Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:39:16 PM
713362 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Submitted Reader Reviews  |  The Demon « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Demon  (Read 63107 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »

No worries.  Every country has a few horrible movies...

But speaking of terrible South African horror films, you simply HAVE to watch SWEET MURDER.  It's like "Single White Female" shot on what looks like an unused talk-show set with Embeth Davitz (rowr) and Helen Udy (not-so-rowr).  I think maybe it was shot in Durban (it's a big city with lots of palm trees).  At one point, Helen Udy (playing a murderous ex-pat American) runs a red light with a body in the back seat and she's stopped by a couple of South African traffic cops who ignore the body and ask, "What's wrong, they don't have stop signs in your country?!"  BounceGiggle

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 06:48:32 AM »

Review updated.

Mike Justice
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 05:10:41 AM »

Check out the ending to THE DEMON taken off this Danish tape.
Small | Large

I remember reading one review where they mentioned that Cameron Mitchell was watching from the shadows at the end.  I thought the reviewer was imagining things, but here lies the proof, I guess....

You've seen the SA print, and the US and international prints...  Why does this Danish version have CM at the end?  Did Ruby make mention of any alternate versions of his film and what purposes they served?
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »

Check out the ending to THE DEMON taken off this Danish tape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8YHmEYrgU

I remember reading one review where they mentioned that Cameron Mitchell was watching from the shadows at the end.  I thought the reviewer was imagining things, but here lies the proof, I guess....

This is way weird indeed: didn't he die? Or was the Demon a manifestation of his inner turmoil?  Buggedout Buggedout

You've seen the SA print, and the US and international prints...  Why does this Danish version have CM at the end?  Did Ruby make mention of any alternate versions of his film and what purposes they served?

I don't know of any other versions that Percival made: I do know that the 35mm print we have in the NFVSA is uncut.

Mike Justice
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »

I can't even tell if that clip of Cameron Mitchell at the end was part of the film or not.  He IS wearing that "High Chapparel"-type hat.  Maybe he was such a big star in some territories that certain prints of the film had an extra scene of him tacked on.  Or something.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 02:40:23 AM »

Review updated as I confused Mary and Jo: too much boinga-boinga going on and wayy too many saggy panties on show.  Buggedout Buggedout

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 03:28:13 AM »

Sorry, I should have written WEINER instead of WIENIE.  Wink

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 03:56:30 AM »

Updated.

Burning_Dog
New Visitor

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »

Hi Trevor
I can’t view your profile or message you as I am a newbie on this site.
But I wanted to pick your brains about S.A. Exploitation films.
If you have a moment perhaps I can p.m. you or send you an email?
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »

Hi Trevor
I can’t view your profile or message you as I am a newbie on this site.
But I wanted to pick your brains about S.A. Exploitation films.
If you have a moment perhaps I can p.m. you or send you an email?

Sure: my email address is ------------.com or at work, T--------------za. Look forward to hearing from you.  Smile
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:02:04 AM by Trevor » Logged

Burning_Dog
New Visitor

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 04:32:06 AM »

Brillant, thanks Trevor.
I’ve sent you an email hopefully you have time to skim through it.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 08:35:21 PM »

Just watched this last night, and man it was a puzzlement. I did a quick write-up over in "Recent Viewings."

This was pretty much my reaction. Movie ends. Silence. "What the hell was that?'

The ending was my favorite for sheer misplaced lunacy. I still cannot figure out the poncho. Was she protecting herself from getting wet? Was the water supposed to scaldingly hot?

I noticed you said "Boobs Disco" would no longer be in existence. Well, if I ever visit South Africa, we will start a nightclub named "Boobs Disco."

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 06:13:29 AM »

Just watched this last night, and man it was a puzzlement. I did a quick write-up over in "Recent Viewings."

This was pretty much my reaction. Movie ends. Silence. "What the hell was that?'

The ending was my favorite for sheer misplaced lunacy. I still cannot figure out the poncho. Was she protecting herself from getting wet? Was the water supposed to scaldingly hot?

I was also wondering why she has to climb around in the rafters kaalgat [nekkid]?  Wink

I noticed you said "Boobs Disco" would no longer be in existence. Well, if I ever visit South Africa, we will start a nightclub named "Boobs Disco."

According to MIguelito, it's a bombed out hole with a flea market outside.  Buggedout

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »

Funny review Trevor.

Here was my reaction to this film backed when I watched the first time in October 2012...haven't had the desire to revisit of as of yet...it's a pretty strange film...kind of throws in that popular 70s ESP gimmick...

The Demon (1981): Following the abduction and possible murder of their teenage daughter, a desperate couple decide to hire an ex-Marine special investigator known for having ESP abilities - Col. Bill Carson (Cameron Mitchell). He soon has visions of a faceless hulking monster of a man stalking even more potential victims to terrorize.

This film is pretty much a ripoff of Halloween with some Black Christmas thrown in. For the most part, it's surprisingly dull but it does have some good moments here and there especially during its climax as the masked Demon hunts two girls, in various states of undress, throughout a large house. While in some ways ridiculous, it does manage to create some suspense during this final sequence. The rest of movie feels like a far less ineffectual slasher with a Micheal Myers-like character stalking victims as we watch the various romantic entanglements of those he's watching. Thrash but has some moments although Mitchell is basically in and out of this one in short order. **1/2 out of ***** stars

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 07:04:17 AM »

I love how The Demon is squashed under The Evil: it's like the distributors are saying "We bought this crap, we have to show this crap but do we have to advertise it too?"  Buggedout TeddyR TeddyR

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Submitted Reader Reviews  |  The Demon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.