Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:23:11 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Who should be next in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who should be next in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame?  (Read 5056 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« on: January 20, 2018, 05:48:01 PM »

Hey folks.
It kind of sticks in my craw when bands/performers I've never heard of or didn't think were all that good are in the HOF but bands/performers that have had tons of success are still left out.  I think that they have to have had 5 years pass without an album release before they can even be considered.  That may factor in but there's a number of artists that I swear haven't and are still left off.

I'll start things off with some that should be considered, if not 2019 (Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, Nina Simone, Moody Blues, Sister Rosetta Tharpe made this year's list) then later on down the road.

THE DOOBIE BROTHERS
Are you out-and-out kidding me??  How are these guys NOT in the HOF??  Hits out the wazoo throughout the 70s, with a change in lead singers (Tom Johnston to Michael McDonald) not slowing them down.  That's stupid to leave them off.

STYX
Another "Are you kidding me?".  Big hits in the 70s, 80s AND 90s!  Great vocal and keyboard work by Dennis DeYoung, and definitely up there in the conversation with Journey and Foreginer as the best-remembered bands of the early 80s for me.  GOT to put these guys in.

"WEIRD" AL YANKOVIC
I know you might laugh but he's been an incredibly proficient artist over the last few decades, and probably the top novelty artist of all time.  He's still putting out albums I think, which would hurt his chances.  But I think he definitely belongs.

BARBARA STREISAND
Yeah, a lot of people don't like her songs (generally me included), and she doesn't seem like a particularly great person in general, but she definitely had a lot of popular music back in the day, with numerous #1 hits and a very recognizable singing voice.  Deserves consideration at least.

FOREIGNER
Great hard rock band and a fantastic lead vocalist in Lou Gramm, these guys were THE SH*T in the late 70s and the 80s.  If Journey can make it in the HOF so should these guys.  I couldn't think of Journey without thinking of Foreigner and vice versa.

KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND
It may turn some stomachs to think of inducting another disco band but they were as hot as any in the 70s NOT named The Bee Gees.  One of the bigger-sized successful bands I can think of (around a dozen or so performers!) with several #1 hits.

ANDY GIBB
The long dead young brother of the Bee Gees carved out his own niche with music strongly in keeping with his famous brothers (very discoey), but his ridiculously handsome looks floored all the women back in the day, and his voice was a bit different from the other brothers.  His star flamed out all too soon but he still racked up a few #1s and instant classics.

PHIL COLLINS
Yes, he's in as a Genesis member but ha was at least as proficient outside the band with his own hits.

THE GUESS WHO
The greatest band from Canada NOT named Rush IMHO.  Caused a bit of controversy with some over "American Woman" with their anti-Vietnam message but it was still a huge hit and they kept cranking out successes over the late 60s and early 70s.

THE LITTLE RIVER BAND
First band from Australia to really hit it big in the States, years before Men At Work.  Instantly recognizable music and vocal style.  I was shocked to find that they were from down under; I couldn't tell!

DEF LEPPARD
I wasn't nearly as big a fan of their late 80s/early 90s success as their early 80s success, but their constant hard rock hits definitely earned them a place in the HOF.

Also perhaps:
MOTLEY CRUE
SAMMY HAGAR
OZZY (in as Black Sabbath)
CYNDI LAUPER
RICK SPRINGFIELD

Post who YOU think should be in the R&R HOF!  Or if you're not sure, I have a list of performers-- you can ask if your nominee is on it and I'll check and get back to you.

Go!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
retrorussell

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »

Thought of a few more:
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN
The object of many a young boy's growing sexual awareness (me included!), she sure had pipes to match.  Not really a good actress or dancer but she could sure belt out the hits!  "Physical" was number 1 for TEN WEEKS!  Her insane beauty and vocals and plethora of top hits should land her in the HOF easily.

GLORIA ESTEFAN
She really paved the way for Latin-American singers, though maybe she should be listed with the MIAMI SOUND MACHINE.

