello. Sweetheart of the Rodeo also laid the groundwork for the Southern Rock movement of the early seventies, with groups like the Allman Brothers Band, Wet Willie, the Charlie Daniels Band, and the Marshall Tucker Band mining the rich vein of southern music tradition."--some guy
Like it or not it was an influential record.
I don't entirely agree; listen to RICK NELSON's '60s DECCA records Bright Lights/Country Music and Country Fever which were there before THE BYRDS were (a direction he continued with THE STONE CANYON BAND).  NELSON also had more and more Country Rock on his later Imperial releases which are very early '60s (particularly Album Seven by Rick).  More importantly, Sweetheart of the Rodeo is a landmark because of the artists who worked on it, the fact it brought them together, particularly GRAM PARSONS and CHRIS HILLMAN (heart and soul of THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS) and the influence their sound had on later bands, the "California sound" often attributed to THE BYRDS, but they're only part of the story. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 05:08:57 AM »

Whoops! Ill shut up now-! Im obviously out classed in my music history! (Now gimmme some Lugosi history-I be ok!)  Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 02:19:19 AM »

Motorhead heavily influenced thrash metal.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »

Some ones I was gonna name were previously named, mainly:
Pet Sounds by Beach Boys
Nevermind by Nirvana
Rubber Soul by Beatles.

I was also thinking of
Billion Dollar Babies by Alice Cooper.  By all accounts it's influenced many later musicians in various ways.

There's a few other albums I was thinking of but they do fall out of the ROCK category.  Dunno.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »

Van Halen by Van Halen.  For like, ten years after it came out, bands tried to sound like this.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 01:45:53 AM »

I don't know if this qualifies as 'rock' but The Moody Blues album Days of Future Passed ~ a pop group playing with a full orchestra backing ~ was quite innovative IMO. Or maybe I'm just saying that because TMB is my favourite group of all time.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  10 ROCK Albums that Changed History « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.