Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:05:44 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die  (Read 14953 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: February 21, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »

This list has been around since 2005. Each year the book is updated, some older selections are deleted to make room for more recent titles. Being somewhat of an eclectic audiophile myself, I have to say I find the list pretty decent. I don't doubt there are biases, but they seem to take ernest pains to keep things fair to multiple genres. Rock and popular music of the Western world dominates, naturally, but the list includes may seminal works from just about any genre you can think of, those what have been critically acclaimed, or were particularly influential or popular. Older titles may be those that have stood the test of time, or in some cases were simply very influential in their time even if not particularly listened to now. I'm impressed by the list moreso than something by Rolling Stone because their lists seem to be too heavily biased for my tastes while this one seems at least somewhat more even-handed. It begins in 1955 with Frank Sinatra's In the Wee Small Hours, and the 2011 version ends in 2010 with Arcade Fire's The Suburbs.

Below is a link to the list from the 2011 edition. I've been plugging in a lot of the artists into Pandora and discovering lots of music I've never heard before. I have to enter in tracks from the album because, unfortunately, Pandora only accepts artists and song titles, not album titles, although they should in my opinion.

Anyway, check out the list and discuss.

http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=319133&show=100&start=0

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
voltron

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »

Killing Joke's first album (INCREDIBLE!) and Napalm Death's Scum (bats**t nutty grind) automatically get a  Thumbup from me. I could do without some of the more modern albums, though.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »

Well, yeah, I'm not saying I agree with all the choices. I wasn't too keen on Joanna Newsome, for example. I'm sure there will be others as I delve deeper. I am discovering some stuff I genuinely like though, even from the newer stuff and at my semi cranky age of 44. I'm glad I discovered The Black Keys, for example.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »

No albums from before 1955, and no classical or world music? The list is way too rock oriented for a "1000 Best"; I'm not even sure why they bothered to put  the occasional jazz or blues album on it.  Just call it 1000 rock/pop albums to hear before you die.

I'll stick with  Tom Moon's 1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die. I'm slowly working my way through that one, into the "J's".

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »

Overall, I'm not disappointed with this list.  But, was anything by Nine Inch Nails on it? I forget at this point.

Well, yeah, I'm not saying I agree with all the choices. I wasn't too keen on Joanna Newsome, for example. I'm sure there will be others as I delve deeper. I am discovering some stuff I genuinely like though, even from the newer stuff and at my semi cranky age of 44. I'm glad I discovered The Black Keys, for example.

Not quite sure if you've heard the albums my MGMT or Arcade Fire, but both are worth a listen:

From MGMT's Oracular Spectacular:
Small | Large

From Arcade Fire's The Suburbs:
Small | Large

But, that's myself, personally.  I love the Black Keys, and dig both of these groups.  Not saying you will, but, well.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »

No albums from before 1955, and no classical or world music? The list is way too rock oriented for a "1000 Best"; I'm not even sure why they bothered to put  the occasional jazz or blues album on it.  Just call it 1000 rock/pop albums to hear before you die.

I'll stick with  Tom Moon's 1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die. I'm slowly working my way through that one, into the "J's".

Yeah I know, Rev. I had a feeling you might comment along those lines. The list does start with the early rock and roll era and certainly focuses on rock and popular music from that point on. World music does show up periodically, though. I think it's a legit list as far as it's perpective goes. I am absolutely going to start going through the list you have provided, however, audiophile that I am.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »

Not quite sure if you've heard the albums my MGMT or Arcade Fire, but both are worth a listen:

Not yet with MGMT, but a little with Arcade Fire. So far so good. I'm starting mostly from the most recent and working backwards, since I am already familiar with most of the older albums.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »

same with most lists it comes down to personal taste , but looking at it as objectively as is possible I'm not sure how anyone could argue you need to hear albums as comparatively generic as David Grey - White Ladder, Alanis Morrissette - Jagged Little Pill, Madonna - Music, Coldplay - Parachutes etc... not saying they're bad albums, but they're hardly original in the context of the past 50 years of recorded music.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »

same with most lists it comes down to personal taste , but looking at it as objectively as is possible I'm not sure how anyone could argue you need to hear albums as comparatively generic as David Grey - White Ladder, Alanis Morrissette - Jagged Little Pill, Madonna - Music, Coldplay - Parachutes etc... not saying they're bad albums, but they're hardly original in the context of the past 50 years of recorded music.

It's debatable. I think the angle is kind of like, if you haven't seen Caddyshack you probably should at some point because it is significant in some way.

Overall I like the list and I've gotten something out of it. It is a less condescending list that something Rolling Stone might put out. it is what it is. I'm looking forward to going through the list Rev posted as well.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »

I'm looking through the list now; lots of records on here I love and have.   
Then he's got stuff like IRON BUTTERFLY's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.   Lookingup I'm sorry but, really?  Plus, albums that are nice (BEBEL GILBERTO Tanto Tempo or RYAN ADAMS Gold or COLDPLAY Parachutes) but "must hear"?  I have or had the records I mention, so I'm familiar with them.  The list starts with a great FRANK SINATRA album, but not his greatest by a long shot.  I'm with Gidget there, not all these records are "must hear".  Thumbup Wink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »

You mean you don't all agree with all 1001 titles? Wow, and here I thought it was going to be a virtual certainty.

Come on, guys, I'm just saying I it was a halfway decent list.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »

You mean you don't all agree with all 1001 titles? Wow, and here I thought it was going to be a virtual certainty.

Overall, yeah.  I agree.

Except for Coldplay.

Nothing of their's is really 'must hear' by any stretch of the imagination.  But that's just personal preference.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »

You suggested "discuss".  Thazwhaweedooeeng.  
NORA JONES Come Away With Me? ROYSKOPP Melody A.M.?  Lots and lots of recent records plus three NICK CAVE AND THE BAD SEEDS (at least).  A list from anyone's collection, who is bound to have some good stuff, but has been shooting fish in a barrel.  There's a good amount of middle-of-the-road and commercial material which is contemporaneous but hardly "must hear".   There I go again!  Thumbup  TeddyR  

Let me clarify that for me, going through this list is an exercise of "I have that one... I had that one..."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:25:53 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »

He's got Frampton Comes Alive!  He's got Pacific Ocean Blue... this guy must be sneakin' in my records at night.  
Just because I own them or listen to them or love them doesn't mean I don't know what they are...  Smile
He's got Pacific Ocean Blue before My Aim Is True.    Question

I'm also amazed at how many records on this list I had on vinyl.  Most are long gone now.  

Or cassette tape, this one was very good: TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:21:47 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:51:26 AM »

Or cassette tape, this one was very good: TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby
I have this one on cd still.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.