THE CARPENTERS
Yeah, they're pretty AM radio-friendly but Karen Carpenter had such a wonderful voice (silenced all too soon) and they had so many hits.

Also perhaps:
WHITNEY HOUSTON
MARIAH CAREY (who might still be putting out albums, making her unqualified)
JANET JACKSON

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »

here's the list of people who are on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

The Dead Kennedys should be on it.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »

I second "Weird Al" Yankovic.  I mean, started in the 70s, hits in the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s.  Sold out tours.  I mean, what's the hold up?

The Monkees aren't and probably won't be, ever, inducted, but should.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »

I dunno about Streisand-I mean- yeah-lotsa hits and all, but she ain't Rock and Roll.
May as well add Tony Bennett or Sinatra.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 08:36:43 PM »

The Runaways should most certainly be in it.
So should MC5, Sam the Sham, and the Velvet Underground.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
retrorussell

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 08:39:39 PM »

Streisand had her easy listening stuff but also disco and pop too.  I'd say she should be considered.

And definitely deserving, like, decades ago:
THREE DOG NIGHT
Wow.. multiple #1 hits and several other big hits.. there was no other sound like these guys at the time.  We sang "Joy To The World" in music class multiple times.  A true crime that these guys are not in.
Also maybe:
BOSTON, with their soaring vocals (RIP Brad Delp) and great guitar work.
Maybe DEVO as kind of nerd rock pioneers.

BTW, Velvet Underground is in the R&R HOF.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »

Oh yeah-in 1996.  Thumbup

I think the Cramps should be. They started in 1976 and were putting out records and playing live until Lux died in 2009. Heck-I've seen commercials on TV using their music!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
retrorussell

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 09:25:32 PM »

Some more deserving names:
JIM CROCE
Very short-lived career but full of great songs, including #1s "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" and "Time In A Bottle".  Couldn't believe the guy was in his early 30s when he died of a plane crash-- he looked a hell of a lot older!
REO SPEEDWAGON
Great band with soaring vocals by Kevin Cronin, and 2 fondly remembered number one songs of the 80s: "Keep On Loving You" and "Can't Fight This Feeling", among many great others including the peppy "Roll With The Changes" and "I Do' Wanna Know".
KENNY LOGGINS
Knwon for his great movie songs like "Footloose", "Danger Zone" and "I'm Alright".  He's also had many other great non-movie songs and others previously with Jim Messina.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:45 PM »

I thought I'd just look at my media player and nominate whoever has the highest song count that wasn't already in the HoF.

"Various Artists" definitely had a distinguished career and I'm shocked they haven't made it yet!  Buggedout

Next up: the Pogues (I doubt they'll make it).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »

A hint of sarcasm there, Rev?

I agree-just because bands get a lot of airplay doesn't make them great.
Bon Jovi, Journey, and Billy Joel are fairly run of the mill musicians. Lotsa airplay-but blah. Next thing you know Bread ,Loverboy and Air Supply will be in there.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 11:30:24 PM »

I'd like to see Steppenwolf, Screaming Jay Hawkins or James White and the Blacks.
That won't ever happen either.

Yet they have Neil Diamond and Tupac Shukar, who are not rock and roll. The term is used to broadly. Diamond is lounge pop.Like Tom Jones. Tupac is rap-a whole different genre. It's like calling the SAVING PRIVATE RYAN  a splatter movie because of the blood and guts.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:37:50 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 12:39:05 PM »

BLUE CHEER 

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
claws
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »

KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND
It may turn some stomachs to think of inducting another disco band but they were as hot as any in the 70s NOT named The Bee Gees.  One of the bigger-sized successful bands I can think of (around a dozen or so performers!) with several #1 hits.

Wasn't there (online) controversy because Chic didn't make Hall of Fame a few years go? Seems like the disco hate still continues  Bluesad

btw there's a website called 'not in the hall of fame' for those interested.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 04:23:52 PM »

BIG STAR

Small | Large

I don't think HITS should be or are a deciding factor. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:51:39 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Who should be next in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.