Main Menu

We're losing our Mart of K later this month

Started by sprite75, March 12, 2017, 04:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacman000

Sad. Never been to ShopKo, but I've heard of them. Was impressed they survived when Woolco, Ames, etc didn't. Now... It's just sad, that's all.

316zombie

it really is, pac. western kansas will be hurt badly with the few remaining stores closing, in particular. there's not that many other choices out there.

MaratogaG

[spam removed]

Alex

Once was mildly amusing, but do you really think spamming the s**t multiple times will get you more customers? Anyway, I've passed the details of this website onto the NCA, so hopefully, they will shut it down.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

Pacman000

The spam was probably posted automatically; AI has disadvantages besides HAL & Skynet.

sprite75

Quote from: Pacman000 on March 20, 2019, 04:57:14 PM
Sad. Never been to ShopKo, but I've heard of them. Was impressed they survived when Woolco, Ames, etc didn't. Now... It's just sad, that's all.

I used to like them.  Used to be that they seemed fairly nice and an actual alternative to Wally World or Target.  They've gone down hill the past few years though. 
God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.

sprite75

I drove past our former Mart of K today and they had taken down the awning over the front entrance that used to mark the building as being the local Mart of K and had cut a hole in the east end of the building, presumably for the fabric store that's moving in later this year. 

sprite75

The new VA clinic in our former Mart of K had a ribbon cutting and will start seeing patients in a few weeks.

https://kwwl.com/news/dubuque-news/2019/08/15/new-veterans-outpatient-clinic-opens-in-dubuque/

sprite75

The final part of the old Mart of K will have an occupant.  The ends were taken up by a VA Clinic and a Joann's and a furniture store is moving into the center part.

QuoteA furniture store in Dubuque will soon make a short move that will have a big impact on its customers and workforce.

Slumberland Furniture will relocate from its current location, at 4390 Dodge St., to a larger space within the Plaza 20 Shopping Center in the first quarter of 2021.

Plaza 20 President Michael Kahle confirmed that Slumberland will occupy the 55,000 square foot space in the former Kmart building, filling the vacant area between Joann fabric store and the Dubuque Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: pacman000 on January 11, 2021, 11:51:27 PM
List of remaining Kmarts in the US, as of Dec. 2020: https://brostocks.com/2020/05/04/how-many-kmarts-are-left-in-the-united-states/

Just 35 stores left...out of what, almost 2500 at their peak in the 1990s? The mind boggles.
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

pacman000

Indeed it does. Tis sad, in a way. Wish there was one around me; I'd go for old times sake, & to take pictures before it closed.

sprite75

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on January 13, 2021, 09:17:17 AM
Quote from: pacman000 on January 11, 2021, 11:51:27 PM
List of remaining Kmarts in the US, as of Dec. 2020: https://brostocks.com/2020/05/04/how-many-kmarts-are-left-in-the-united-states/

Just 35 stores left...out of what, almost 2500 at their peak in the 1990s? The mind boggles.

I wonder if the one in Guam will be the last one left, sort of like the last Blockbuster.  The one in Guam is the most popular store on the island.

sprite75

Some of the few remaining Marts of K are shutting down later this year

QuoteKmart is shuttering its last-remaining store in Michigan, the state where the once-proud retail chain launched in 1899. It's one of series of store closings that will leave the company with only six locations in the continental United States still in business by year's end.

Kmart is owned by Sears, which purchased the chain out of bankruptcy in 2005. There were 2,100 Kmart locations at the time of its 2002 bankruptcy filing, and 1,400 when it was purchased by Sears. The combined company, Sears Holdings, itself filed for bankruptcy in 2018, and although it survived that process, it has since been closing stores under both brands in what retail experts describe as a "slow-motion liquidation."

"Obviously they are all going to be gone shortly," said Mark Cohen, director of retail studies at Columbia University. "This movie has ended, and we're watching the credits roll endlessly."

Cohen said that there is no sense in rebranding the handful of remaining Kmart stores with the Sears name, as it would cost money to put up new signage, and the Sears brand would do little to attract more customers.

The Michigan one is currently the one closest to me right now at about 360 miles away.  I think after this is done the nearest ones will either be in New York or New Jersey.